Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

STICK Brotherhood!!

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

STICK Brotherhood!!

Old 07-24-2021, 09:42 PM
  #376  
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)
 
highhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,461
Received 71 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Count me among the Brotherhood please!

Been flying Sticks of one variety or other for a looong time. Even converted one to turbine :-)

My latest is this Seagull Classic Stick. It’s an OK but not great ARF. Here’s a thread on the Seagull variant, to which I have added my post-assembly two cents.

Seagull Classic Stick

And here’s what a Stick looks like in blue, which I rather like




Old 07-24-2021, 09:47 PM
  #377  
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)
 
highhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,461
Received 71 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Here is a Great Planes Giant Stick, converted to turbine and next to a nitro sibling for reference:



The following users liked this post:
brickwoodward (09-26-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 06:27 AM
  #378  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 13,553
Received 156 Likes on 142 Posts
Default

Nice looking plane all way round!
Old 09-26-2021, 11:12 AM
  #379  
flyingagin
 
flyingagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Leavenworth, KS
Posts: 2,539
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

I have had 2 sticks. A .60 size, and and .40 size. The .60 was a kit. Loved that plane. slammed it into a garbage dumpster. The dumpster survived.

The .40 sized was and ARF that modified the heck out of. Turned it into a twin with a pair of .25s. Had a structural failure in flight, and even though I got back to the runway, it became a kit again. Didn't rebuild.

Still have the plans for the .60 sized plane.

Salvaged a .40 stick wing from the trash can. Kept it a number of years. It is becoming a Super Sportster. Dowel and bolt on wing. Wing mounter mains.

No pictures of any of the past two sticks. But here is the .40 Super Sportster.






Ken
Old 09-26-2021, 11:17 AM
  #380  
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)
 
highhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,461
Received 71 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Dude, that’s a nice kit-bash (making one kit into something different, not a reference to destruction) !
Please keep us updated as it comes along?
Old 09-26-2021, 11:40 AM
  #381  
flyingagin
 
flyingagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Leavenworth, KS
Posts: 2,539
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Thanks highhorse.
I have salvaged numerus plane parts mine or some one else after crashing them and made something else with them.

Right now my wife and I are in the process of moving from Ca. to Mo. Still hunting for a property. The house is packed up and mostly sitting in the garage in tubs. My shop tools are either packed the same way or pushed against the work bench (that is going also). I have a narrow path to walk thru. So until after the move all work on anything is temporally halted.

I do have a build thread for for the SS here.

Ken
Old 09-26-2021, 09:49 PM
  #382  
brickwoodward
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: titusville florida, FL
Posts: 220
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by flyingagin View Post
I have had 2 sticks. A .60 size, and and .40 size. The .60 was a kit. Loved that plane. slammed it into a garbage dumpster. The dumpster survived.

The .40 sized was and ARF that modified the heck out of. Turned it into a twin with a pair of .25s. Had a structural failure in flight, and even though I got back to the runway, it became a kit again. Didn't rebuild.

Still have the plans for the .60 sized plane.

Salvaged a .40 stick wing from the trash can. Kept it a number of years. It is becoming a Super Sportster. Dowel and bolt on wing. Wing mounter mains.

No pictures of any of the past two sticks. But here is the .40 Super Sportster.






Ken
hi, would you consider, renting, loaning or selling the 60 plans?? I had one and flew it for years and would love to build another!!
im at [email protected] email
thanks, bill

Last edited by brickwoodward; 09-26-2021 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:59 AM
  #383  
karolh
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mandeville, JAMAICA
Posts: 6,787
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Your rebuild is looking real good so far. I had a .40 size Sportster many years back powered by an S.T.45S engine that as I recall was a very nice flying model with absolutely no bad habits. Would appreciate you keeping us posted on your progress.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:18 AM
  #384  
flyingagin
 
flyingagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Leavenworth, KS
Posts: 2,539
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Hi brickwoodward

All of my plans are packed. I'm not even sure which tub they are in. I have tubs stack several high and 2 rows the length of the garage. If could get at the plans I would have them scanned into a pdf and send them to you. Or have them printed out and send them that way. Just for what it would have cost me.

But I did some searching on outerzone.co.uk and on hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans. Got lucky on OZ. here. You will need to print these out. Any of the big office box stores should be able to. I have been able to get several plans this way.

I will see if I can attach the files. But you can also follow the link, then go to the bottom left of the page and there are 3 download buttons.

If you take these to have printed out take a tape measure with and measure the the wing to insure it is correct. They seem to have the ability to see what their print out size would be. But I very heartily recommend you double check. They can readjust if needed. You don't want to pay for something that ain't correct.

P.S. for Hip Pocket you do have have to register for both sides of their site to download plans.

I hope this helps you are any one else on this thread.

Ken
Old 09-27-2021, 11:24 AM
  #385  
flyingagin
 
flyingagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Leavenworth, KS
Posts: 2,539
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Hi karolh.

I am looking forward to being able to start building again after the move. Out of self preservation and love I have to get the house set up for the wife first and also the shop. Have to have a functional shop to do many of the things she is going to want.

I had a friend you had one back in the 90's. good airplane.

Ken
Old 09-27-2021, 02:32 PM
  #386  
flyingagin
 
flyingagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Leavenworth, KS
Posts: 2,539
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Ha I forgot to attach the files. What a moroon.

Ken



Old 11-28-2021, 04:07 AM
  #387  
Bskik
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Has anyone seen any plans out there for 3D printing a dummy motor like the Durafly Stikís?
Old 11-28-2021, 07:02 AM
  #388  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 13,553
Received 156 Likes on 142 Posts
Default

Do you have a picture of the engine you want?
Old 03-02-2022, 06:18 PM
  #389  
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)
 
highhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,461
Received 71 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

The sequel to my previous Jet-Stick is under construction. Re-using previous, strengthened Giant Stick wing, fuse and empennage are from scratch. Will have. Jet-Cat P-100, carry 80oz of fuel in a Dubro tank, and weigh (I hope) less then 20 lbs dry and 25 lbs wet.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:20 PM
  #390  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 13,553
Received 156 Likes on 142 Posts
Default

Who shot with the scatter gun?
Old 03-02-2022, 09:28 PM
  #391  
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)
 
highhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,461
Received 71 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Haha. Yep, that was me. I use those stickers to patch the occasional hole. Two dead-sticks into a field of harvested bean stalks perforated the wing pretty well.

Last edited by highhorse; 03-02-2022 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:48 AM
  #392  
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)
 
highhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,461
Received 71 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Here are a couple of update pics on my current Turbine Stik project. New turbine arriving this week, custome Callie Graphics arriving next week, and I hope to be flying in the first week of May…




Old 04-20-2022, 04:18 PM
  #393  
brickwoodward
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: titusville florida, FL
Posts: 220
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by flyingagin View Post
Hi brickwoodward

All of my plans are packed. I'm not even sure which tub they are in. I have tubs stack several high and 2 rows the length of the garage. If could get at the plans I would have them scanned into a pdf and send them to you. Or have them printed out and send them that way. Just for what it would have cost me.

But I did some searching on outerzone.co.uk and on hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans. Got lucky on OZ. here. You will need to print these out. Any of the big office box stores should be able to. I have been able to get several plans this way.

I will see if I can attach the files. But you can also follow the link, then go to the bottom left of the page and there are 3 download buttons.

If you take these to have printed out take a tape measure with and measure the the wing to insure it is correct. They seem to have the ability to see what their print out size would be. But I very heartily recommend you double check. They can readjust if needed. You don't want to pay for something that ain't correct.

P.S. for Hip Pocket you do have have to register for both sides of their site to download plans.

I hope this helps you are any one else on this thread.

Ken
hi Ken, just got back in here. Hope your move worked out! I went the OZ and got plans. I even got a set for one we built way back in the late 80ís early 90ís. It was named Bee-Tween. I up sized the plans 15% and we ran a .074 on it. Great front yard flyer!!
Old 04-24-2022, 11:07 PM
  #394  
kaboomski
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Helsinki, FINLAND
Posts: 63
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

This is my stick. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is an AMR Big Stick 85. It has a ZDZ-140 with KS 1090B-pipes. The engine swings a Falcon 29x12 with over 40kg of static thrust. The plane weighs 17kg dry. The measured top speed is 225km/h / 140mph. The ailerons are significantly larger than the original design to improve the roll rate.

--kaboomski;




Old 04-25-2022, 06:50 AM
  #395  
flyingagin
 
flyingagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Leavenworth, KS
Posts: 2,539
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

brickwoodward The move did get done. It was not a boring trip by any means. I was pullin a 27ft travel trailer. Got bad Deisel fuel in Arizona. Barely able to climb the grade. No power. Next tank truck ran great. Then approaching McLean Texas a tire came off the trailer. Hub separated from axle. The tire hit the driver side of a Simi (no injury) then started a grass fire on both sides of the freeway and middle. We left the trailer there to have new axle installed. Bent that real good. We go back soon to get the trailer. But not even a scratch on anybody. Unloaded moved in. Planes are in the storm shooter room. More stuff to come out later.

Not a boring trip. I like boring trips

Ken
Old 04-25-2022, 09:07 AM
  #396  
brickwoodward
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: titusville florida, FL
Posts: 220
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by flyingagin View Post
brickwoodward The move did get done. It was not a boring trip by any means. I was pullin a 27ft travel trailer. Got bad Deisel fuel in Arizona. Barely able to climb the grade. No power. Next tank truck ran great. Then approaching McLean Texas a tire came off the trailer. Hub separated from axle. The tire hit the driver side of a Simi (no injury) then started a grass fire on both sides of the freeway and middle. We left the trailer there to have new axle installed. Bent that real good. We go back soon to get the trailer. But not even a scratch on anybody. Unloaded moved in. Planes are in the storm shooter room. More stuff to come out later.

Not a boring trip. I like boring trips

Ken
wow!! Sure glad everyone is okay!! Thereís a lot to be said for boring trips!!
Old 04-27-2022, 10:32 AM
  #397  
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)
 
highhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,461
Received 71 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Holy Moly Kaboomski, thatís some pull you have there!
The following users liked this post:
brickwoodward (04-27-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 07:45 AM
  #398  
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)
 
highhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,461
Received 71 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Update on the Jet Stik:

Maidened a couple of days ago. Flew great, but I have exceeded the capabilities of the nose gear and need a more robust, less flexible one.

It came out fairly heavy, partly by design and party due to using some really awful balsa that needed a lot of fill work. 22.2 lbs empty and 26.4 fueled. Will be right at 28 lbs at takeoff when adding smoke. Xicoy turbine puts out 27 lbs thrust if desired but is currently de-rated to around 20 lbs pending more test flights.





Last edited by highhorse; 05-19-2022 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:01 AM
  #399  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 13,553
Received 156 Likes on 142 Posts
Default

Congrats! She looks great!
Old 05-20-2022, 04:28 AM
  #400  
karolh
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mandeville, JAMAICA
Posts: 6,787
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Great looking Stik, happy that your maiden flight went well. Just curious, what's the wing span and wing area ?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.