Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Question for RCM Hooker owners (past or present)

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Question for RCM Hooker owners (past or present)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 05:59 PM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Question for RCM Hooker owners (past or present)

I am considering ordering plans and a short kit for one of these. There is only one thing that concerns me - if this plane is capable of decent knife edge flight. Stick type planes, with minimal fuselage side area generally don't do well at knife edge flight, but the Hooker has wingtip plates, which I imagine might help a little in that regard.

Anyone who currently flies a Hooker, or has in the past - how did yours do in knife edge flight? Also, do you know of anyone who has put a .60-.62 4-cycle engine in one, and how it performed with such?

As a side note, when I was heavily into r/c planes 30 years ago, I actually designed a scaled-down Hooker, by studying the plans and manually re-drew them to a .40 size. I was a manual draftsman back then, so that part was easy. I want the full size Hooker now.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:16 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I would think if your 40 size is a 2 stroke size as is typical when referring to sizing that would be right for a 60 size 4-stroke engine.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:19 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

You will find that those rather small wing tip plates aren't much help with knife edge flight. There really isn't any substitute for fuselage side area.