RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   superchargers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/9653174-superchargers.html)

ponch2478 04-11-2010 02:12 PM

superchargers

Has anyone tried a super charger from RB Innovations. I'm looking at trying one on my Miss Vegas.

Tombsy 04-11-2010 03:13 PM

RE: superchargers

From what I've gathered the car and truck superchargers don't work on boats because they work against the tuned pipe. And some debate whether they work on cars and trucks at all.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif
Probably better to get a good tuned pipe for your boat that's the real supercharger.

DRAGONFIRE81M 04-11-2010 03:58 PM

waist of money . and a tuning nightmare . i have hard some people that have cooked their motor b/c it was running lean b/c you cant tune it . a good tuned pipe is far better this the super charger

misshydro 04-11-2010 06:15 PM

this subject been hashed out for three years now.. dont waste your money..junk.. plus one guy blewup his bottom end of his motor..your better off getting a good tune pipe and motor...

ponch2478 04-11-2010 07:06 PM

Thanks for all the input. I guess I am looking for some recomendations for new engines and pipes then.

andybenton 04-11-2010 08:05 PM

basically the supercharger forces air into the crankcase, and its near impossible to get enough fuel to go with it.

on a nitro 4 stroke they may have some grounds to work since there is actual valves that can close and create pressure giving the carb enough time to inject some more fuel, however to the best of my knowledge they rob just as much HP as they make and cause over heating, as well as reducing the amount of lube in the lower end

2 strokes are simple and like to be left simple (K.I.S.S rule, keep it simple stupid applies to almost everything RC)
a nice header and tuned pipe are best.

macs  tuned pipes are good and from what i understand hpi headers are good. if you've got a dremel match the size of the exhaust exit on the motor to the header, or match the header to the exhaust ports. (port matching).   

as far as motors. if the boat you've got originally had a .12 or a .15 try a .18 since they all mount in the same space.
if its a larger size than that, im not really sure what motors share similar lower end sizes.

also playing with your prop can help you gain speed, as well as polishing the surfaces that contact the water (strut, rudder) which will reduce drag.

ponch2478 04-11-2010 08:15 PM

I have a 3 year old miss vegas and and I have the macs .10-.18 pipe on it, I haven't done any trimming on it cuz it seems to get up on the pipe just fine but would be open to trimming a bit. I have the grim racer 36x55 prop. I have ran 60% fuel thru it since it was new. The head shim is out but I really didn't notice a difference. I am really just a casual boater so I don't want to spend a ton of money. How much better would the Super Tiger motor that comes in the Duece be?

ponch2478 04-11-2010 08:35 PM

Thanks for all the info everyone. Can someone explain how to do the sponson mods on the miss vegas.

JWMods 04-12-2010 07:38 AM

yeah peeps scatter when ya don't stay in your lane

amax 04-12-2010 09:34 AM

The OS CV-RMx .18 is the most common engine used to upgrade 15 to 18 sized RTR Boats, it's a good strong. dependable engine that when Properly Set Up and Tuned can push the vegas well up into the 40mph range.
The Go Engine .18 is also a Strong, Dependable Engine with a couple Upgrades done to it. It is much cheaper than the OS but not available in as many places as the OS. I'm running High 40's in my Hydro with the Go .18's on 60% Fuel.

The MACS 3.5 High Nitro Pipe has become one of the most common Upgrade Pipes used on these set ups and works very well when Cut at 8.5" inches measuring from the Stinger(Outlet End) Forward.

I Personally have had better performance from the OCTURA Props running the vegas, the Y535, M435\3 for Stock\Mild Mod Engine set ups, X437\3, X440, X440\3 For Mod Engine Set Ups. I run the X437\3 on my Mod .18 Hydro set up.

My Opinion the Best Thing you can do the the Vegas Sponsons is a Really Good Print Job, and Hit The Water. The Vegas is already a little tail heavy and bow high and prone the catchin air under the front and Blowing Over at High Speeds, adding any lumber to the ride pads raises the bow even higher and increasing the chance of Blow Overs.

TCHedOff 04-12-2010 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: ponch2478

Thanks for all the info everyone. Can someone explain how to do the sponson mods on the miss vegas.
Hey your in New Brighton! :D You should come to some of our club events!

As for your question, I saw pics on a different forum of what Jerry Dunlap suggested (he is a designer for Aquacraft). The sponson "mod" consisted of what looked to be 1/16 ply laminated to the bottom of the sponson surfaces. The laminated stips were narrower than the fiberglass bottom surface (like 3/4 as wide as the original surface). Also instead of curving (like the original sponson bottoms) as your go towards the front, the sponson strips were made of 2 flat surfaces that met at a shallow angle. The idea was to have flat surfaces running on the water (as opposed to curved surfaces) for less drag.... and to have sharp edges.... again for less drag. If you dont under stand what I've described, take a look at the bottom of the sponsons on a JAE .12 or .21 rigger.... you'll get the idea then.

malicent 04-12-2010 01:42 PM

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4361937/tm.htm[/link]

any and everything you need to know bout the MV also has stuff about the sponson mods.

ponch2478 04-12-2010 08:18 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone.

andybenton 04-12-2010 09:55 PM

the people on this site generally are very helpful, there are a few opinionated, but we all are to some degree.

most of us are glad to help in any way we can.

im still new to boats but im seasoned in nitro motors so any help you need just give a hollar, some one will be glad to help

dblthunder 06-24-2010 07:47 AM

hello since i keep hearng this issue come up i will try and explian with as few words as possible. do superchargers work on 2 stroke engines .NO. Now ill address the why. because,...just kidding. 2stokes as we know have no valves and or valve train they opperate in half the rotations as a four stroke and need oil added to their fuel. the opperation of the 2 stroke . as piston drops it brings into crankcase air fuel mixture thishas a scaveging affect cuz exaust exiting eng. help pull air fuel mix as well this effect increases as rpms increase and can be fine tuned by instaling a tuned exaust, wa la. the power band of the 2stroke in very basic turms. now when you have a supercharger installed on a 2stroke [ya didnt pay attn to first statement and your engine is doomed in a bad sort of way] you are creating pre compressed air fuel mix which allows you to to get the most power you can , but when this is going into the 2stroke this charge totaly screws up the air fuel mix and the scavageing affect now you have a/f being forced into eng.case out the exaust/ no more scaveging and your whole sys. will prob. lean out and eng. is destroyed. the only way to get bennifits of said superdestroyer would be to completely change eng timing, eliminating the overlap of open and close completely. idont know if any one has done this and not sure why they would other than to prove a point. but this is why they dont work and probly never will. a four stroke has advantage of valve train that can be modified to fit any need. supergh ie no over lap. well i hope this clears things up a bit. if any one has any questions feel free to ask. this explanation is quite basic.but hope better than BECAUSE.