Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Save Of The Day

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Save Of The Day

Old 02-23-2013, 09:41 AM
TPL33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Save Of The Day

I was flying my Hobbico Mark III trainer yesterday with a aggrevating 45 degree semi crosswind at 10 mph. Landings were giving me fits with the wind kicking up each time I was on final, landing right to leftt on an east/west runwayl. The approach and actual touchdowns went good but the wind was getting under my right wing and tipping the plane up (right wing up) once on the runwayeven with me applying right aileron on roll out. On my last landing, the wing kicked up once again and the plane was on only the left main wheel and rolling right towards me, gaining speed,while I was standing in the flying station cage. To no avail, I was trying to correct this with right aileron and right rudder. As the plane rolled right in front of me inthe cage, I stuck the transmitter antenna to the ground right in front of the right wing, spinning the airplane around to a complete stop! Had I not done that, the plane would have hit the next flying station cage to my left. I couldn't believe I thought that quickly to do that. It was crazy! That was the last flight of the day, still need to check my TX antenna!
Old 02-23-2013, 02:43 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Save Of The Day

That was some really quick thinking on your part. Good thing you never made the switch to 2.4
Old 02-23-2013, 03:34 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That was a quick save!

When the wind is blowing like that, make a mental note on the approach to just turn the plane into the wind as soon or even a bit before you touch down and shut down. (Aligned with the wind, it should be stable. Any other position could cause even a parked light trainer to flip over.) You can walk out to the runway to get the plane. Great to see someone not afraid of flying in the wind! We flew here the other day and the winds for so bad it took four approaches on the last flight where the gusts weren't upsetting the plane coming over the fence! Didn't think I would ever get it safely on the ground.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:00 PM
TPL33

ORIGINAL: karolh

That was some really quick thinking on your part. Good thing you never made the switch to 2.4
I never thought about that! Guess if it was 2.4 I would have come up a little short! LOL
Old 02-23-2013, 09:03 PM
TPL33

Good tips. The wind speed wasn't that bad, up to 10 mph. I think it was at just the right angle to the runway to be a pain!