RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   k&b 7.5 flex lube ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/9230941-k-b-7-5-flex-lube.html)

Darkseacret 11-05-2009 05:41 PM

k&b 7.5 flex lube ?

I am replacing a broken flex shaft on my 7.5 and I have a tub of Prather flex grease can I lube the 7.5s flex with this or should I use the oil/stp blend? Also do I need to remove the flex each time for lubing or can I flush lower unit assembled through 2 lower weep holes ? I ve been using a syrnge to flush but was wondering if I should remove and store flat and pack with the Prather grease for lube ? Thnkx

RickeyRockstar 11-05-2009 06:17 PM

RE: k&b 7.5 flex lube ?

definitely pack it.

Hydro Junkie 11-05-2009 09:06 PM

Send a PM to OB Nut or Jerry Dunlap. They both have been running tunnels for years and know the outboard engines like the back of their hands. Not sure about OB Nut, but I do know that Jerry has several national championships in the various classes of outboard tunnels and would probably be more than willing to help you out

Ron Olson 11-06-2009 12:57 AM

I've used the 20w50 and STP mix when I ran OB tunnels and never a problem. I don't have any issues with Prather grease either as I've been using that for years. The boats seemed to run faster with the STP/oil mix but it's nice to use grease also as you don't have to relube as often.
What you can do with any cable it to pre-lube them in a light oil like ATF, light machine oil or hydraulic jack fluid. Let it or them soak in the stuff for a while, like days or more if you can, as that gets in between the strands.

ob nut 11-06-2009 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Before every run, put the 50/50 mix of 80/90 gear lube / STP oil treatment. When you have the bottom halves apart, drill a hole on the upper mount (where the powerhead contacts the lower). See the pic of the SS motor from K&B. Make large enough to get the mixture in. keep it flowing unti it comes out the bottom holes. I use a Bru Line glue syringe to get the mix into the lower. When done running for the day, shafts come out and are placed in a leak proof container that has the oil mixture in it.

ob nut 11-06-2009 06:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

Send a PM to OB Nut or Jerry Dunlap. They both have been running tunnels for years and know the outboard engines like the back of their hands. Not sure about OB Nut, but I do know that Jerry has several national championships in the various classes of outboard tunnels and would probably be more than willing to help you out
I did finish 2nd (behind JD) at the 2007 Tunnel champs in the D Sport class!

Hydro Junkie 11-06-2009 08:29 PM

Look at the bright side Mark, I did mention you first in a nonsolicited plug:D