Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

H9 Sundowner 50

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

H9 Sundowner 50

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:00 PM
golf4two

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default H9 Sundowner 50

Got lucky at the club meeting last night and won a H9 SunDowner 50. Not so lucky in that I'm a Sunday aerobatics kind of flyer and this plane was designed with nothing but speed (?and looks?) in mind. I much prefer to build my own planes (scratch or balsa kit) but the look of this plane is really, really cool which makes me want to finish it out and try/fly it. No spare engines at the moment but I do have an older OS 46SF and an OS 55AX that I could relocate to try it out at least. After reading the looong thread on this ship in another forum, I'm still kinda confused as to it's aerobatic characteristics/capability/suitability. If I interpreted the remarks in the thread properly, the smaller engine would make it better suited to my style of flying, the question is to what degree would it turn into a more docile and aerobatic airframe? (Not looking for a 3D airplane nor a speed demon.) I guess my question is should I build it out with one of those two engines or would I make better of it by trying to sell or trade it for something else? Like I said, the really cool look kinda got to me but I'd hate to waste my limited resources on something that looked cool but became a hangar queen because I hated the way it flew.

Anyone have any first/second hand experience with this model as a "Sunday flyer"?
With the 46 would standard servos be acceptable or would I still need hi-torque digital servos?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
G42

Old 01-19-2012, 04:04 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: H9 Sundowner 50

I did [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1009]This Review[/link] of the Sundowner 50. Put your 46 on it and it will be a pretty nice little aerobat.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:10 AM
rolliedog12
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been flying the Sundowner with an OS46ax. With that engine its not overpowered but will fly quick enough for me. I have enjoyed flying the Sundowner as I get tired of flying the same type of aircraft all the time. It rolls and loops great, all looks good doing it. It lands a little quick but easy to fly. Just my 2 cents!!
Old 01-20-2012, 08:54 AM
golf4two

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Minn and Rollie.....think I'll give her a try. Like Rollie said, at least it'll be something different.

Regards,
G42