RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   Kyosho GP Twin Storm (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/6428587-kyosho-gp-twin-storm.html)

khkim0102 09-29-2007 12:57 PM

Kyosho GP Twin Storm

Hello!

I saw Kyosho GP Twin Storm on the internet. It looks beautiful. I think that because it is made by Kyosho, the quality seems to be good and reliable. But how are the quality, reliability, and performance of this boat? Can this boat handle rough water?

If I buy this one or a ShockWave 55 (Gas engine version, not a nitro version) of Pro Boat, which one is better choice? I know they are different. The one is a Nitro, the other one is a Gas!

I have thought to buy a gas boat Manta Ray, but it is a little too expensive, so that my wife doesn't want it. Thus, I am thinking about Kyosho GP Twin Storm or ShockWave 55.

Please, give me your advices. Thank you!

Vertical3-D 09-29-2007 01:32 PM

RE: Kyosho GP Twin Storm

honestly as much as I love nitro, I would have a gasser now if I had the money, so if you can afford gas then I'd say go for it, very reliable and easy to run, cheaper fuel, no stalling, they are big enough and have enough wieght to handle some fairly choppy water, they are a little louder though...I dont see a GP twinstorm on there site, are you sure it isnt a sunstorm 1000, if it is, I dont know what the hull is made out of, if its ABS that would be my first flag to avoid it, Also I am not a fan of steerable outdrives, sometimes they have a tendancey to spind out if you push it hard into a turn...other then that my expieriences with kyosho stuff have been good, the quality seems to be there and they usually are pretty good with the looks of there products...there radios arnt to bad for RTR stuff...but if you have the cash to get the gasser and a good place to run it, thats what I would pick...

khkim0102 09-29-2007 02:46 PM

Thank you for your response.

If you go to Kyosho.com, click Eglish, and then, go to the RC boat section. You will see GP Twin Storm with video.

How's the quality and reliability of ProBoat Shock Wave 55 (Gas engine version)? I saw many people said the ProBaot products are not good, so do not buy!

But a few people said it is OK.

What is exact information about ProBoat?

Vertical3-D 09-29-2007 03:12 PM

ok, Ill have a look at it and also take a look at some of the proboat stuff and let you know what I think, from what I have seen on the shockwave 55ss it looked like a decently solid boat

Vertical3-D 09-29-2007 03:27 PM

Ok, checked them out, the kyosho is fiberglass and looks decent for a RTR, its not really a could comparison, because they are two different classes of boats, the nitro is smaller, easier to transport and Im sure cheaper, it would be better to compare the kyosho to something like a supervee 27 nitro, which theres a huge thread on in this forum and seems like a good way to go and is wallet friendly, with a gasser some concerns are that you have to transport a larger heavier boat and get it in and out of the water(if the water is shallow and slopes downward gently you might have to get it 3-5 feet offshore before hitting the throttle...so it really depends on the size of boat you will be better with and better for where you run, nitro is also a little tougher to tune if you havent had one before(same as tuning a nitro car or plane engine)...so I hope that helps a bit...kinda gotta decide what suits your needs best...

khkim0102 09-29-2007 03:58 PM

Thank you again.

But I am wondering about the quality and reliability of Shock Wave 55. Do you have any ideas?

Vertical3-D 09-29-2007 04:24 PM

the new SW55ss has a zenoah in it, so you know the engine is good, and a JRxr3i is a good FM radio, so those two things are taken care off, the hull should be pretty decent, so the only things that may lack a little would probablly be hardware, and control linkages, there should be a shockwave55ss thread on here somewhere, I dont think Id buy the original yellow shockwave55, but I'd run the 55ss...any reason you are down to those two boats, if its just a sport boat to run for fun then Id look for a used enforcer with a liquid cool zenoah or homlite, if you got it cheap enough you could just put a water cooled kit on an aircooled one...they are a little heavy but nice hulls, I had an enforcer crackerbox and it was really nice...

khkim0102 09-29-2007 07:54 PM

Thank you for your answer!

Because you said, the Zenoah engine and the radio of Shock Wave 55 are good, I think a new Shock Wave55 will be a not bad choice.

I thought Manta Ray from the same company that made Enforcer, but buying a new Manta Ray is quite expensive.

But Shock Wave 55 is less expensive that Manta Ray. Now I am clinging to S.W.55.

Thank you again!

Vertical3-D 09-29-2007 08:13 PM

there is a video and gallery on there site www.proboatmodels.com that will give you an idea of what it can do...

mopartybob 09-29-2007 09:44 PM

the 55ss was my first gas boat,got it cheep,it's a great sport boat but i also added a mild-mod 260 (5+hp),beefed up some known weak area's on the hull and transom,and boy o boy,she's a sweet runner,BUT mind you,It's a SPORT boat and unless you beef her up from stem to stern,thats all she will be....;)

Vertical3-D 09-29-2007 10:01 PM

thanks mopartybob, hoping someone who owned one would chime in

khkim0102 10-02-2007 11:35 AM

Hi, Motarpybob!

Thanks for your replying.

I have questions. How to do 5 hp modification for the engine of S.W. 55?

And you said that there are weak spots on the hull and the transom. What are they? And How to make them stronger?

Thank you again!

mopartybob 10-02-2007 12:21 PM

Hi kim,I purchased my 55ss used (375.00)and in great shape(complete RTR)...:),the deals are out there and you MUST LOOK for them....I purchased the mild-mod from tony at WWH Hobbies,I chose to go with a fresh engine instead of doin the mod on the stocker,but the stocker will give you satisfactory performance out of the box(42-45mph),I just wanted to keep up with the others....[:-],while i do not know your skill level,I'll be guessin that this will be your first gasser,the 55ss comes with a clutch,but that has issues...[:'(] and i suggest going direct-drive,you'll have plenty of time to admire it standing still on your work bench,or in the middle of the lake when you run outta gas...LOL...[:-],the engine rails all the way back to the transom, and up to the top cap were re-glassed to help prevent the stress cracks that magically appear,I would strongly suggest you do this,I would also suggest some real beefy motor mounts as the stock ones WILL pull out after the first or second run....check out the ones from www.b.h.hanson.com the stock rudder blades are also doo-doo,they are too brittle and the slightest ding and kerplunk....[&o],checkout the upgrade set-up from www.aeromarine.com ,the 55ss WILL NOT do a U-turn at 45mph unless you have some Top Secret spin fins installed....:eek:,add up all these optional mods (except the re-glassin,thats a MUST-DO) and compare with the price of a WWH enforcer or magnum 57,and go from there on how you want to spend,...[:-] like I said,the DEALS are out there,be patient in your search and read some of the threads on the boats you like......good luck....:D

khkim0102 10-02-2007 12:49 PM

Hi, Mopartybob!

Thank you very much for your answer.

If I need some upgrade for SW55, I think it will cost almost same as Manta Ray of Warehouse hobby. Is it right?

I don't wnat to spend energy and time for upgrading. I just want to simply run the boat for fun.

By the way, I have been running serveral nitro boats, but now I am thinking to have a gas boat. But the price is the biggiest concerning. Becuase SW 55 is affordable, I wanted to have it. But it sounds like, this boat is not too reliable.

Maybe Manta Ray would be a good choice. But because of the price, my wife is not supportive for that.

Thank you anyay. If you have any ideas, please let me know. Have a good day!

Dan S 10-02-2007 01:01 PM

You don't have to tell your wife the real price you paid for the boat, do you?

Just say you had a good deal.;)

Dan

mopartybob 10-02-2007 01:12 PM

Hey kim,while the upgrades i mentioned are not needed,(unless sumthin breaks),the 55ss is a great SPORT boat,the only prob with the clutch is that sometimes they have been known to ship with DRY bearings...(not good) and a loose retainer screw(not loc-tited to shaft)this causes the clutch internals to wobble which will wipe out the bearings and all attached....[:'(],with that in mind,and you FIX it before runnin,(at least check it [:-]) then all is good to go....just watch out for the turtles...lol...I personnaly would not pay retail though.......

mopartybob 10-02-2007 01:16 PM

I find it easier to say I'm sorry,rather than ask permission...LOL...It also looks better with HER name on it BEFORE she see's it.........:D

goldendesign04 10-02-2007 08:18 PM

couldnt agree with you more moparty. A meaningful apology is easier dismissed then asking, debating, then promising to put it off an buying it anyway. On the shockwave topic; a friend whom I purchased a SV27 nitro from, he runs his boat almost 4 times a week at my pond with me an with vigilant maintenece (as you should already be familiar with running nitros) will consistently run as a fun play boat all day. Very minor problems that are easliy addressed with a keen eye. Highly recomend it in my humble opinion good entry level gasser

khkim0102 10-03-2007 12:20 PM

Hello, guys!

First of all, thank you for you responses.

Well, I already talked about the real price of Manta Ray to my wife. Maybe from the next time, I should not talk about the real prices.

According to your response, it sounds like SW 55's clutch needs lubrication and maintenance very often.

Do you recommend SW55 or not?

Oh, and I don't want to buy nitro boats any more. But if I buy again, I would buy Kyosho GP Twin Strom. But thank you for your recommendation for Super V 27.

Thank you again, and talk to later!

mopartybob 10-03-2007 12:33 PM

actually,it's a one-shot type maintenance deal, it's just that you HAVE to do it,BEFORE you give it the first run,OR,you can just do away with it and go direct-drive....:DI'm sure you would be more than satisfied with one.....

khkim0102 10-03-2007 06:20 PM

Hello, mopartybob!

Then, how to take out the clutch and make it a direct-drive? To do that, don't I need an extra longer propeller shaft and some other things?

Thank you for your attention.

mopartybob 10-03-2007 06:55 PM

simpler than you think kim,...:D,unlike a round cable that uses a clinch type collet to hold it onto the shaft,the 55ss uses a squared end cable that "floats" in the squared groove of the adaptor,no need to change anything as the length of the coupler compensates for the extra cable needed....I think the coupler is like 10.00bucks ...not sure ..will try to find the link.....hopefully someone knows offhand where this can be located,I can't find one....[:@]

Showell0027 10-07-2007 01:14 PM

Hey everyone i was wonering if someone can help me out im new at this boating so i just got a Kyosho viper GT .16 so i cleaned it up went and got fuel and a glow warmer its a hotshot 2...dont know is that a good one...?? and got the motor to turn over and it runs but its kinda reving high but i never had one so mabye thats just the way they are we'll i go to put it in the water and its goes for little bit and as soon as i try to open it up all the way it stalls everytime without fail...so does anyone have a idea why this is happend??? thanks oh yea even when i have it out of the water too... so

khkim0102 10-09-2007 04:27 PM

Hi, Shpwell 00327!

It sounds like the high speed niddle setting is too lean. When it is too lean, the engine might eork at the full throttle out of water. But in the water, at the full throttle, it stalls.

So richen out the high speed needel between 2 1/2 and 3 turuns out and then, run it on the water. If it dies still, richen up a littel more, and then run it again. Untill the engine does not die, you repeat the same process.

I hope it will work. Good luck. Your kyosho boat is a good one. You just need a proper setting of the needles.

Showell0027 10-17-2007 12:56 PM

K thanks ... I give it a shot... !!! Oh yea maybe i should replace the glow plug someone told me at the park what kind do I know what to Order ...is there a size for these... the Kyosho Viper GT .16 motor I think its the .16SMR motor ????