Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

STICK Brotherhood!!

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

STICK Brotherhood!!

Old 05-22-2022, 04:18 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have built and have been flying the Seagul Ugly Stick now for almost six months. I had several major issues with the model, but once corrected, turned out ok. I was able to get my model early and cost me under $250.00 delivered. It now sells for about $350.00 + delivery. To be honest if I lose this model for any reason, I will not buy another, but I will buy the Horizon 30cc gas Ugly Stick. Better quality and better built. I love Ugly Sticks and I have been flying them since Larry Lenard sold the Little Stick kit back in the early 70's. I've built one, two, three and four engined Ugly Sticks...from 24" wing span to 106". I know Ugly Sticks.

I had the top hatch fall apart soon after flying the model, and ended up installing hard wood blocks and using servo screws to attach it. The attach method is weak and wood used to lock it down not only weak, but will break with little use. Enforce it in the beginning and save yourself headaches later on.

Second...the forward wing hold down system was so weak it broke on a landing in a cross wind and the right wing tip hit the ground on a ground loop. It was not a crash...and the wing tip just touched the ground and did no damage to the wing. The forward wing hold down ply was so light and weak, it broke free ! I had to reinforce the forward wing attachment with quality 1/4" aircraft quality ply and I highly recommend you do this to your model, before you fly this model for the first time.

On a landing...not a hard landing-but a normal landing, my landing gear ripped clear of the fuse. I found very little glue to mount the landing gear block, and the way it is attached was a really poor design. The bottom balsa on the fuse was so soft for me, I had to reinforce it ( a really poor choice of material). I replaced the bottom fuse balsa with 3/32" quality aircraft ply from the fire wall, aft to the aft bulkhead (where the trailing of the wing sets up against). I also put in a doubler to where the landing gear screws mount the landing gear 6" long, over the 3/32" ply I placed first on the bottom. So far...with over 70 flights in all winds, I have had no more issues with the landing gear. If you do not reinforce the landing gear attachment...you will lose your landing gear and damage the bottom of your fuse.

I beefed up the fire wall and fly my model with a DLE 20cc. I installed the landing gear from the Horizon 30cc gear (from the Horizon 30cc Ugly Stick)-I needed the clearance for a 17x6 Xore prop and installed 4-1/2" DuBro balloon tires. I also installed a heavy duty tail wheel assembly.

I now have over 70 flights on this model and with my up grades it flys great. It will come out a bit more heavy then posted, but it flies great.

Unless you willing to upgrade this model and do the mods I have mentioned...I would not recommend this model. If you search the internet on this model...you will see many folks have had these issues. With my up grades it turned into a good flying model and the airframe is easily able to handle the DLE 20cc gas engine. I mounted my elevator and rudder servo aft near the tail, and the model I received had servo cut outs already there. All you need to do is cut out the covering and mount your servo's.

I hope this helps folks with their models.

Soft Landings Always,
Bob Paris
Old 05-22-2022, 05:08 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 140 Likes on 129 Posts

When I decide to build another Stik I will go the short kit route.

Buy Laser Short Kits | The Balsa Workbench
Old 06-06-2022, 05:41 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by karolh View Post
Great looking Stik, happy that your maiden flight went well. Just curious, what's the wing span and wing area ?
The wing started life as a GP Giant Stik. It’s been beefed up but the basic numbers remain the same at 80” span and 1400” area.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:48 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Here a a few more pics, courtesy of a fellow club member:

Old 06-08-2022, 07:17 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have to say...different strokes for sure...but Wow...I have to admit, you picked a great airframe to modify. I have been flying Ugly Sticks since the late 70's, with Larry Lenard's Little Stick, and then modified Standard Ugly Stick. With one, two, three and four engines...but never a jet. Looks good too flying....nice work. How does it handle...just like the standard Stick ? Just wondering how the modification fly's.

Last edited by Bob Paris; 06-08-2022 at 07:20 PM.