Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

3 line tank problem

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

3 line tank problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 07:50 AM
dmayrose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3 line tank problem

i am having trouble filling my 3 line tank. the fill line is a brass tube bent to bottom of tank. vent line is brass line bent to top of tank. pickup line is typical flex line and clunk to back of tank that moves freely. no kinks in any of the bends. the problem is that when filling tank, as soon as fuel reaches the stopper level it begins to come out of the pickup line. it is a seagull tank for the seagull super star model. plane will have a cowl is why i am using the 3 line tank. a fuel dot will be in the cowl. any suggestions on solving this problem would be helpful
Old 12-14-2016, 10:01 AM
dmayrose

got it fiqured out. close throttle
Old 12-14-2016, 12:40 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

You really ought to find another way, you're just flooding and risking hydraulic lock on the engine when you do it that way.

3 line is great for gas engines with a pulse pump but not so much for glow engines.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:37 PM
golf4two

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
You really ought to find another way, you're just flooding and risking hydraulic lock on the engine when you do it that way.

3 line is great for gas engines with a pulse pump but not so much for glow engines.
Absolutely not true. Three line systems are the standard for cowled glow engines.

The top of your pressure line tube (which also acts as the overflow) should be at or very near the top of the tank. This will need to be bent toward the top inside the tank. May take a little finageling to get it into the tank and set properly but it's the only way to ensure a full tank.

Last edited by golf4two; 12-20-2016 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Added explanation for placement of pressure tube inside tank.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:39 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Well I have very little experience so I will defer.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:01 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Hmm. All my planes use the three-line system with no problems. Engines are upright, side-mounted or inverted. Only time I've seen a problem was on a beginner's plane where the vent tube was touching the top of the tank, restricting air flow.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:26 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

The OP is correct in his setup and his resolution to the problem . There is nothing wrong with using a 3 line system on glow or gas . You just need to close the throttle to prevent fuel spillage .
Old 12-27-2016, 06:09 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

On a Glow Engine set-up you should just use a 2 line tank set-up and get yourself a Dubro EZ-Fueler. It will shut off the side to the carburetor as you fill and won't flood the engine.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:23 AM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Greg Wright
On a Glow Engine set-up you should just use a 2 line tank set-up and get yourself a Dubro EZ-Fueler. It will shut off the side to the carburetor as you fill and won't flood the engine.
I disagree. Three of the three Dubro fueling valves I tried leaked within three months. It was not a problem with dirty fuel as all my planes use fuel filters and they were clean.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:07 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
As most of you have already said: The 3-line system is the most used tank set up in R/C. with or without any fuel dot or fueler ( which is no good as it could leak) but... a better 3-line system if not using the "Tettra bubble less tank (which is the best tank system) is using the "Uni-flow" tank system with the pressure line riding along side the fuel line inside the tank and having the over-flow at the top (as usual).
This system gives a more precise fuel delivery than an ordinary 3-line tank system.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_Tank 1.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	2202130