RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   Need some help? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/8136084-need-some-help.html)

241 racing 11-11-2008 10:12 AM

Need some help?

I'm new to boats but have been running nitro cars for years.I would like to get a nitro boat but have no clue on whats good and whats not worth buying.I would like to start with a 400 or less boat to see if it's for me.I have been looking at the miss vegas boats but they are pretty small so don't know how good it would handle.I like the looks of the bud boats aswell.Any links or sites I should look at.I don't need a serious speed boat just looking for some fun.Any ideas on a boat would be great.

Ron Olson 11-11-2008 12:02 PM

RE: Need some help?

Food for thought:
A lot of people bought the Pro Boat Miss Bud because of what it represented, one that most people could identify with and were first-time boaters. Unfortunately a lot of those went up for sale on eBay and other places because they didn't have a clue of how to use it. They need fairly calm water and a toss to get them going and once they're rolling you have to keep them up to speed.
For a new-to-boats R/C'er you might want to look at a nice Vee hulled boat.

241 racing 11-11-2008 01:06 PM

Ok well like I said I'm new to boats and don't know whats good or not.Any recomended v hull boats?where is a good place online to look?There are so many manufatures that I don't no whats total junk and whats good.Any paticular brands I should look at?

Ron Olson 11-11-2008 01:29 PM

You might want to try the hobby shops in your area. Al's Hobby Shop in Elmhurst would be a good one to try as Cindy, the person running the place races boats. Not knowing the Windy City that well there has to be more shops in the area worth checking out.
The Pro Boat Shockwave 36 isn't a bad boat but not one that I'd consider a great one to start off with. Seeing how it's not exactly good boat running season right now I'd take my time looking around. find a boat that you might be interested in then do a search in here. More than likely you'll find a thread on it.
Nitro power is a good choice if you ever decide to get into racing as gas and electric racing is almost non-existant in your area plus you'll find some RTR boat classes available if you'd like to try that down the road. The Aquacraft Super-Vee 27 Nitro boat is a popular one for the RTR class.

241 racing 11-11-2008 01:39 PM

Thanks I will talk to them at al's hobby.I go there quite often for offroad stuff but they have alot of boats just never really wanted one before.I have been watching alot of videos with my son and it looks fun so thought I would look into it.Thanks again.

mike walker 11-11-2008 03:38 PM

241 racing I also am new to boats, I stared with a tunnle and Ron O had to help me with that I think he and all the good people here got me hooked I now have two miss v and two tunnles. a friend of mine wanted to give it shot he went and got a super v27 we read the thead on it checked it out did some of things they talked about and stuck it in the water and having a ball

best I can see they all have little problems but can be over come good luck and have fun

PS i think I am sold on aquacraft also I cant get that last line back up

mike

suprapilot 11-12-2008 12:03 AM

Yeah the aquacraft nitro sv27 is def a good first boat...I was in the same "boat" as you...I am into nitro cars and wanted my first nitro boat..I really wanted the Pro Boat blackjack 26 nitro but it wasnt avail at the time i was looking to buy so i went with the sv27 and cant be happier..Plus they have great service...I cant get enough of this boat..I run it every chance i get ..its also pretty darn fast for a beginner boat but you get used to it..
Also the traxxas nitro vee is pretty good...its not as fast but it has user friendly features like a return to shore system instead of trying to get your stranded boat back with a fishing pole, and it has a clutch also so you ca stop completely in the water with the engine still running...one feature i wish the sv27 had
Most rtr boats dont have clutches so its a slight challenge to remember to keep it moving at all times..especially when your used to cars

f16man 11-13-2008 08:37 AM

I have tried to drive my son's nitro road car [50mph] and I am pretty much out of control the whole time ha ha ,so driving rc boats should be a cake walk for you but remember to run the engine on the rich side compared to your cars, I would agree that aquacraft products are the best of the rtr boats out there except the hammer [too small]both my sons started with a miss vegas and realy did well with them, Now they are building 1/8 scale hydros [I need more speed Dad!!!!] uh oh........

suprapilot 11-13-2008 01:30 PM

^^^ I always here different opinions on weather to run boats more rich or more lean then cars...

I was told, since boats are water cooled they run much cooler then cars therefore a leaner condition is ok, which sounds logical to me.

Then some people say since boats use more nitro content you need to run richer for more lube...but then again since the boat is running cooler, that kind of makes up for needing more lube..As it seems they would cancel each other out..

So which is it??

RcFlyer06 11-13-2008 10:30 PM

Hey I'm also an experienced RCer trying to jump into the boats. I've got a Traxxas Nitro Vee on the way that I want to get running right. Are there any immediate mods that anyone knows I should take care of before hitting the water? Is there a "proper" way to drive boats (like a way to tell if your cavitating or if your about to lose grip of the water)? I'm really concerned about spinning out or flipping the about. Do it to a car no biggy but the fact that this thing will be in the middle of alot of water makes me nervous!

suprapilot 11-13-2008 10:50 PM

They arent hard to drive and IMO they are harder to crash then a car, but only thing is when you crash with a boat its much more difficult to get it back. I have been racing cars for a while but just got into boats

Ive only had one nitro rtr boat so far and I love it..I have an SV27, its been rolled and flipped a few times and its still running strong..the radio box is darn good and the boat can take a beating...Boat was very easy to get up and running quickly..
I think the Nitro Vee is even easier to drive then alot of other nitro boats since its got a clutch and you can come to a stop in the water completely, unlike others where you constantly need to be moving to keep the motor running, and i beelive the nitro vee has a return to shore system if the engine quits..

Most people will say a fishing pole with a tennis ball is the cheapest way to retrieve the stranded boat...I have found that a small stick with a fishing pole is the best way..

Hydro Junkie 11-13-2008 11:31 PM

Suprapilot, you need to run richer with a boat than with a car. The difference is that a car runs at higher RPMs and through a gearbox while a boat is direct drive and needs the extra lubrication and power from running more fuel

Ron Olson 11-13-2008 11:44 PM

OK, to set things straight (kind of). Things do get confusing when you start talking how to tune for the weather. Colder weather means denser air and it also means colder water generally. Both will affect performance. You're not using the extra nitro for added cooling but for more performance. A side affect of running higher nitro is that yes, you are adding more oil because you are also adding more fuel, it's a percentage thing.
As far as the clutch on the Nitro-Vee, it's not there to come to a complete stop on the water then take off again. Do that too much and you'll cook the engine as you need water flowing through the head to keep it cool. The clutch is one, a safety feature so that it sin't spinning while walking to launch it. Second, you can't use the RTS system without it.
The onboard starter and RTS also add a lot of weight to an already underpowered boat. You'll find that it will take a while for it to get up on plane because of the extra weight.
I own a SV-27 Nitro, got one a few days before they hit the market and the #1 problem with it so far has been the radio box. It's cheap and thin. I'm on my second one now which has fallen apart on me. I'm going to build a wood box for it as I can't see spending another $39.00 for another.

RcFlyer06 11-14-2008 12:25 AM

How DOES the rts system work? I see that it's geared into the system, but is there a seperate battery for the motor? How does the system know when to turn the motor on?
How do I make the boat more stable in turns? I guess thats my main concern is rollig it. If I spin out w/e but I just dont want her upside down! I know there's the little turn fin on the back of the hull, is that the only thing that dictates the turn stability? I also heard that the Nitro Vee has cooling issues and that you have to trade out the water lines...just with larger tubing???

Ron Olson 11-14-2008 01:06 AM

It kicks in when you put full reverse into the transmitter which turn on the motor. A tiny gear flips over between the one on the motor and the flywheel. Once to shore, just swing it out of the way.
How I understand it, the motor runs off the receiver pack which could drain it quickly if you have a way to go to get it back. If something hapens to the clutch like a broken spring then the RTS won't do you any good as it won't be able to crank the engine over. I'd still have an alternate way of getting it back in case it does flip, gets hung up in weeds or some other problem.

suprapilot 11-14-2008 12:21 PM

I do agree tho..the nitro vee isnt the fastest rtr out there, but its prob one of the best handling one rough water ..check out some videos..people are running them in water i wouldnt even dream about with the sv27...Its def a good first boat to have