Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Rc Nobler aileron servo size?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Rc Nobler aileron servo size?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 11:11 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rc Nobler aileron servo size?

I recently had a lean run after replacing a glow plug and had to make the best of a final approach. I ended up landing hard on the wheels with only bent wire on my retracts that I could see. I fixed the wires and checked everything out and it all looked good and went for another flight. during the flight I kept having to make adustments to the aileron trim. I landed shortly after as I was having to hold a lot of aileron stick to keep it from rolling. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that both aileron servos had stripped gears.

I have one servo per aileron mounted in the wing bays. The servos that were in the plane were standard airtonics analog servos with 43 oz in. torque. The servos have been fine for everything I have needed them for except for the hard landing. My question is do I need a higher torque servo or will the same rated torque in a metal geared servo work to prevent stripping if I were to have another hard landing.

I was looking at the hd1250mg servos that have 41 oz in. torque and are all metal gear. They are only $7.50 each and are a little smaller than what I have now.
Would these fit the bill or should I be looking for something a bit stronger in torque?

Thanks for any help in choosing a suitable cost effective servo.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:44 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Last edited by sensei; 06-03-2014 at 02:47 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:46 AM
sensei

The truth is if you hit the ground at an angle that wrenches the control surfaces hard enough it doesn't matter if you are using servos with metal gears, along with high torque or not, you may still strip some gears. You only need servos with enough torque for flight loads on the control surfaces, so forget about outfitting for crash survivability, it is a waste of time.

Bob
Old 06-03-2014, 04:08 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bob is right, but I would add that buying cheap servos is a waste of money.

I suggest that you stick with a name brand, standard servo, from Hitec, JR, Airtronics, or Futaba.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:47 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. And I will agree with you Tom, I don't want cheap servos. I find though that there is a difference between cheap and less expensive. I think there are plenty of non-name brand items out there that are less expensive and better quality than some of the items the name brands sell. I don't need to be paying for anybody's advertising. The servos I am looking at have good reviews with a good track record and are being sold by a reputable dealer that stands behind the products they sell. They have a much higher torque servo but didn't think I needed any more torque than what I currently have.

I didn't think a higher torque servo would make any differnce in the strippability of the servos but wasn't sure about the metal gear vs the plastic gears. There are so many metal gear servos on the market today, I started thinking that maybe the trend was heading that way.

I think I will try these servos out and if they work good might also put them in my gp mustang 40 kit.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:57 AM
sensei

I agree with Tom, I only use the best and most powerful servos that money can buy in all my models simply because of the size of my stuff. So I know that you can indeed strip out the very best servos, I have done it...LOL

Bob