Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

STICK Brotherhood!!

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

STICK Brotherhood!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 09:51 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Guys,
I've finished building my Ultra Stick 30cc size from Horizon and been flying it now. I came across one issue with the model and that is the landing gear is not long enough for 18" to 20" props. Our Pu'unene flying field usually gets trade winds usually by 9:00 am...and most the time it can get a bit gusty. So I am usually hard on landing gear, but hardly ever break a prop. I have broken four wood props on this model so far and that is getting expensive. Also the foam tires did not last more then a dozen landings...and started to show damage, so I replaced them with DuBro, 5" balloon, air filled tires. I am still dialing in my VVRC twin cylinder 40cc gas engine....but it is also brand new. So needs to fly more to really get all the power will have. I love the model...just making it a bit better. My model came out to weight at 16 lbs ready to fly.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 03-18-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:06 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
Hi Guys,
I've finished building my Ultra Stick 30cc size from Horizon and been flying it now. I came across one issue with the model and that is the landing gear is not long enough for 18" to 20" props. Our Pu'unene flying field usually gets trade winds usually by 9:00 am...and most the time it can get a bit gusty. So I am usually hard on landing gear, but hardly ever break a prop. I have broken four wood props on this model so far and that is getting expensive. Also the foam tires did not last more then a dozen landings...and started to show damage, so I replaced them with DuBro, 5" balloon, air filled tires. I am still dialing in my VVRC twin cylinder 40cc gas engine....but it is also brand new. So needs to fly more to really get all the power will have. I love the model...just making it a bit better. My model came out to weight at 16 lbs ready to fly.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Maybe something like this, I have a 25% pilot edge and i put yak landing gear on it for prop clearance

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fibe...4383.l4275.c10
Old 03-19-2018, 12:02 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

There isn't much you can't find online these days!
Old 03-31-2018, 12:31 AM
Bob Paris

Hi Guys,
I've been flying my Ultra Stick now for a dozen flights....and ran into a few issues with the model. I ended up going to United Auto and picked up a spring and installed it between the landing gear, about one third down the landing gear. I pulled the wheels off and I was surprised at the ware and tare on the foam tires finished in the kit. I installed a pair of DuBro air filled, 5" balloon tires. On the second flight after the modifications ( first generation, VVRC 40 cc twin cylinder gas engine) my engine seized up and broke one of the connecting rods. I had oil at a 40 to one mix Royal Purple 2 cycle oil on alcohol free 89 octane gas. I had a we bit of Lucas gas booster in the fuel. I had a good 2+ hours run time on the engine. I pulled the engine and sent it back to VVRC for repairs. I have had the engine for more then two years so I have no idea what it will cost to fix the engine. I have broken a few props because of the low prop clearance....five prop tips were broken or split. That is why I went to the larger wheels and spring. The winds here blow 15 kts. all the time and cross winds are common. So I know why my foam tires ware down like they did....landings are a challenge at times and I'm hard on landing gears.
Soft Landings Always,
Bob

Last edited by Bob Paris; 03-31-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:33 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I recently received a Great Planes Big Stik 60 built in the mid 90's that I am giving a thorough going over before committing to flight and would like to know what is a good starting point for the CG.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:16 AM
Big Stikflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karolh
I recently received a Great Planes Big Stik 60 built in the mid 90's that I am giving a thorough going over before committing to flight and would like to know what is a good starting point for the CG.
I have the Midwest Sweet Stik 40. I balanced mine on the center of the main spar. I can do snap rolls with mine. In my opinion, balance on the spar for most planes seems to be a good place to start.
Enjoy your stik.
Jay
Old 07-16-2018, 10:36 AM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You just beat me to it. Balance it on the spar and fine tune it from there if you need to.

Scott
Old 07-17-2018, 05:19 AM
karolh

Thanks guys.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:17 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Karolh you are Stick Brother 60.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:59 AM
Mikey954rr

Hello guys!

Count me in on the Stik Brotherhood. I up until recently have been without. Past Stik's were GP 40 Big Stik kit built, H9 Ultra Stick 120 Heavy, Scratch built Sweet N Low.
I have recently acquired a GP Big Stik 40 ARF from a club member to help train up a buddy and get him in the hobby. I also have on the bench a Kit Great Planes Big Stik 60. For power I have a Saito 100 laying around collecting dust but my spring for a 20cc gasser. For now I am thinking build light and the Saito will be a fine choice. Modifications will be the usual tail dragger conversion, build the wing flat, one servo for each aileron, and I am going to do some more Ultra Stick looking tail surfaces and I am getting rid of the scalloped control surfaces. I covered those before and it just isn't worth the fuss....plus I am increasing the size of the surfaces anyways. I think that is about it and will get some pictures posted once I get the build going in the next couple weeks.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:51 AM
brickwoodward

Originally Posted by smkrcflyer
I'm looking into building one of these from plans. I found a set on #bay. The wing is 67.5 inches and it says the 4 stroke engine range is 80 to 1.20. That seams like a big engine for a plane this size. Does it need an engine that big? I don't want to do 3d with it.
i built a GP Big stik 60 and put an OS 90 on it. Not quite enough power. It had enough, coupled with extreme throw on all surfaces, that flew in any wind most would not. I’m going to build another with a Saito 1.50 on it. That should be just about right??
Old 11-07-2018, 10:18 AM
brickwoodward

Default Most recent Stik

Originally Posted by brickwoodward

i built a GP Big stik 60 and put an OS 90 on it. Not quite enough power. It had enough, coupled with extreme throw on all surfaces, that flew in any wind most would not. I’m going to build another with a Saito 1.50 on it. That should be just about right??

This was an electric Telemaster 48” kit. Flat wing, stik body and surfaces with an OS .25 glow. Test flight coming

Number 2
Old 11-08-2018, 08:45 PM
karolh

My Great Planes Big Stik 60 that was built in '93' started out with a S.T .60, then an ASP .75, then S.T .90 and finally now has a Zenoah G20 which really makes it move with lots of authority. As the years rolled by I modded it quite a bit but it still flies great just like it did in its original state.

Last edited by karolh; 11-08-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:35 AM
FlyerInOKC

My Great Planes Big Stik 60 that was built in '93' started out with a S.T .60, then an ASP .75, then S.T .90 and finally now has a Zenoah G20 which really makes it move with lots of authority. As the years rolled by I modded it quite a bit but it still flies great just like it did in its original state.
Ah! You are following Phil Kraft's example. He built the original as a test bed.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:41 AM
brickwoodward

thats the way to do it!! I have a lot of contest grade balsa I’m going to build the next one with. Extremely light and agile!!
Old 11-12-2018, 12:40 PM
Bob Paris

Gentlemen,
I wrecked my 30cc Ultra Stick. All my fault...finally got the VVRC 40cc Twin to run like a top...and I landed short, hit the top of a WWII aircraft bunker, flat...and did a number on my landing gear and fuse. The wing has slight damage, and will recover, but the fuse is another story all itself. I ordered a new fuse and tail feathers. I cleaned out the carb and intake area of the engine and all seems clean. Since the airframe hit flat...all I did is peal the gear off clean, and near perfect condition. So all I need to do is RNR some gear and switches, mount the engine, and cover one wing tip. She will fly this coming weekend. All the electronics seemed to have made it ok.

If I could figure out yow to post pictures I will post pictures. Any help here would be nice.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 11-12-2018, 03:21 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you are posting from the quick reply box at the bottom just click on the little picture on the left side of the happy face. A dialog box will pop up for a url to the picture or the option to upload. Otherwise instead of using the quick reply box click on the Go-Advanced button just below it. Then there will be a button that says manage attachments for uploading pics.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:32 AM
brickwoodward

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
Dear Dvines,
If my memory serves me right...I believe all the early Midwest Sticks used rubber bands to hold down the wings, and were 100% balsa. My little sticks all had rubber band wing hold downs and used hard wood dowels to do the honors. It seems to me that not until the late 80's or early 90's did plastic hold down screws become more popular.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
you’re correct. The Big Stick I built in 92 had the nylon screws holding down the wing

2nd place club fun fly
Old 11-19-2018, 09:26 PM
3010charles

Hello everyone! If you would, count me into the Brotherhood. I love the Stiks. i'm prepairing to build my largest Stix to date, a Giant Big Stix 80.5 WS. Not sure what I will use for power yet, I'm leaning towards the DLE 40cc T.
I have owned one US .60 I have the GP Stix 60 powered with a DLE 20. I also fly a GP Electrostix with a E-Flite power 32 in the park and at work.
So glad I found this tread!
Old 11-20-2018, 05:28 AM
FlyerInOKC

Post pictures Charles!
Old 11-20-2018, 05:31 AM
karolh

Originally Posted by 3010charles
Hello everyone! If you would, count me into the Brotherhood. I love the Stiks. i'm prepairing to build my largest Stix to date, a Giant Big Stix 80.5 WS. Not sure what I will use for power yet, I'm leaning towards the DLE 40cc T.
I have owned one US .60 I have the GP Stix 60 powered with a DLE 20. I also fly a GP Electrostix with a E-Flite power 32 in the park and at work.
So glad I found this tread!
Welcome to the Brotherhood and happy to meet another Stik lover. Sure hope that you stick around and join in the fun here.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:04 AM
FlyerInOKC

I am working on a pair of Ken Willard's Sunday Fighters and am closing in on getting the Spadport finished when I realized how close it resembles a Stik. You got the box fuselage with basic slab sides and look at the wing tip!
Mike

Old 11-20-2018, 10:35 AM
3010charles

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Post pictures Charles!
I'll get some up as soon as I can.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:07 AM
N1EDM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Admission to the Brotherhood, please!

Hi Guys,

I wonder if you would consider adding me to the Stick Brotherhood... I've always wanted one and this weekend I came across a partially assembled Thunder Tiger Sweet Stick... The SS is an ARC (nice workmanship) but the owner had started to build an Inverted Stick. I plan on using a 46AX and a 12x4 prop,

I saw a link to a thread about building an inverted stick but I lost it. Does that sound familiar to anyone? Does anyone know where to find it again???

I scanned a post earlier where a guy is going to do his up in Red Baron colors... Hmmmmm, that sounds interesting.

Thanks for any assistance that you can give.

Bob

Last edited by N1EDM; 11-26-2018 at 05:12 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:08 AM
N1EDM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.