RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   exaust cooling (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/6767457-exaust-cooling.html)

venom290 12-17-2007 12:54 AM

exaust cooling

What are the advantages (if any) of putting discharge water from cooling systm INTO exhaust on a nitro engine. Does it quiet it down?
Already have a cooling coil on outside of header.I have a habit of running a little lean and or hot and it helps to keep connector hose from meltin.
venom

Spetz 12-17-2007 01:26 AM

RE: exaust cooling

To my understanding hotter exhaust gases flow quicker which equals to more power
However, in RC terms, maybe the water cooling is more to keep the engine cooler itself rather than the exhaust

nothinbetr2do 12-17-2007 09:00 AM

if your saying to plum it so the cooling discharge goes inside the exhaust and out the pipe, i don't think that would work. i might be wrong not to sure. but i don't think your motor would run right, if at all. if your looking to just quiet up your boat, you can get different pipes and or mufflers.

KENT SEAL 12-31-2007 05:16 PM

Yes...DO NOT DIRECT WATER INTO YOUR PIPE! Use the water to cool the HEADER!

KENT SEAL 12-31-2007 05:20 PM

What's up gamesbeer1? You live around the corner from me. How 'bout that! (Elkton, MD) Where do you run?

nothinbetr2do 12-31-2007 05:39 PM

ORIGINAL: KENT SEAL

What's up gamesbeer1? You live around the corner from me. How 'bout that! (Elkton, MD) Where do you run?
hey what's going on. your only about 30 minutes from me, i run on a small pond in de, right off of 896. and i run on alittle bit bigger one on the de, md line. it's on old baltimore pike. i met up with another guy on here this past fall(he lives in de to) that was cool. we're going to be getting together this spring. where do you run? it would be cool to hook up and run sometime, let me know

Ron Olson 12-31-2007 05:45 PM

Gas boaters have done this in the past as the water artificially shortens the length of the pipe.
Me, I wouldn't try it as I'd be more worried about water going back down into the combustion chamber.

venom290 12-31-2007 08:19 PM

Ok, so no water INTO exaust.
How bout the cooling coil I put on the header. No ill effects that I can see, and does seem to keep coupler cool.
venom

nothinbetr2do 12-31-2007 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: venom290

Ok, so no water INTO exaust.
How bout the cooling coil I put on the header. No ill effects that I can see, and does seem to keep coupler cool.
venom
i did the same thing to mine and it seems to work good for me, anything to combat heat

nothinbetr2do 12-31-2007 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's a pic

Spetz 12-31-2007 10:01 PM

What's the benefit of that though?

Ron Olson 12-31-2007 10:03 PM

That keeps from frying the silicone pipe couplers.

nothinbetr2do 12-31-2007 10:08 PM

yup, thanks ron. i've got over 2 gallons with the same coupler. and if you guys want to do it, just get some frig ice maker copper tubing and some play ground grade sand. then i taped one end of the tubing to keep the sand from coming out. then fill the tubing with sand. then hold the tubing against the header(after you take it off) keeping it alittle long on the starting end. this will give you some thing to hold on to. and start bending. the sand will keep the tubing from kinking on you. after your done just make sure to get all the sand out, then cut to length and fit in the boat

Ron Olson 01-01-2008 12:24 AM

No sand handy? Table salt will work also as long as you're not heating the tubing.

glennb2006 01-01-2008 08:31 AM

One to remember is that as you are cooling the exhaust header, and thus the exhaust gases, then the pipe tuned length needs to be adjusted to compensate for the cooler exhaust gases to enable optimisation of power output from the motor.

If you have access to more comprehensive workshop facilities, a water jacket can be fabricated up around the header, effectively making it a twin wall pipe with water cooling on it. Obviously needs to be welded or silver soldered /brazed up to make it water tight.

I have been told that JB weld works, but am not vouching for that as I have not used it before.

Glenn

RKS1949 07-13-2008 10:17 AM

I smoked the coupler on my MV. I need to find a "good" replacement coupler. What size should I look for? Areo Trend has some "cream" coupler tubing,that is supposed to be about bullet proof,but I'm not sure what size to get, ID/OD? I ordered a Nitro SV27 cooling coil for the header,but need a new coupler too.Ron

Ron Olson 07-13-2008 10:43 AM

Measure the outside diameter of the header and pipe. It's probably in the neighborhood of 1/2".

jetpack 07-14-2008 10:31 AM

Some guys are starting to use Teflon tubing instead of silicon, but it has to be heated with a torch to fit it, and spring clamps used after because the heat will loosen them up again, but last forever.

The water injection into the exhaust gasses was experimented with Mercury Marine in standard boat engines for a few years, and only netted a miniscule advantage.

RKS1949 07-15-2008 09:48 AM

Thanks,for the information,guy's! Ron