Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

STICK Brotherhood!!

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

STICK Brotherhood!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 06:29 AM
brickwoodward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R!aan
Just got myself a GP big stick .60 so count me in
i don’t know if you’re still on here, but I could use a serious favor?? On the fuselage side view, can you tell me the total length of the fuselage on the bottom? Then, at 90 degrees can you provide measurements at the wing leading edge and trailing edge and how tall the very back of the side view? I have my uncles plans but the side view is missing?

Number 2
this is a scratch built 48 inch Stik with an OS 25. And I have a Saito 150 for the 60 size Stik. Thank you in advance, bill
Old 11-27-2018, 09:23 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by brickwoodward

i don’t know if you’re still on here, but I could use a serious favor?? On the fuselage side view, can you tell me the total length of the fuselage on the bottom? Then, at 90 degrees can you provide measurements at the wing leading edge and trailing edge and how tall the very back of the side view? I have my uncles plans but the side view is missing?

Number 2
this is a scratch built 48 inch Stik with an OS 25. And I have a Saito 150 for the 60 size Stik. Thank you in advance, bill
Here you go for dimensions for a Great Planes Big Stik 60 ( kit built )
Fuse bottom length from fire wall to tail = 46"
Fuse side height at LE = 3 7/8"
Fuse side height at TE = 3 7/8"
Fuse side height at tail = 1"
Old 11-27-2018, 12:25 PM
brickwoodward

Originally Posted by karolh
Here you go for dimensions for a Great Planes Big Stik 60 ( kit built )
Fuse bottom length from fire wall to tail = 46"
Fuse side height at LE = 3 7/8"
Fuse side height at TE = 3 7/8"
Fuse side height at tail = 1"
i just can’t thank you enough!! I have some velum I can draw the pieces, and I have the rib pics. Thank you again!!
Old 11-27-2018, 12:54 PM
karolh

Originally Posted by brickwoodward
I just can’t thank you enough!! I have some velum I can draw the pieces, and I have the rib pics. Thank you again!!
Glad I could be of help.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:39 PM
go_hercules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have asked this question on other forums, but wanted some other opinions.

I am considering the Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 10cc. They recommend the Evolution 10cc gas engine. I would like to use an O.S. 46FX since I already have one. Some say it will work fine, others say it will be noticeably underpowered. Has anyone used this combination? Any opinions welcome.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:48 PM
Big Stikflyer

I have no experience with the hangar 9 ultra stick but I have built plenty of Jensen and Midwest Stiks. I really like to build and dont care for ARFs. The Jensen 60 size ugly stik fly weight was 6lbs and rated for a 45 to 60 size engine. The hangar 9 ultra stick weight is 7lbs and rated only for a 60 size motor. Will a OS 46 fly a ultra stick? I believe it will but you'll want to be careful because it will stall easily with that motor. I understand using what you already have, I do it all the time. I'm just not a big fan of an under powered plane. I built a Midwest Sweet Stik 40 and put a K&B 60 on it.
Even though I'm get up in years now and I'm starting to slow things down, I'm careful not to slow a fully aerobatic plane down to much. Do you just not want to build your own plane? You can get a 40 size stick plans from outerzone. And your OS 46 would fly it just fine. The stick is a very easy plane to scratch build. Just something to think about.
Good Luck
Old 06-19-2019, 07:48 PM
brickwoodward

Originally Posted by go_hercules
I have asked this question on other forums, but wanted some other opinions.

I am considering the Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 10cc. They recommend the Evolution 10cc gas engine. I would like to use an O.S. 46FX since I already have one. Some say it will work fine, others say it will be noticeably underpowered. Has anyone used this combination? Any opinions welcome.
My opinion is, excessive power is about okay. I’ve been building and flying rc since 1979. The next airplane has always been just a little bit better and lighter than the previous. If it calls for 10cc and folks are divided on the 46, it won’t be enough. I have grown to use excessive power and maximum surface throw here in windy Florida. If I was going to get that airplane, and I didn’t build it, I would at least start with a .60 or a .90 four stroke. That’s where I would start. I would most likely end up with a Saito 1.50 a shorter prop and a mixture so as not to over rev it. My opinion is if you go to an 80 or 90 two stroke, that’s a lot of fuel. I built a 60 size Stik, very light, 6 pounds dry and put an Enya 90 on it. It was just enough but no vertical. But that’s me. I was given an Avistar that came with a 46. I’m putting a .61 on it with only a small penalty in weight. I like having a lot of extra power for windy conditions. Learn to fly with maximum surface throw and you can fly in conditions that ground a lot of others. Sorry I’m so long winded?
Old 06-19-2019, 08:07 PM
go_hercules

Thanks guys for that info. Really not too interested in building right now, I have time for an ARF though. Maybe I will look for a little lighter plane for the 46. I wish they would give weights on these planes EMPTY, without engine or servos, etc. They show a "flying weight" of 7 pounds on this plane. But, does that include the 10cc gas engine, ignition, extra ignition battery, kill switch, etc. ??? If so, using the 46FX would probably be at least a pound lighter overall.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:22 PM
brickwoodward

Thanks guys for that info. Really not too interested in building right now, I have time for an ARF though. Maybe I will look for a little lighter plane for the 46. I wish they would give weights on these planes EMPTY, without engine or servos, etc. They show a "flying weight" of 7 pounds on this plane. But, does that include the 10cc gas engine, ignition, extra ignition battery, kill switch, etc. ??? If so, using the 46FX would probably be at least a pound lighter overall.
like Stikflyer said, maybe look for another lighter for your 46?? It will be a better flyer.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:58 AM
karolh

All the advice you have gotten so far is worth heeding as being a Stik lover and flyer myself, and even though they are very forgiving models it's advisable not to be marginal in the power department as that could spell disaster in a tricky situation. My suggestion is to keep your current .46 engine for a lighter loaded model and consider using a .55 - .60 glow engine or a 10 - 15cc gas engine to power your Stik.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:18 AM
go_hercules

I think you are right on that. I think I will look for a smaller plane, maybe I can find an older 40 size stick arf. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:09 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I think you are right on that. I think I will look for a smaller plane, maybe I can find an older 40 size stick arf. Thanks.
How about a Midwest Sweet Stik? You can build it in an afternoon and then cover it with film.

Free plans here: https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=8210

Short kit here for $55: Buy Laser Short Kits | The Balsa Workbench
Old 06-20-2019, 11:31 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

HI Guys,
I've rebuilt my crashed Ultra Stick 30 from Horizon Hobbies-my fault. I needed a new fuse and I repaired the wing. I have now had a good 25 flights on the model and the VVRC 40 twin cylinder Is running great. I use a 20 x 8 prop and a Xoar prop, manage 6800 rpm at full throttle. The landing gear given in the kit is way to flimsy for the weight of he model and size of the prop you need to fly it properly, even with just a 30cc gas engine. I purchased TnT landing gear as a replacement and 6" DuBro balloon landing wheels.

Welcome to TnT's Online Catalog

The TnT landing gear are made from aircraft grade Aluminum and are more wide and taller, plus three times as thick as the kit supplied landing gear. With my DuBro wheels...its perfect now. I am hard on landing gear due to the cross winds and weather we get here at our flying field. I also do not use the kit supplied tail wheel or how its mounted on the fuselage. I used a heavy duty Kalt unit...the last one I had and a perfect for the kit. Its a larger scale looking tail wheel assembly and looks great. The model now has a nice stance and very happy with the model now.

I also used Robart hinges on the model for the tail feathers and the kit supplied CA hinges on the wing. I use a 3000 nickel battery for the Rx and a 2000 nickel for the ignition. HD1501BBMG servo's for all controls and I placed my two elevator and rudder servo aft just forward of the stabilizer leading edge. The kit supplied two places for the servo's in the tail and I just added a third in front of the elevator servo on the Port side. I use a 9350 Spektrum Rx and use all nine channels. One for each elevator half (2), rudder, ailerons (2), flaps (2), engine and ignition cut off. I use a 20 channel Tx for the model and use mixes for rudder-aileron mix or CAR, flap-elevator mix for trim with flaps deployed, aileron-elevator mix-really helps the roll, aileron-flap mix (Take off flaps 20 deg.--full flaps 60 deg. w/20 deg. aileron down).

With full flaps, w/aileron mix, the model will get airborne in 10 feet at full power. It also has an unlimited vertical climb...hover to.

The VVRC 40 cc gas twin cylinder engine has a solid idle and an instant response to full power. I am pleasantly surprised at how well it runs and the throttle response I have with this engine. It took a bit of tweaking to get the engine set up properly and I use a intake velocity stack too for the engine. I use a 32/1 oil mix with "0" alcohal 89 octane fuel and use Royal Purple 2 cycle oil. 16 oz. Roto fuel tank will give me 30 minutes + of flying. I also use a bit of "Lucas" gas additive to my fuel and seems to help the idle and the acceleration of the rpm's from idle to full power ( I use a five gallon plastic fuel can and add 1/4 small bottle of the fuel additive to the gas can, then pour into my 1.0 gal. field plastic gas can and add the oil mix as required for the fuel).

I love the model....

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 06-20-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:23 PM
badfrogg

I can appreciate and I do love all the sticks I see here, but, I do have one problem. Ya see now, I've been reading this here thread for about a half an hour now and I ain't seen no Rick Sticks!

Now I just can't abide to that, So to represent Florida proper... Here is to the Rick Stick!

Mvvs 49 on the pipe! 48" wingspan. Somthin like 5 or 6 pounds.

Homegrown right here in Florida, The Rick Stick!

Last edited by badfrogg; 07-30-2019 at 07:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
spinracing (Yesterday)
Old 07-30-2019, 07:36 PM
badfrogg

And here is where Rick Stick come from these days. A dusty little machine shop in Safety Harbor.

If they crash, we make more.
The following users liked this post:
spinracing (Yesterday)
Old 07-30-2019, 07:39 PM
FlyerInOKC

Well there is your problem we're talking about Stiks not Sticks!
Old 07-30-2019, 07:49 PM
badfrogg

Cool

Yeah. And I'm listening to the Styx. So that's my frame of mind
Old 07-31-2019, 04:29 AM
karolh

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Oh yeah brother !!
Old 07-31-2019, 09:14 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
That's not what it says at the top of the page.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:46 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
That's not what it says at the top of the page.
Simply an unfortunate spelling error like spelling tires as tyres.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:17 PM
Bob Paris

HI Guys,
I've rebuilt my crashed Ultra Stick 30 from Horizon Hobbies-my fault. I needed a new fuse and I repaired the wing. I have now had a good 25 flights on the model and the VVRC 40 twin cylinder Is running great. I use a 20 x 8 prop and a Xoar prop, manage 7,200 rpm at full throttle. The landing gear given in the kit is way to flimsy for the weight of he model and size of the prop you need to fly it properly, even with just a 30cc gas engine. I purchased TnT landing gear as a replacement and 6" DuBro balloon landing wheels.

Welcome to TnT's Online Catalog

The TnT landing gear are made from aircraft grade Aluminum and are more wide and taller, plus three times as thick as the kit supplied landing gear. With my DuBro wheels...its perfect now. I am hard on landing gear due to the cross winds and weather we get here at our flying field. I also do not use the kit supplied tail wheel or how its mounted on the fuselage. I used a heavy duty Kalt unit...the last one I had and a perfect for the kit. Its a larger scale looking tail wheel assembly and looks great. The model now has a nice stance and very happy with the model now.

I also used Robart hinges on the model for the tail feathers and the kit supplied CA hinges on the wing. I use a 3000 nickel battery for the Rx and a 2000 nickel for the ignition. HD1501BBMG servo's for all controls and I placed my two elevator and rudder servo aft just forward of the stabilizer leading edge. The kit supplied two places for the servo's in the tail and I just added a third in front of the elevator servo on the Port side. I use a 9350 Spektrum Rx and use all nine channels. One for each elevator half (2), rudder, ailerons (2), flaps (2), engine and ignition cut off. I use a 20 channel Tx for the model and use mixes for rudder-aileron mix or CAR, flap-elevator mix for trim with flaps deployed, aileron-elevator mix-really helps the roll, aileron-flap mix (Take off flaps 20 deg.--full flaps 60 deg. w/20 deg. aileron down).

With full flaps, w/aileron mix, the model will get airborne in 10 feet at full power. It also has an unlimited vertical climb...hover to.

The VVRC 40 cc gas twin cylinder engine has a solid idle and an instant response to full power. I am pleasantly surprised at how well it runs and the throttle response I have with this engine. It took a bit of tweaking to get the engine set up properly and I use a intake velocity stack too for the engine. I use a 32/1 oil mix with "0" alcohal 89 octane fuel and use Royal Purple 2 cycle oil. 16 oz. Roto fuel tank will give me 30 minutes + of flying. I also use a bit of "Lucas" gas additive to my fuel and seems to help the idle and the acceleration of the rpm's from idle to full power ( I use a five gallon plastic fuel can and add 1/4 small bottle of the fuel additive to the gas can, then pour into my 1.0 gal. field plastic gas can and add the oil mix as required for the fuel).

I love the model....

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 08-02-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:34 PM
Bob Paris

Old 09-10-2019, 02:56 PM
kablake

My latest Stik... A Big Stick Kit I got about a year ago,, On the nose is a OS 91FS SII..
Old 05-23-2020, 01:45 AM
out_door_man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just Joined.

I have just won a U'LIKE - STICK 60/40 off E-bay. Its advertised as an ARTF R/C Trainer. Fitted with an Irvine 46 but will take up to a 90 FS. I've never heard on this make and can find no information on it, I have the build instructions so no problems there. It has all the servos, tank and push rods installed, in fact ready to go. Does anybody have any experience of this plane ?
Old 05-29-2020, 09:05 AM
cfoxtrot

New member here...

Hi all, hoping someone can help me out. I have acquired a Model Tech Joss Stick (67 1/4" wingspan) un-built.

Unfortunately it is missing the the instructional manual. If anyone could help me out with a copy, pictures, or PDF of the manual
I would be grateful.

It is missing a few items and a manual would sure take a lot of guess work out of the project.

Thanks for your time
Cfoxtrot

PS, Google has not turned up anything helpful

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.