Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Lets see your ULTRA SPORTS !!!!!!!!!!!

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Lets see your ULTRA SPORTS !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lets see your ULTRA SPORTS !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Fellas,

Minn The snap rate is great and she knife edges like no other plane I've ever had, it almost looks like an F-16 when I snap roll her doing the 8 point roll, however I still think its a little nose heavy, I have her balanced a little further back then the recommended rates as I've been flying for quite a while and love the snappy feeling, but maybe the weight should be shifted back a little more yet.

Jrf I have the 78" wingspan version, someone else built half the wing before giving me the plane, so I just went with what they did, I purposly left off the wing tips to shorten the length, but my mono-cote is looking good on the wing for the moment so I will leave it for now, so I'll have to deal with the extra 6 inches.

Paladin, My rudder is set the same way, on all my planes I use the maximum throw I can get, not that I need it all the time but I like knowing if there is something I can do I want to know I can do everything possible for any situation, I do need to flare and I do come a long way low to the ground waiting for her to slow down, I always like to get my planes on our runway using power to bring it in and not wait for a slowing drop,, it really makes a lot of difference on the landing gear, I can set every one of my planes down like a harrier, except the US,, lol, I've only had about 5 maybe 6 flights with her so far though, and until my last flight the Motor has always stalled out in the sky, and I had to bring her in deadstick all the time, for 2 of the flights the motor stuck on high speed, (the throttle arm kept getting stuck in the wide open position) so I had to wait to run out of fuel to get her in, so I'm sure its just a matter of getting the feel down, which I will, I love the way this plane flys and she looks fantastic in the sky, I think I'm going to go with the stock landing gear though, but first I promised someone on this thread a slow flyby with the retracts up so I will get that done first, its funny when the retracts were working the 1st couple of flights is when the dang throttle stuck so all I could get was lightning fly bys, now the motor is working great so I need to fix those retracts one last time. Or have our club pave our runway, I think they are going to tell me to put on the other gear instead of spend our no money fund..

Thanks again Guys, I will try all the ideas, and get a nice clip of the beautiful landings this bird has in her,, Truly a remarkable plane.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:47 AM
rasmus

Waldo.
I have retracts in my Ultrasport 60, and choose to go with som strong Robart air retracts with spring return. I wanted these heavy duty retracts to prevent bending of the struts, witch in turn will prevent the wheels to enter the wheel well. There is no problem with bending of the struts now, but the gear is so stiff that I am afraid that a rough or hard landing will tear the entire gear right out of the wing. It will not flex at all. The struts are 5mm music wire. I am wondering if I should downsize the struts to 4 mm, and somehow put a sleeve on the portion of the strut that enters the retract body so I can fasten the struts to the retracts? Does any one have any experience with this? Would it be possible to silver solder a sleeve on to the strut just to increase the diameter?

Rasmus

P.S Paladin, thank you for your inputs and ideas on the canopy [8D]
Old 06-06-2007, 10:44 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rasmus, You can put the 4 to 5 mm spacer in but you do not need to solder it in place. Make the spacer and put a hole in it for the set screw to pass through it and bit into the smaller strut. The spacer optimally should be made of steal but aluminum would be a close second. Brass would be my last choice because it is prone to fatigue cracking even if supported , if it is all you can get, plan to inspect it every fifty landings. The thing to avoid is a peace of spacer cracking from fatigue and working its way out. The missing peace will allow the strut to move causing damage to the remaining spacer and then the mechanism socket. My point being you can use anything just keep an eye on it for a while to make sure it will hold up.

I personally use aluminum from K&S to do this with no problems. Soldering would be difficult at best, and make replacement much more difficult than it need be.

Joe
Old 06-07-2007, 03:36 PM
rasmus

ThankĀ“s alot for your thoughts on this Paladin.

Rasmus
Old 06-13-2007, 07:53 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Hey Fellas, Here is some more Video of the US 1000, I had to break it up a bit, because the You tube site for some reason only takes 1 clip of say 5 if I spice them together, so all the clips are about 25 seconds to 1 minute each, I tried to cut the clips down and only use the parts where the plane was close to the camera so we didn't have to watch a dot in the sky at times, I'm still trying to master transferring from a MOV file to an AVI file without losing the quality of the picture. This link is to my youtube site, and the US 1000 take off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3nBIw9ZJDg
Old 06-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Well RyanO it took a while,, but here is the slow Flyby with the retracts up. Now maybe I can get some sleep,, LOL,, http://youtube.com/watch?v=I4tO8HBNzzg

Better Videos are coming
Old 06-21-2007, 08:57 PM
RhyanO

Waldo,
That plane just looks fantastic!
And with the retracts up, and the sound of a slow fly-by....... I like it!

Thanks for the video,
Ryan
Old 06-21-2007, 09:11 PM
firebrad
My Feedback: (1)

Has there been any updates on the re-release of this terrific model?
Old 06-22-2007, 02:10 AM
WD4JKH
My Feedback: (8)

Done deal.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJ583&P=SM]ULTRA SPORT 40 KIT[/link]

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJ584&P=SM]ULTRA SPORT 60 KIT[/link]

Old 06-22-2007, 02:31 AM
firebrad

Sweet!

Thank you!!
Old 07-04-2007, 06:22 AM
n2ryd

Hi All,

I have a big problem with my US1000. I was a gift from a friend, He build the plane so it 2mx2m for patern flying. I have a Siato 150 for power and every flight it a lot of work. It wants to snap every time I make a turn(Left and Right), when I roll the plane inverted I almost need 3D elevator throws to keep it from sinking. Were is the cg? Any thought and how to make it fly better or is this the way it should fly? Any help would be great.

Bob
Old 07-04-2007, 10:12 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like the CG may be way off. According to the Great Planes website, the CG should be at 5 1/4" behind the leading edge of the wing, measured at the side of the fuselage. Check that before you do anything else.

Jim
Old 07-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Bernard

I had one of the guys maiden my Ultra Sport today. I am still not 100% confident after the cateract operation. 2 clicks of aileron and a click of rudder and it was hands off. Sure likes to climb at full throttle. She basically brought herself into the air at full throttle. The OS 55 really gives it great verticle and the retracts really do make a difference. She sure looks good doing a low pass with the retracts up. I need to upgrade the rods so they are a bit stiffer and I need to make sure the wheels are a bit straighter. Other than that she flys like a dream. Can't wait for this winter for the 60 kit to get started.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:10 AM
Waldopepperaxel

N2yrd, I agree with Jrf, Check the balance 1st, I have mine around 5.5 now and she flys awesome,

The only other thing I can think of is maybe a control rod is hanging up somewhere, (Acting sluggish) On my US 40 I had a problem with the dual elevator rods sliding back and forth with ease, because 1 servo was pushing 2 rods, and they didn't like the tight bend at the end too much, which may have led to the failure of controlling the up and down motion, causing me to smash the plane in, and even in the US 1000 there is a lot of rod there to be pushing, what servos are you using?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Jculver67037

I Have recently bought a ultasport 40 arf this beauty fly grat nice and smooth and fast with a os four stroke. I have one problem the fixed landing gear has a 1w * 2l inch block that epoxy to a 2 inch squared piece of plywood and every time I land the gear buckels under and comes off the plywood piece.The landing is smooth and easy no bounce and they still come off is there a way to fix it
Old 07-19-2007, 03:56 PM
paladin

Put screws through the ply into the wood block.

use #4 sheet metal screws

Joe
Old 07-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Jculver67037

thanks i will try it
Old 07-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Sorry I was no help on that one, I did the retract thing, so I'll have to look at the plan sheet again to refresh my memory, I have been waiting for some time to come along so I can rebuild my 40 size, but at least I have the 1000 to fly for now. I'll be posting some more US1000 movies soon, I'm lovin that bird...
Old 07-20-2007, 04:15 PM
paladin

Now that the 60 and 40 are offered again what are some of the changes you guysmade in yours?

In my case I left the bottom rear fuse decking off. Used Ā¼ balsa to make the sides of the decking under the wing, to replace those balsa chunks they gave me. Leaving the bottom under the wing open also. Put blocks around the wing mounting screws for the only place there was solid balsa.

Joe
Old 07-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Here I thought I would throw a new US 1000 Flight Movie link in here, I have the landing somewhere too but I may have left it home I'll re post the landing when I get it on the site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBmht4UJvtY
Old 07-27-2007, 09:05 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice pictures of the sky. Tell your videographer that there's a button on the camera called a ZOOM

But what little of the plane I DID see was great!

What engine?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Waldopepperaxel

LOL The videographer has no choice, the video was taken from a Kodak picture camera with a video record option, you can set the zoom before you start, but once you start filming you can't zoom in or out, you would think it would be a standard feature for any recording device. you get what you pay for I guess, I've been trying to get my brother to come out to the field and film for us as he has professional recording cameras, but we fly from about 7:30am to about noon he usually gets up around 5pm and goes to bed when were getting to the field... were working on it though, LOL.

Engine is a G2300 Super Tigre
Old 08-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Here Is a Video of the US 1000 coming in for a belly landing in the soft High grass, one of my retracts fell out during the flight so I put the other one back up and shut down the motor.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sGvQBvgAyWo
Old 08-03-2007, 11:04 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fell out???
Old 08-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Yeah the hex screw must have loosened up in the plastic holder and the whole steel rod with the wheel attached wasn't there when I put the retracts down, it was quite surprising to see, at first I thought one of the retracts was just hung up inside the wheel well, but after a few slow overhead fly bys we could tell it was gone.

Hence,,, disadvantage of retracts with very bumpy grass runway..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.