RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   Central NEW YORK boaters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/9801940-central-new-york-boaters.html)

madmorgan 06-22-2011 02:31 PM

RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

well i guess i will run em in the pond and see what happens if they fine me they fine me right . its all easy money for elmira city / new york state will see what happens huh as far as i can tell your club doesnt want to lose yet another place to "test and run" your boats. i will keep it cool and not bother anyone .

advanced builder 06-22-2011 02:31 PM

Craig is right, the cost of running a RC boat,legally isn't much. This is not a inexpensive hobby. Parts are not cheap. The faster you go the more you $$$ you need. Some of the guys have $1000 in a single hull. or more. I was at a race in Ontario last weekend.I first shook hands with the CD and presented my IMPBA card. Spectators were not permitted inside the pit area. A pit boss was in-charge You didn't see one in Elmira. Any major event has rules to follow. Terry the CD said there was a injury that nearly bankrupted the club. You card is your insurance.
PS there is always room at the top I think I recall seeing you both days.
Neil

Blackout 06-22-2011 03:02 PM

ORIGINAL: madmorgan

well i guess i will run em in the pond and see what happens if they fine me they fine me right . its all easy money for elmira city / new york state will see what happens huh as far as i can tell your club doesnt want to lose yet another place to ''test and run'' your boats. i will keep it cool and not bother anyone .
I don't know the exact agreement between the club and Elmira, but I would ask the city before running on a non-event day. They may or may not let you. If something bad happens while you are driving your boat it could jeopardize the clubs ability to run at Brick Pond. When lawyers get involved things can get bad....

madmorgan 06-22-2011 03:08 PM

im not trying to raise a stink but thats like the local biker clubs telling non bikers they cannot ride on the city streets because they arent in a "club" im calling ecpd see what they say i will post if i hear a yay or nay. trust me i dont want to ruin any of the 6 members of your club 6 weekends out of a year a chance to get together and run your boats on brick pond.

Blackout 06-22-2011 03:18 PM

im not trying to raise a stink but thats like the local biker clubs telling non bikers they cannot ride on the city streets because they arent in a ''club'' im calling ecpd see what they say i will post if i hear a yay or nay. trust me i dont want to ruin any of the 6 members of your club 6 weekends out of a year a chance to get together and run your boats on brick pond.
Six members??

Call me when you are going to run your RC boats on Brick Pond. I'll come down and ride my Yamaha Super Jet too... ;)

madmorgan 06-22-2011 03:23 PM

why not they run snowmobiles on it  ehh

Blackout 06-22-2011 03:51 PM

why not they run snowmobiles on it ehh
Is it through a club with insurance? And they do it as a organized event, not when anyone feels like it....?

Serpents Den 06-22-2011 07:58 PM

im not trying to raise a stink but thats like the local biker clubs telling non bikers they cannot ride on the city streets because they arent in a "club" im calling ecpd see what they say i will post if i hear a yay or nay. trust me i dont want to ruin any of the 6 members of your club 6 weekends out of a year a chance to get together and run your boats on brick pond.

too bad that was as poor analogy here and the example isn't even close to being the same thing....you STILLneed a permit or license <u>AND</u> insurance to ride on the city streets... you dontneed to be inthe Stoney Pond Model Boatclub to run on thepond and such during their 'off times', just the IMPBA membership... joining the IMPBA is a small price to pay so that the pond or anywhere else'allowed', you will beable to go play with your boats...It's no different from those of us that fly our rc planes and heli's and being a member of the AMA...mostcities around the country have ordinances forstuff like this....out in public, you have to cover your backside in case of an accident....an accident can happen to you as much as anyone else, whether its an innocent bystander, a friend that may be with you, or yourself getting hurt...it only takes one accident withan ignorantand uncaringjerk involved to spoil it for everyone else and have that spot or any other in the localvicinity, closed down for good...

advanced builder 06-23-2011 12:14 PM

Now that we get our starters with wires. Look what I seen up in Ontario.
http://www.afineredgemfg.com/

Blackout 06-23-2011 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

Now that we get our starters with wires. Look what I seen up in Ontario.
http://www.afineredgemfg.com/
That would work fine with the Speedmaster setup, wouldn't it?

The wire is always getting in the way. It's tempting to convert to wireless.... :)

engineman351 06-23-2011 01:12 PM

Craig & Neil, The Starter adapter is pretty reasonable, but the Makita Battery and charger will rock your wallet. I'd love to convert my Dynatron, but for now I'll 'think first' about the wires and use the cash for more props or fuel. BTW...I have begun the re-assembly of my JAE12 rigger. This was a used tub and new sponsons that I got off Intl Waters. The paint was pretty bad on the tub so I sanded it down and gave it a coat of Lustrekoat. It was supposed to be Missle Red, but the paint color was off (but free from the shop), it came out an odd reddish orange. It's not a head turner but it will look ok out on the water. The shaft & motor are in. I'm working on the radio electronics and linkages next. Roger C.

advanced builder 06-23-2011 02:25 PM

I all ready have tape on my starter, from a prop. As soon as I upgrade ,Something else will show up Newer. I kinda like no wires. I will use what I got this year. That battery is a good hit in the pocket. Like Roger says.

advanced builder 06-27-2011 05:35 AM

Anyone running this week? My cat needs testing. And my Zenhoa is on the table in parts. I'm adding my 2 mm Stoker crank .the bottom end is machined out as the 2 mm crank is larger than normal. I can run any day, except Tuesday. After work is fine for me. See you all soon.

Blackout 06-27-2011 07:05 AM

Anyone running this week? My cat needs testing. And my Zenhoa is on the table in parts. I'm adding my 2 mm Stoker crank .the bottom end is machined out as the 2 mm crank is larger than normal. I can run any day, except Tuesday. After work is fine for me. See you all soon.
Neil, I'm here all week and the July 4th weekend too. If you want to stop after 5:00 during the week that's good, or we can plan a day this coming weekend. Let me know.

I'm trying to get the .21 tunnel ready and I need to fix the boom tubes again on the rigger.

advanced builder 06-27-2011 07:17 AM

my .21 rigger need booms as well.I have a few spares.

engineman351 06-27-2011 11:45 AM

Here is something I didn't know and had not thought about. Recently when using my Futaba 3PKS transmitter with the Fasst 2.4ghz module and 603FS receiver, I had noticed that many of my servos were buzzing a bit but otherwise seemed to work fine. However, I was setting up a new model using HiTec HS-81 and HS225BB servos and they started buzzing and within a minute, stopped altogether. I put the servos on a tester and confirmed they were literally burned out. After mumbling a few choice words, I began checking all of my transmitter settings. Low and behold I then see that my modulation (P-mod) was set for "HRS" (high response). After going to the Futaba site and searching the FAQ I learned that HRS is designed ONLY for use with digital servos...and using it with analog servos will eventually burn them out. (Eventually is about a minute on HiTec analog servos!!). Over two years ago when I got the radio, I noticed that I was getting a lot of glitching with it set in the HRS mode so I changed it to PPM, as most of my servos are either analog 1/4 scale for steering or std analog for throttle. At some point I apparently lost the PPM, P-mod setting. Bottom line is that if you own an Futaba X-mtr with HRS capabilty, check the menu screen every time you use it to make sure it is not in HRS mode if you are using any analog servos. If you have never used a Futaba 3PKS you cannot appreciate the complexity of the set-up menu. Setting the P-mod is NOT a direct setting. After you make a P-mod change in the access menu, if you go directly back to your model screen, HRS will remain loaded. You have to make the change, shut off the radio, then turn it back on for the new P-mod value load. This was about a $40 lesson! Roger C.

Blackout 06-27-2011 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: engineman351

Here is something I didn't know and had not thought about. Recently when using my Futaba 3PKS transmitter with the Fasst 2.4ghz module and 603FS receiver, I had noticed that many of my servos were buzzing a bit but otherwise seemed to work fine. However, I was setting up a new model using HiTec HS-81 and HS225BB servos and they started buzzing and within a minute, stopped altogether. I put the servos on a tester and confirmed they were literally burned out. After mumbling a few choice words, I began checking all of my transmitter settings. Low and behold I then see that my modulation (P-mod) was set for ''HRS'' (high response). After going to the Futaba site and searching the FAQ I learned that HRS is designed ONLY for use with digital servos...and using it with analog servos will eventually burn them out. (Eventually is about a minute on HiTec analog servos!!). Over two years ago when I got the radio, I noticed that I was getting a lot of glitching with it set in the HRS mode so I changed it to PPM, as most of my servos are either analog 1/4 scale for steering or std analog for throttle. At some point I apparently lost the PPM, P-mod setting. Bottom line is that if you own an Futaba X-mtr with HRS capabilty, check the menu screen every time you use it to make sure it is not in HRS mode if you are using any analog servos. If you have never used a Futaba 3PKS you cannot appreciate the complexity of the set-up menu. Setting the P-mod is NOT a direct setting. After you make a P-mod change in the access menu, if you go directly back to your model screen, HRS will remain loaded. You have to make the change, shut off the radio, then turn it back on for the new P-mod value load. This was about a $40 lesson! Roger C.
Yup, I figured that out by reading the manual. :) It is a confusing radio, but the menu system is way better than my 3PJ was.

A feature that I did miss on my 3PK was that you can turn on the screen and make adjustment without sending a signal. This is a neat feature. But, I was a little confused when I accidently turned on this feature and thought the radio was stuck on because the screen would not shut down with the power switch. :)

advanced builder 06-27-2011 01:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Blackout

Here is something I didn't know and had not thought about. Recently when using my Futaba 3PKS transmitter with the Fasst 2.4ghz module and 603FS receiver, I had noticed that many of my servos were buzzing a bit but otherwise seemed to work fine. However, I was setting up a new model using HiTec HS-81 and HS225BB servos and they started buzzing and within a minute, stopped altogether. I put the servos on a tester and confirmed they were literally burned out. After mumbling a few choice words, I began checking all of my transmitter settings. Low and behold I then see that my modulation (P-mod) was set for ''HRS'' (high response). After going to the Futaba site and searching the FAQ I learned that HRS is designed ONLY for use with digital servos...and using it with analog servos will eventually burn them out. (Eventually is about a minute on HiTec analog servos!!). Over two years ago when I got the radio, I noticed that I was getting a lot of glitching with it set in the HRS mode so I changed it to PPM, as most of my servos are either analog 1/4 scale for steering or std analog for throttle. At some point I apparently lost the PPM, P-mod setting. Bottom line is that if you own an Futaba X-mtr with HRS capabilty, check the menu screen every time you use it to make sure it is not in HRS mode if you are using any analog servos. If you have never used a Futaba 3PKS you cannot appreciate the complexity of the set-up menu. Setting the P-mod is NOT a direct setting. After you make a P-mod change in the access menu, if you go directly back to your model screen, HRS will remain loaded. You have to make the change, shut off the radio, then turn it back on for the new P-mod value load. This was about a $40 lesson! Roger C.
Yup, I figured that out by reading the manual. :) It is a confusing radio, but the menu system is way better than my 3PJ was.

A feature that I did miss on my 3PK was that you can turn on the screen and make adjustment without sending a signal. This is a neat feature. But, I was a little confused when I accidently turned on this feature and thought the radio was stuck on because the screen would not shut down with the power switch. :)

I didn't read that far into the manual. Thanks Roger. I use analog and digital now what? My system is setup with 3 boats as well. My servos need to match.
So I better CK
My hearing is so bad I did hear a buzz in my cross over to Hytec servos

Blackout 06-27-2011 05:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Blackout

I didn't read that far into the manual. Thanks Roger. I use analog and digital now what? My system is setup with 3 boats as well. My servos need to match.
So I better CK
My hearing is so bad I did hear a buzz in my cross over to Hytec servos
When you are running both digital and analog servos at the same time you use PPM mode. With that being said, I think you only have to worry about it with the 3PK. I think the cheaper Futaba 2.4 radios are done a little differently. Read the manual. ;)

engineman351 06-28-2011 06:38 AM

Craig, I agree that the 3PKS transmitter is HRS capable. My 3PJ's are not HRS capable and I am pretty sure the 3PM with 2.4 are not HRS capable either. Anyway..I am now checking the 3PK everytime I turn it on to make sure it is in PPM. BTW...have you done any more testing of the K&B .82 mono?? Roger

Blackout 06-28-2011 07:42 AM

Craig, I agree that the 3PKS transmitter is HRS capable. My 3PJ's are not HRS capable and I am pretty sure the 3PM with 2.4 are not HRS capable either. Anyway..I am now checking the 3PK everytime I turn it on to make sure it is in PPM. BTW...have you done any more testing of the K&B .82 mono?? Roger
I have not had a chance to take a look at the carb on the K&B .82. The barrel jammed up on me when I was trying to run it a couple weeks ago. I can't inspect the carb without removing the engine. I have been too busy trying to get the .21 tunnel going. I have way too many chores on my farm too. My front lawn has not been mowed for quite a while. [X(] But, I have been mowing the back area after the pond to make the property look nicer when we are out using the pond. I don't much care how the front of my house looks as I rarely am looking at it. :D

advanced builder 07-01-2011 05:12 AM

Anyone ready to run? I have 2 hulls ready and my gas engine, ready to drop back in the hull. My parts came in . I striped 2 bolts out on my mount that holds the easy starter. I may give Bob a ring to see if he's around this weekend. The summer is short so we need a good run. Did you get a new rod in Craig? I just looked I have a K&B conrod. My .67 rigger is ready to test.

Blackout 07-01-2011 05:45 AM

Anyone ready to run? I have 2 hulls ready and my gas engine, ready to drop back in the hull. My parts came in . I striped 2 bolts out on my mount that holds the easy starter. I may give Bob a ring to see if he's around this weekend. The summer is short so we need a good run. Did you get a new rod in Craig? I just looked I have a K&B conrod. My .67 rigger is ready to test.
No new rod for the O.S.. I will need a new piston and sleeve too, so I'm holding off. The K&B is still in one piece, I just need to figure out why it was reving to the moon at idle, maybe an air leak...

I think most everyone is away this holiday weekend. I know Bob, Joe, Rick, and Dick can't make it. Not sure about Roger or Tom.

Is the weather better for Sunday or Saturday? I'll have to check.

The .21 tunnel should be ready to go.

advanced builder 07-01-2011 06:10 AM

Do we need to run a chain around the pond? I can load my motor if needed. Sorry to hear about the piston and sleeve. My weekend is still open. But that can change,easy. I also decided to change to lipos on Miss Jada. the hull is made for that more than nitro. I also can use her for retrieval. Kinda small to drag a thunderboat around. It may hall in a .12 rigger at best. I can't say their isn't work to do with lipos. I better order more tape. I have the charger for lipos I did notice they use 5.5 mm connectors. huge. Deans plugs can handle the load. my LHS said. I need to talk to Pete. All I need is a hr to test the cat ,and get the .67 tested. The .12 NR was spitting fuel out the head button until she got warm. I did see a few indents on the liner top. I did take a X-fine sandpaper to the top.

Blackout 07-01-2011 06:21 AM

No, the weeds are under control still. Maybe algae in spots, but not too bad. I need to spray again, but we can break the couple algae blooms up with the an ore.