Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

HANGAR 9 meridian 10cc

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

HANGAR 9 meridian 10cc

Old 11-23-2015, 05:06 AM
gerbo2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HANGAR 9 meridian 10cc

Hi all.

i have acquired a hangar 9 meridian , complete with 10cc evolution petrol motor. Both appear in good condition , with the motor having roughly 15 flights of 10 mins or so on it.

this is my first petrol motor , as I wanted to stear away from methanol , as I have been having quite a few dead sticks , and lost a very nice plane due to a low down dead stick , and poor judgement. I see all these guys at the field with reliable petrol engines , so sold all my methanol motors and have been heading towards petrol. Hence buying this.

The first problem I am having is tuning. This little motor seams to be more hard work to keep running properly than any of my methanol motors ever where.

I got got the engine running sweet on the ground , perfect transition , perfect top end holds the top RPM with no sag , or cutting out.....great idle.

First take off get up off the ground and boom , dead stick. So I landed her , luckily not to break anything and away I go to fiddle with it.

long story short , it would appear that I have to have the engine quite noticeably rich on the ground , to ensure it doesn't dead stick on take off , and sometimes I am getting also dead sticks when bringing back to idle on landing.....it to me....seams quite unreliable......although runs pretty good in the air.

i am also running all the proper gear fuel tubing etc etc supplied by evolution....and the correct clunk.

even when in the air , this model seams very underpowered. This motor has the same power output of a OS46AX , and I am running it with a 12x7 prop , it just doesn't seam to have much power.....I'm flying at full throttle most of the time. It will pull vertical but it needs a bit of a run up so to speak.

it just seams to be really tempremental.......I was hoping to have a "set n forget" motor , like I see with other guys larger petrol engines........so far it's been giving me more grief that nitro , so much so I feel like every time I take off , it could result in a possible dead stick.

i am new to tuning of motors I must admit , so any help or advice how to do it properly ( I got a small tacho ordered ) would be appreciated , as my attempt at what I thorght was perfect tune , is obversly wrong.

also , would it effect it if the motor is undersized for this model? It just seams sluggish and flying so much of the time " on the motor " , and does this mean I will have to run her a lot richer on the ground? The aircraft and the motor have been matched by manufacturer as being a good match , yet I can't help but think the 15cc one would have been a better match with power there as spare.

any help would be appreciated, I'm also running 91 octane fuel with a 20:1 2 stroke mineral oil as base......lots of black soot coming from the exhaust!

cheers guys
Craig.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:35 PM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you go to the Horizon site you can download the manual for the engine just in case
you didn't get one with the purchase of the plane / engine combo. I see it suggest a 12-6
for normal flying, you using a 12-7 could be a small part of the problem, but shouldn't
cause a lot of the things you are stating. I also shows a 10-6 for break in, so you might
try in between the 2 sizes to see which works best for the engine / plane combo. It may
also give a little insight into what adjustments you might need to make to make the engine
more reliable.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/EVOE10GX2-Manual-EN.pdf