Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Cherokee

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Great Planes Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Brad Mc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Cherokee

I flew airplanes for about 5 years, quit flying in about 2005 and looking to get back into it. I sold all of my planes but am thinking about getting the Great Planes Cherokee ARF. I think this is probably a good plane to get started again. Anyone know anything good/bad about this plane?

I do have an OS 46FX that's brand new (however purchased 7-8 years ago) that I'm planning on putting in it. I assume this will be enough power for the Cherokee?

Thanks for any insight!

Old 09-05-2012, 11:49 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes Cherokee

I have one with a OS 46 AX and that is plenty of power. I also have one with an OS 55 AX and that is over powered. They are nice flying planes and strongly built. I really like shooting landings with the flaps down. Try out your flaps up high as they may need a little down elevator mixed in.

Bruce
Old 09-07-2012, 02:45 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

I enjoyed mine, but I wouldn't recommend this as your "return" to flying, as it's a bit heavy with the 2 extra servos for flaps. You might get this one as your second plane, but for your first, go for a bit lighter wing loading. There is a lot to choose from that are good flyers.

Welcome back.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:50 AM
Brad Mc

RCVFR, any specific planes that you would suggest as a good "return to flying" planes?

Thanks for any help!

Old 09-10-2012, 01:21 PM
bikerbc

If you want an ARF The Pulse line are very nice easy flying planes....I have one and it is easy to fly and very easy to land..There are many nice planes out there....The pulse line might be a bit pricy but they are lookers and easy to assemble. Very relaxing to fly...Just one of many..Welcome back...
Old 09-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Brad Mc

I FOUND THE HANGAR 9 PULSE XT 40, I ASSUME THIS IS THE PLANE YOU'RE REFERRING TO.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:02 PM
cmgtech1

Really can't go wrong with a Great Planes Big Stik. I prefer the .60 size, but the .40 sized ARF would be a great match for your OS .46. It's a light plane and has a big wing. Fully aerobatic, but a real kitty cat to land. The Pulse is a great looking airplane and flies well, but I much prefer the flight characteristics of the Big Stik. So many good planes out there.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:38 PM
scott36
My Feedback: (54)

I have thought here if your just getting back into the rc game and sold every thing you will need to buy most items to get back flying....
LETS THINK GREEN
take a look at the electric setups most of the planes talked about will do eletric or nitro.. just a thought here.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another one is the tiger 11, I'm getting ready to build the Tiger 60. They are in the trainer class, easy flyers, some wind forgivness and float to landing. Are also aerobatic and allow you to move up without buying another plane to do it WWW.towerhobby.com They are a sharp looking plane and no one has anything bad to say about them, trike gear=good ground handeling Leroy
Old 11-17-2012, 10:09 PM
bikerbc

You cant go wrong with a Tiger Leroy..Good Choice...There are a lot of mods you can do as well...I take out about 1/2 the didedral and I like making mine tail draggers and building on a cowl . The Tigers come out tail heavy so watch you dont add much weight to the tail...Adding about 3/4" to 1" to the elevators and rudder is a good mod...It dosen't add much weight...They fly great stock too...It sort of depends on your flying style and what you are looking for...I take my Tiger 60 out almost every time I go to the field...
Old 11-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Biker, I have heard so much good about the Tiger that is why I bought it. On all accounts it's a real winner. I too am making a tail dragger along with some bashing ( as they call it ). I figured the dihedrel at 2 degrees per wing half or a total of 2" tip to tip. I don't want it to get too touchie as I have heard it will if you flatten it out too much. This one will have a DLE20 in it, not for speed but to be able to fly out of a hover as well as deal with the balance issues.

I like what you did to yours and am building much the same way for same reasons. Come over to Goldberg Tiger club and see it come together, starting shortly after Turkey day here[

Oh, thats at the Kit Builders site.