Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

4 cycle maintenance

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

4 cycle maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 10:58 AM
Mike360

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 cycle maintenance

I got back into flying a few years ago and haven't been out for almost a year now but gonna start getting to the field again and was
wondering if any of you 4 cycle guys have found what I have, after abut every 30 minutes of running I need to put a bit of afterrun
oil in the crankcase and make sure it gets on the cam bearings, if I do this my 4 cycles keep purring nicely. I found this after running
one over 12 flights and could hear engine noise, tore it done and found the cam bearings bone dry. Opinions ?
Old 10-02-2017, 02:48 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

I use one of my three 4 strokes engines all the time, that one doesn't get any after run oil, the other two I use them not so often those two get the after run oil at the end of the day.

What I'm trying to prevent here by using the ARO is corrosion on the bearings.

I have been maintaining these engines like that for about 6 years now and they are running strong.

Last edited by CARS II; 10-02-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:26 AM
Mike360

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using ARO for what its designed is good , what I'm finding is that the older 4 strokes seem to just not get any low end oil
Old 11-02-2017, 07:25 PM
bhady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I give my 4-strokes a good dose of outboard motor fogging oil after running dry of fuel when finished for the day. The snorkel tube is inserted in the crankcase vent line and the engine is given a few good shots of the lube and turned over a few times between shots. This has worked for me for years. After all, fogging oil is designed to be used for engines going into storage.