RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   1/8 Scale build's got pics show'em! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/6604086-1-8-scale-builds-got-pics-showem.html)

toyotatruckin 11-10-2007 02:17 AM

1/8 Scale build's got pics show'em!

Got pictures of your 1/8 scale boats, builds or Plans for the future post them up!

Hydro Junkie 11-10-2007 02:32 AM

RE: 1/8 Scale build's got pics show'em!

1 Attachment(s)
you mean like these?

chief3452 11-10-2007 07:40 AM

Wowzers! Great looking stuff Junkie! I really dig the Pay-n-Pak gasser, you should do a build thread on it. The Madison is cool too, is it 1/8th scale? I think your name is right on the money. Keep up the good work.

chief3452 11-10-2007 08:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are my 1/8th scale projects. The black boat is going to be the '72 Dame, the white boat is going to be the '71 Pak, and the pile of sticks is going to be '68-72 Bud. The black boat is ready for trials except for paint, it has an old Picco .65 engine and a Futaba 3 channel radio. The Pay-n-Pak has yet to be started and the Budweiser is going on the building board next after my gas hydro is done. She will have a Magnum .91 4-stroke with an overdrive because I want at least one my boats to sound close to the real thing.

chief3452 11-13-2007 08:53 PM

Not many 1/8 scale builders. You got a build going toyotatruckin?

toyotatruckin 11-13-2007 09:09 PM

Sure i do, I'm always building something,just not a scale boat..

fast1 11-14-2007 12:04 AM

im building the 94 smokin joes. starting to skin the bottom of the sponsons. right now. hope to have it ready for water by the spring. was wondering your guys opinion on engine. i like the ops because of reliablity and i can get parts easy, plus i have one in a mono that i love. i know its not the fastest. what do you guys think. i will try to get some pics up soon.

f16man 11-14-2007 08:12 AM

OPS is a good engine has a lot of grunt , seen them run a little more prop than the mac's and cmb's and stay in the race. With a little lovin and some 60 % nitro it should run very well.

t_hedlund 11-14-2007 07:28 PM

Here are my girls:
This is my Miss 7-11. It is a Thunderboat production. I bought it used off of E-bay, Need a paint job.
[link=http://gallery.intlwaters.com/displayimage.php?album=853&pos=0]IW gallery[/link]

Here is my work in progress, It is a 1982 Dumas Atlas Van Lines another e-bay boat, I have been working on this for about 2+ years I'm changing it to a 83. I would like to get this boat to run 1 race season and then maybe sell her. To make room for another boat.
[link=http://gallery.intlwaters.com/displayimage.php?album=538&pos=24]IW Atlas [/link]

chief3452 11-15-2007 04:55 AM

Hey T,

Isn't rehab-ing a hull fun? I'm doing 2 ebay boats, and I will never do it again. The hours I have spent stripping paint, hull repair, reconfiguring radio layout, engine mounting, rudder placement...I don't know about you, but I would have been money ahead to just buy new or build a wood boat. But your builds look great, the Atlas should be nice, have you run the 7-11? It looks like it is ready to go, eh? keep us posted.

Scott

toyotatruckin 11-15-2007 09:05 AM

rebuilding boats is fun if you ask me, just wait till you get it done and have taken a boat that was worth nothing and made it look and run great!
examples:
Before
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...hotos/maus.jpg
after
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/100_0641.jpg
before
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/100_0565.jpg
after
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/100_0830.jpg

t_hedlund 11-15-2007 11:02 PM

Actually the e-bay boat aren't that bad , I have learned a lot. But with the atlas at least once thru a mod i almost talk my self into building a new one from scratch.

The 7-11 flies , literly, it is too nose light, and we are working thru that and hope fully we will run a full schedule and maybe finish some races.

Cool boats Toyotatruckin

chief3452 11-17-2007 08:37 AM

Hey T,

Keep up the good work on the Atlas. I see your picture gallery is on another forum, I belong to that one too and it seems the users there don't like to share pics and info very much. Start a re-hab thread, let us know how it's going.

Thanks,

Scott.

t_hedlund 11-19-2007 10:40 PM

Thanks, The Atlas is quite a project, i don't know if i'll ever get that boat painted. As far as international water , the board has been a little on the slow side lately , but that should pick up soon. Many of the user from there are on here also. But anyhow, do search there are several threads that discuss various parts of my atlas rebuild. Maybe some day i'll comply on long step my step sheet on it. I was keeping a list of all the things i changed , like a boat history, but i 'm not sure where i placed it.
Tom

thevirginian 11-20-2007 08:03 AM

Junkie;
I admire all your hydro projects. Are you working on all of them at the same time? I am about to start my scratch build hydro and I have a question for you: If you made the fiberglass hoods (cowls) yourself, what is the best way to do it. I don't necessarely want to make a mold for one hood. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hydro Junkie 11-20-2007 06:36 PM

There is a thread started on that very topic in the general forum. I myself am not a fiberglass expert, so that may be of much more help than I can. BTW, when you say time to build, you talking you or me?

thevirginian 11-21-2007 07:57 AM

Hey, Junkie;
I worked with fiberglass for many years, so I know what to expect making a mold. That's why I wanted to know if you chose a different method than making a mold for the hoods. You can also make a plug using blue board, fiberglass over the out side, sand it smooth and then disolve the foam with acetone. Or you build it with thin balsa strips over stations and then glass it. Anyway, I am looking for that thread in the general forum now.

thevirginian 11-30-2007 08:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are my plans in PDF. The bulkheads and stringers are on other sheets. Hope I can upload PDF pictures. In the meantime I built this boat using blas wood. Choosing this method helps you find problem areas and allows you to alter your project before you go with expensive ply wood. I will post pictures of my balsa moddel as well.

misshydro 11-30-2007 03:08 PM

If that for gas or nitro?? your hydro plans??[&:]

gooycheese 11-30-2007 03:21 PM

That is a gas plan, or it is showing a gas engine atleast.

thevirginian 11-30-2007 08:36 PM

misshydro;
It's meant for a Zenoah 26. I designed the boat myself in CAD. Once it is built and glassed I will run it and see how she handles, before I out the finish on her. I probably will start a building thread in the gas boat forum and document the progress with photos. I also designed the running hardware and I going to fab it in my little shop.

misshydro 11-30-2007 09:00 PM

I would be very interested in building a gas hydro! I was going to try to put a gas in a 1/8 scale hydro.

piper_chuck 11-30-2007 09:23 PM

ORIGINAL: gooycheese

That is a gas plan, or it is showing a gas engine atleast.
Was it the spark plug, square jug, pull starter, or wrap to center pipe that helped you figure that out? ;)

misshydro 12-01-2007 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is not my build.But I Saw this on jim r-c boatdocks. This guys is putting a 260 gas in his miller dumas 1/8 hydro kit. As form the pic he'd posted it will fit!!!!:D Also saw this up for sale on ebay too!:) These pics give me the idea what this miller hydro looks like. I will put a different cowl on it plus a inclosed cockpit too.:D

Hydro Junkie 12-02-2007 01:45 AM

Actually, it doesn't fit. By the time he gets the carb and header on mounted, he will either have to chop the cowl or the deck. It's a shame, in my opinion, since I have a hard time with hack jobs.