RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   what is the best? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/6521043-what-best.html)

fastnitrofiberglass 10-21-2007 08:51 PM

what is the best?

I am looking for the best upgrade carb and tuned pipe for the nitro hammer i am building this boat because getting my big monos out is too much for just a little weekend fun price and noise is no factor this build i expect to be a good $1500 cheaper than most i do with the hulls i buy from MHZ USA so post links please to whatever you feel is the best of the best thanks in advance! :D

Vertical3-D 10-21-2007 09:11 PM

RE: what is the best?

why not just drop an OS .18 and macs 2.5cc pipe in there...that'd beat the stock setup by alot...with a good prop on it... or if your really ambitious some have gone to surface drives on them...depends on what you wanna do, if you want outta hand power Im sure you could wedge a hot .21 in there try to keep it on the water...

wave waker 10-21-2007 09:15 PM

IMO, not worth to upgrade carb...

Jerry Dunlap 10-21-2007 10:24 PM

Easy pipe upgrade is to go to a truck pipe and stick the exhaust out the side of the boat.

JD

GRANT ED 10-22-2007 02:56 AM

A friend of mine fitted a mac pipe to his and it didn't make much difference in speed. Having said that he didn't mess with lengths much. It did however make the boat much, much louder.

fastnitrofiberglass 10-22-2007 07:08 AM

I was thinking of putting a .21 in the EP hammer i have now i've got an old pirhanna .21 from a forgoton mean machine i was gonna build a couple weeks ago but the evil elixer that is nitro got spilled on the hull (dang unsealed and on a high shelf nitro bottle) it was 45% it ate right through the thing i was thinking about putting that engine in one of my dead monos sitting around but i still wanted a sport boat i think i might try the O.S. .18 idea they are only like $85 at tower less shipping costs it should be a drop in upgrade i'll possibly add a stinger but they cavitate so much in choppy water so i don't know about that one yet please keep your ideas coming this could turn out better than i thought i'm still wondering about a carb though when i swapped the carb on my vegas she flew I wish i knew a good one for this boat... Oh yah and there are muffled mac pipes if i had to choose between the regular and that i would take it then i could run it in a few more places i know of it's just that people get kind of well ANNOYED when your boat is to loud you should have seen the look on this guys face when i was running my ops .67 mono up there (he called the cops and smiled at me) lol.

wave waker 10-22-2007 03:55 PM

ORIGINAL: fastnitrofiberglass

I was thinking of putting a .21 in the EP hammer i have now i've got an old pirhanna .21 from a forgoton mean machine i was gonna build a couple weeks ago but the evil elixer that is nitro got spilled on the hull (dang unsealed and on a high shelf nitro bottle) it was 45% it ate right through the thing i was thinking about putting that engine in one of my dead monos sitting around but i still wanted a sport boat i think i might try the O.S. .18 idea they are only like $85 at tower less shipping costs it should be a drop in upgrade i'll possibly add a stinger but they cavitate so much in choppy water so i don't know about that one yet please keep your ideas coming this could turn out better than i thought i'm still wondering about a carb though when i swapped the carb on my vegas she flew I wish i knew a good one for this boat... Oh yah and there are muffled mac pipes if i had to choose between the regular and that i would take it then i could run it in a few more places i know of it's just that people get kind of well ANNOYED when your boat is to loud you should have seen the look on this guys face when i was running my ops .67 mono up there (he called the cops and smiled at me) lol.

i heard that .21 piranha is a good engine, but putting it on nitrohammer with only 24" long will surely have a stability issue and u'll be not happy of the outcome..also, the shaft will be change to bigger one...i'll go for .18 on it...it's direct drop...

fastnitrofiberglass 10-22-2007 08:09 PM

yah but the pirahnna is heavy and i would have ballast weights up front and the engine sitting very low if i did that plus some monster trim tabs like 1" by 1 1/2" or 1 1/2" by 1 1/2" but your right people make sw36's go in the upper 40's with those and the ballast weight and the engine weight would cause it to sit to low in the water and if it flips it completely sinks...

I'd call the nitro hammer a lemon stock and I might just have to go with my old saying "When life gives you lemons... SHUTUP AND EAT YOUR DAMN LEMONS!":D man i love that smiley...

Vertical3-D 10-22-2007 08:31 PM

I dont see while people are so against the .21...drop that monster in there and light it up... Id rather have enough power to cause stability problems and have to slow down then put around with a .15...I have a hammer ep...the hull design could handle that engine...its got to be one of the most stable boats I have ever driven...cannot flip it if I tried...turns around it about a foot...although I am an engine nut and a huge fan of stuffing large engines in small stuff...so my opinion is a bit bias...

fastnitrofiberglass 10-22-2007 08:53 PM

I've got to agree with you if it has staility problems SLOW DOWN its not gonna hurt anything and i took my ep hammer out on a day with 1 and a half foot chop with a 2s lipo and brand new brushes running without trim tabs and i couldn't flip it i literally started trying to but i couldn't maybe it has something to do with the 15 mph. speed... at leat the hull was flooded i felt like i finally was able to somehow prove in some crazy way that the hammer wasn't unsinkable one guy asked me if it was self-righting once i looked at him like he was crazy and said no it doesn't look stupid how could it be self-righting and if it was it would have to be one of those really thick hulls that just plow the hammer has a good design it starts out as a deep vee and gradually goes to a semi vee (it's actually almost flat) i love that thing!

fastnitrofiberglass 10-23-2007 06:32 AM

$354.73 thats the cost of this little venture the rossi i sold to the guy at my hobbie shop ($275) i had only broke it in so he gave me almost full price i'm going to put an O.S. .18 a macs 2.5 pipe and a nice prop on it i expect a good 35-40mph. from this little thing the only other cost is a new fuel filter and an exhaust header (it's really for the vegas but it is short and wide HIGH FLOW) this is gonna be a fun little boat you'll have to wait til christmas for pictures that's when i'm getting a working camera [&o] so i'll have them in a while but by then i'll have it running like a champ if you have any other ideas lay em on me there is still way to many things i'd like to do with this little project (and the pullstart stays so don't give me the remote electric start idea TOO HEAVY TO MUCH WORK) I hate onboard electric starters they are heavy BECAUSE IF YOU WANT ONE THAT CAN ACTUALLLY TURN A STALLED MOTOR OVER YOU NEED A 12V. BATTERY!!! so i'll keep the pull start thanks for your ideas so far and wave waker you are right it is a direct drop in other than a flywheel and new exhaust header.

Thanks,
P.S. ONBOARD STARTERS SUCK...

fastnitrofiberglass 10-23-2007 03:46 PM

what prop should i run on this setup? w/the .18

Vertical3-D 10-23-2007 04:21 PM

if it was surface drive I would suggest w/e prop guys are running on the SV27 nitro...but with subsurface I have got no clue, I am gonna try to run a grim racer 3 blade for a SV27 nitro on my new project which is using a .30 four stroke for power with sumerged drive...but I think you will need something smaller then that...Id go with a 3 blade though becuase clearance is limited between prop and hull on the hammers...

fastnitrofiberglass 10-23-2007 04:57 PM

I can do what i did on my ep hammer because it was cavitating when i was running a bigger carbon prop i just slanted the drive down more there is an intended upgrade prop for that boat i think i'll try it since i'm running in rougher water surface drive is no option the prop is a grimracer it works better than the 3 blade grim prop on my friends sv maybe i'll try a lifter i'm still split on nthis or a prather lifter.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRUD4&P=ML

fastnitrofiberglass 10-23-2007 05:00 PM

is there a better pipe than a macs 2.5 to run on this?

Vertical3-D 10-23-2007 05:06 PM

thats probably the best pipe, I wouldnt run a lifter on it...they are for hydros and riggers that need the back lifted up more...on your boat I would think it would hurt top speed and try to push the nose down too much

fastnitrofiberglass 10-23-2007 05:07 PM

I was thinking of just going with a supervee and dropping a macs pipe in it but i would have to convert to submerged drive for rough water and that hull sits low in the water is a bit on the unstable side and is cramped full of heavy crap and the middle-mounted space using radio box scores no points with me the boat is just set up all wrong well it's really just packed with too much junk and the hull is skinny i'm gonna be taking my real boat out and running it on the local sandbar (dogs love to chase these things) so i need a more stable hull are you going to make a buildup thread your project sounds cool?;)

fastnitrofiberglass 10-23-2007 05:33 PM

Yah but in running a lifter I would also be able to keep the stock trim tabs on the boat. just bend em up a little that would work.

fastnitrofiberglass 10-23-2007 05:34 PM

what about a fuel filter do they really help?

Vertical3-D 10-23-2007 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
you know offshore race boats that run in heavy chop ruun surface drives...every single one of them does...once a surface drive boat is on plane they hook up really solidly...my boat leaps clean out of the water at 50mph riding on just the prop and it never has problems...but I wouldnt do it on a hammer just do to complexity...and the supervee 27 would kill a nitro hammer even one with an .18 in it...just a much better hull, and its setup much more like a raceboat then the hammer is, heres a picture of my 7.5 mono...its cramped too...as for fuel filters I have never run them...I always run a failsafe though, but I keep my fuel in the jug where it is pumped directly into an airplane style tank that I put in new and is always drained after a day of running, so I dont get a dirt problem...as for the trim tabs with a non lifting prop and the tabs level with the hull it should be fine...the boat really has no adjustability anyway...so just put in the big engine and pipe, put a bigger prop on and run it, then if the nose rides high tweak the tabs down just a bit, or just rebalance the boat...I put a bigger tank in mine to put more weight up front...when the fuel gets low I can tell cause it starts to really float on the prop and gets to be a handful when its running at 50mph...heres a picture though to show that most performance boats are cramed...its an old race boat...and yeah Ill do a thread on my new boat once I get the hardware for it and the hull painted, its already built, flat bottom wood hull

fastnitrofiberglass 10-23-2007 07:18 PM

Nice boat i might strip down one of my old monos and just build it up again as a sport boat i have an old 26" mono around that i ran a hacker brushless in i guess i'll drop a .21 in it it used to win races in the 3.5cc class with an O.S. .21vz-m it was a different boat same hull not quite sure which hull it is though i just bought three of them down at my local hobby shop they were used and $20 good enough for me...

fastnitrofiberglass 10-24-2007 03:43 PM

what i mean by choppy water is the boat flies completely out of it and comes down and hits it again (we call it rock skipping) last time i tried using a surface drive it would bite in then the boat would hit a wave fly, and it would hit the water and cavitate and i would have to back down and throttle up again and if you floor it from a low speed or dead stop it cavitates i've never had this problem with a submerged drive and on a surface drive lowering the strut has never helped.

fastnitrofiberglass 10-24-2007 03:52 PM

I've always run McCoys in my rossi engines and turbo engines but what would be best for a stock o.s. (GlowPlug)

fastnitrofiberglass 10-29-2007 05:22 PM

Forget this i'm buying one of these puppys:

http://www.radiocontrol-2005.com/DragonflyRTR.htm