Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

STICK Brotherhood!!

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

STICK Brotherhood!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 06:47 AM
jamesroutledge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately the engine was a classic Webra Speed 61 with SuperTigre tuned pipe. (My own fault for not using a disposable Chinese junker)
Neither made it through the crash, although the engine could run with a new carb.

The receiver and battery also died, but all servos survived.

The other plane which had an Irvine 61 fared somewhat better. All the gear survived.

Last edited by jamesroutledge; 10-11-2017 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Added details for other plane
Old 10-11-2017, 08:56 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Bummer! At least the engine can be restored to running order with a cab and the servos survived. I have been lucky, the one time I really darted one full bore into the the ground the old OS Max survived and all I had to do was get the dirt out of it. It went straight down into tail weeds do to radio interference, the weeds slowed it down just enough. It was an old plywood Cub and believe it or not I was actually able to rebuild it. Yep! I'm cheap!

Mike
Old 10-12-2017, 09:45 PM
jamesroutledge

To me it's not about being cheap. I feel for each one of my engines and planes, rebuilding them is something I'm driven to do.
It's like they are an old friend, and I'm saving their life by rebuilding them.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:24 AM
knuckleball

Originally Posted by jamesroutledge
The demise of one of my Sticks at a club pylon race.
Mine is the red one (seen in my previous posts wearing an RCV 90) which sheds it's wing and exits left.
Was 15 years old with over a thousand flights on her. A fitting death for an old warrior!
We were clocked with a radar gun at 212kph ( 132mph) in the previous race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TA6-TgZe3U
Looked like a lot of fun until the two hit... Nice video!
Old 10-15-2017, 06:26 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To me it's not about being cheap. I feel for each one of my engines and planes, rebuilding them is something I'm driven to do.
It's like they are an old friend, and I'm saving their life by rebuilding them.
That is a nice video.

I feel the same way, but have never rebuilt a crashed plane, mistakenly thinking it was too far gone. I miss the Sig Kadet 40 that started me on this journey. I found out later that replacement wing kits could be obtained, which was the only thing that got mangled by the big oak tree (radio interference). I flew the heck out of that plane and still have the set of floats that went on it.
If I may, I`d like to tell a little story about that Kadet that reinforces this sentiment. It is my proudest flying moment.
The only time that plane flew off of water was on the Debsconeag(sp.?) Deadwater section of the Penobscot River in northern Maine. On an annual camping trip, I decided to give all the rowdies a model aviation demo. I`m sure that's the first time a lot of these guys had ever seen a sizeable glow powered model fly.
Despite being called a deadwater. this section of the river was actually a bit swifter than one might envision.
So the guys are all hootin` and hollerin, and I`m trying with no success to get the plane off the water. Back and forth I go trying to get enough speed to lift off. I was just about to give up, when on the last pass the plane jumped a small wake it made previously and finally it was precariously airborne! It took all I had to get that plane to slowly climb out while circling to avoid the big trees that lined the river. I managed to get some altitude and fly around a bit, much to the enjoyment of all the campers in attendance.
During the flight I noticed how heavy the plane felt, and when trying to make a smooth landing, at the last two feet or so, it just smacked down, bowing out the floats. I wasn`t able to taxi it into shore, as it stalled soon after landing and one of the guys had to paddle me out in a canoe to retrieve it before it floated down the river.
While basking in the accolades for a good show, I unscrewed the wing and noticed that quite a bit of water had found it`s way into the floor of the plane. There must have been a lot more splashing around out there than I thought.
Thinking back, I`m always amazed at how a big heavy trainer on floats with a wheezy 40 engine took off and flew off a river with a lot of big trees around controlled by a barely intermediate level pilot and lived to tell the tale, at least for a few years after that.
So yes, I regret finally throwing away that fuselage which I had kept for years after the crash. A lot of time went into building that plane, along with the Sig 4 Star and the Cub that ended up on the trash heap.
Someday, all my future crashed kits may be found stowed in the rafters in my garage if I don`t get around to fixing them. buts that`s ok, isn`t it?
Old 10-20-2017, 06:41 PM
Stickslammer

Sorry, didn`t mean to hijack this thread since I don`t even own a Stik.
As you were.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:14 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by knuckleball
Building a STICK now...bought the kit off ebay. I am converting it to electric. Motor will be an O.S. Brushless Motor 5010-810 with APC 14x6E.

Attachment 2240174

yep my current stick is an older asian import stick, i bought off ebay long ago; that attaches via rubber bands
Old 11-09-2017, 10:17 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The demise of one of my Sticks at a club pylon race.
Mine is the red one (seen in my previous posts wearing an RCV 90) which sheds it's wing and exits left.
Was 15 years old with over a thousand flights on her. A fitting death for an old warrior!
We were clocked with a radar gun at 212kph ( 132mph) in the previous race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TA6-TgZe3U
How many South African cussword expressions were used, when it happened.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:01 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by Stickslammer
As you were.
What!!!
You can still redeem yourself. Check these out as possible means of redemption:
https://www.vmarshop.com/en/v-stick-40
Easy Stik 48in .25 Class Size Sports/Trainer ARF | Value Hobby
Easy Stik 58in .40 Size Sports/Trainer ARF | Value Hobby
Easy Stik 68.5in .60 Class Size Sports/Trainer ARF | Value Hobby
Ultra Stick 30cc ARF (HAN2365): Hangar-9

There!! Now you have no excuse.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:11 PM
FlyerInOKC

As you were.
Or better yet escape the dark side and go to https://outerzone.co.uk/ download one of these plans and build your own!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sticks.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	2244238  
Old 11-10-2017, 03:55 AM
knuckleball

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
yep my current stick is an older asian import stick, i bought off ebay long ago; that attaches via rubber bands
Dead and buried forum...

Last edited by knuckleball; 01-28-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:12 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Or better yet escape the dark side and go to https://outerzone.co.uk/ download one of these plans and build your own!
Even more ways to redeem yourself, Stickslammer.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:48 AM
FlyerInOKC

I was always partial to my Midwest Sweet Stik with the first generation Wankel on it. Great plane, lousy engine.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:28 PM
Stickslammer

I just got my Kobra Kit in the mail today, but after that my next build will be a Stik. Thanks for all the info, Guys.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:36 AM
hsukaria

Talking

I just got my Kobra Kit in the mail today, but after that my next build will be a Stik. Thanks for all the info, Guys.
Coincidentally, I bought a Kobra kit last year and is in line for building after a couple of other builds.

Do you plan on building it stock or will you be doing some kit-bashing? I plan on modifying mine. I will build it without the landing gear to avoid having to put big wheels on it to fly off the grass field. I might go further and do more mods, but the landing gear removal is a definite change I will make. I plan on using either an OS 25FX or an OS 32SX. Should go fast without the landing gear weight and drag.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:50 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Are you going to put a skid on the bottom?
Old 11-16-2017, 07:42 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Lifer
Are you going to put a skid on the bottom?
Didn't think about it until you asked. Maybe I will put something similar to the Sig Wonder skid.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:51 PM
Stickslammer

I don`t think I`ll do any kit bashing on this one. Even though It`s been 22 years since building my Kadet, my R/C career has been pretty sporadic. There`s only 5 builds under my belt, a Tiger 60 being my last just recently. Whenever I get this Kobra done and are used to flying it "dirty" for a while, maybe I can look into some retracts for it.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:23 PM
hsukaria

I don`t think I`ll do any kit bashing on this one. Even though It`s been 22 years since building my Kadet, my R/C career has been pretty sporadic. There`s only 5 builds under my belt, a Tiger 60 being my last just recently. Whenever I get this Kobra done and are used to flying it "dirty" for a while, maybe I can look into some retracts for it.
I'm considering building the wings with foam cores rather than balsa frame.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:27 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine.
Old Model tech.
1.20 Surpass II with the tank on the CG.
2 inches chopped of the nose, balances neutrally and looks 10 times better.
3 degrees of right trust built into the firewall. You're going to need it so why not just build it in.
Built the wing flat.
Double sized ailerons.
The surpass with a MS16x6 Classic (the worlds most inefficient prop) sounds like a Harley with the baffles removed.
One giant farting, rather pretty stick.
Happy days.

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 16.15.55.png
Views:	218
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	2245879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 16.16.46.png
Views:	215
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	2245880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 16.16.54.png
Views:	210
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	2245881  

Last edited by David Bathe; 11-21-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:57 AM
76htodchris

Hello Stik

out of the hobby for a while now - kids took center stage. I was in the middle of a Hog Bipe build when my first was announced. that was 18 years ago.

Stik is my favorite, and I'm trying to find time to get one built. I have some plans from ebay for an original sweet stik, I even stepped off ebay, sent a cashiers check to a seller for a full kit, and never got the kit. lesson learned. this was before paypal, or the ease and safety of paypal, I should say.

glad to see all the versions, and being an electric dummy, I'll be interested in that wave too.

cheers,
Chris
Old 01-23-2018, 09:24 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Welcome back Chris. I did the same thing as I ended up doing the single dad thing starting in 1992. I got back into the hobby in 2008.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:59 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Just did the impossible, scored a NIB 120 Ultra Stik Lite. It will replace my old one which has countless flights, recovered and several repairs. I have a VVRC 20 on it that continues to run very well. Easy change over
and just a one on one remove and replace. Set for the summer!
Old 01-28-2018, 07:34 AM
76htodchris

Stiks,

in my quest for a sweet stik kit, I am already thinking how I am going to cover it. I somehow fell down the rabbit hole on Jasta 11 - all these years, never thought of the red baron's squadron, and in chasing all that on the web, was blown away with how colorful that squad was - if you haven't looked that up, its a nice read.

red baron's brother, lothar, flew in this group, and had a cool scheme - pic is attached. this green/olive, streaked camo is hard to find -the only type of covering I found was a german heat film from this company. I don't really care where I get the covering, but I do want this streaked camo.

oracover.de

Ultracote Covering-for RC Airplane Germany Oracover 60cm 100cm May Green-043/253324681002?hash item3afb53df2a:g:3DoAAOSwVF1aPKt1

I'm not allowed to post links yet, so you will have to www in front of that.

here is a pic of lothars plane:
Click image for larger version

Name:	profile_fokker_dr1_01.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	2252445

Last edited by 76htodchris; 01-28-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:39 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by 76htodchris
Stiks,

in my quest for a sweet stik kit, I am already thinking how I am going to cover it. I somehow fell down the rabbit hole on Jasta 11 - all these years, never thought of the red baron's squadron, and in chasing all that on the web, was blown away with how colorful that squad was - if you haven't looked that up, its a nice read.

red baron's brother, lothar, flew in this group, and had a cool scheme - pic is attached. this green/olive, streaked camo is hard to find -the only type of covering I found was a german heat film from this company. I don't really care where I get the covering, but I do want this streaked camo.

oracover.de

Ultracote Covering-for RC Airplane Germany Oracover 60cm 100cm May Green-043/253324681002?hash item3afb53df2a:g:3DoAAOSwVF1aPKt1

I'm not allowed to post links yet, so you will have to www in front of that.

here is a pic of lothars plane:
Attachment 2252445
Just in case you need a color swatch to match the red I attached a couple of pictures. The Royal Albert Museum has a piece of Manfred's airplane.

Mike

Name:	Royal Alberta Piece Richthofen’s triplane2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	2252679   Click image for larger version

Name:	Royal Alberta Piece Richthofen’s triplane.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	2252680  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.