Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Junk plane to test gas engines with

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Junk plane to test gas engines with

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:08 AM
sprgfvr02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Junk plane to test gas engines with

I haven't seen this topic in the forums, so I thought I'd ask. After seeing my TF P-47's engine quit on takeoff and belly into the ground (no damage) it was suggested by a few folks I trust at my field that I find a junk plane that I don't really care about and is easy to fix to mount my 15cc gas engine on. The suggestion was to just take it up and break it in, and if it fails, the high big (70 inch-ish) winged plane is a better glider than a warbird, and should be able to make it back to the runway more times than not. I'm looking for suggestions on what might be a good plane to use. I know I can always wait for the swap meets, but I thought I'd look around until that occurs.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:16 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Junk plane to test gas engines with

Any Stik type model would be a good choice for a test bed model.

Karol
Old 08-02-2011, 07:17 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta agree with the stick recommendation. I'm repairing one right now. Mine should work up to 40cc. Some kind of ultrastick I got cheap with some damage.
Edwin
Old 08-02-2011, 11:30 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with the "Stick" type models, but another option would be something like the Sig Kadet. I have one and use it as a mule for testing my vintage radio & motors on before putting them in a finished model. Mine needs alot of nose weight w small motors like a .40, but i have flown it w a Saito 180 too. Todays small gassers would probably work out OK with a little firewall strengthening. Just throwing it out there since it has a huge ( 80" ) WS. I made mine a tail dragger & that helped with prop clearance on larger motors...Gene
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78793.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1643475  
Old 08-02-2011, 11:37 AM
sprgfvr02

I have a Kadet Senior and have thought about using it, but not sure the wings are strong enough for the gas engine. I have Tiger60 and might try that. I want something that have good wing loading like the Tiger, or Venture 60.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:05 PM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are just looking to use the Kadet to break in the motor, unless you start doing loops or high G manuvers, i think the Kadet wing is strong enough for a .60 sized motor. If you would see how i fly my Kadet you would understand It gets used regularly as a plane used to introduce new kids to R/C & has used up 8 of its 9 lives allready. Never had the wings come off in flight ....YET...GENE

PS, i'd reinforce the firewall area though
Old 08-03-2011, 11:42 PM
CustomPC

I'm using the Great Planes Escapade .61 for this exact purpose.

I wouldn't call it a junk plane. It's actually a fine model that flies very well, but it's relatively cheap and does not need expensive servos etc.

I like it because it has the open cowl cheeks option and there is a magnetic hatch above the fuel tank which makes access to the ignition modules easy.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:28 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like Gene has done, I am now refurbishing an old Kadet Senior airframe I bought several years ago. I am going to use it to test radio systems before I install them into a 'good' airplane. This is a result of crashing my new Four Star 60 on all new radio equipment and still not being able to find the exact cause. With the test mule Kadet I will fly a radio system several times until I am satisfied it will not create a problem in the air.

I am thinking the Kadet Senior is a good plane for this service, because it is a light wing loading floater, and perhps if there is total radio failure like happened in my 4*60, the Kadet will glide down slowly instead of nosing down and picking up speed.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:37 AM
sprgfvr02

Tom,

I am looking for the 'floater' type of plane for testing the gas engine(s) I am, and will be using. I'm just not sure the Kadet is strong enough (tough enough) to handle all the vibration that goes with the engine. I had to rebuild the wings due to glue failure at the center rib/spar joints, so I know how the wing is now built. I'm kinda saving the Kadet for a trainer for another member of the family.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A super flyin king might do the job for a gasser.
Edwin
Old 08-18-2011, 08:37 AM
opjose

Ibid on the Stik idea.

Put a mount on it that uses clamped retainers for the engine, and you'll be able to swap out engines in no time thanks to no cowl or other obstructions.

Also if the engine dies with the plane in flight, deadsticks are a non-issue with a stick even when the engine cuts out at the worst time.

Repairs are trivial because of the squarish fuselage shape...

Old 08-23-2011, 01:44 AM
djay

Definitley the Stick.
Just brought the Giant Big Stick as a test bed for my 1.20 size engines upwards.
Have had an RCV 1.30 and YS 1.40 in there to test, and now have an ancient OS 1.20 fs in it.
It has a ton of lead in the nose, but boy does she fly well.
So much fun with it, will do every manoeuvere in the book, and as with the YS, every flight ended in dead stick, she just floats forever at walking pace untill touch down.

The standard big stick will be perect for you.

Darryl