Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

SHRIKE CLUB # 1

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

SHRIKE CLUB # 1

Old 01-26-2006, 06:57 PM
tccrab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SHRIKE CLUB # 1

Well, engine size decided. Stopped by the HobbyShop and picked up a OSMax LA 46 (the pretty blue one).
It will be MORE than enough for unlimited vertical and plenty left over.
I've picked up spruce to do the wing spars with, and I'm slowly figuring out how to add the landing gear and make
the tail wheel functional without the 4th servo. Is it possible to somehow link the ailerons with the nose wheel?

I'm about 3/4 of the way to finishing the fuse, and I'll say it again...

THE INSTRUCTIONS SUCK!

OK, now I feel better.

This is only my second kit plane, my first was a Great Planes Spirit 100 3 meter glider. It went together
like a breeze. Great instructions. With pictures too.
I built it with alerons and flaps. I've yet to fly it, but I'm sure it will fly just fine.
It looks great on the garage wall...

'nuff ranting.

Thanks!

TomC
Old 01-26-2006, 07:15 PM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: tccrab

Well, engine size decided. Stopped by the HobbyShop and picked up a OSMax LA 46 (the pretty blue one).
It will be MORE than enough for unlimited vertical and plenty left over.
I've picked up spruce to do the wing spars with, and I'm slowly figuring out how to add the landing gear and make
the tail wheel functional without the 4th servo. Is it possible to somehow link the ailerons with the nose wheel?

I'm about 3/4 of the way to finishing the fuse, and I'll say it again...

THE INSTRUCTIONS SUCK!

OK, now I feel better.

This is only my second kit plane, my first was a Great Planes Spirit 100 3 meter glider. It went together
like a breeze. Great instructions. With pictures too.
I built it with alerons and flaps. I've yet to fly it, but I'm sure it will fly just fine.
It looks great on the garage wall...

'nuff ranting.

Thanks!

TomC
TomC,

The Shrike neither builds nor flys like a second plane. I'm guessing most wouldn't recommend it as a second kit. With that said, it honestly isn't a difficult build. Don't let the minimalist instructions leave you feeling lost. Take a good look at the plans and it is pretty easy to see how it goes together. For me the shrike was my third kit build and I found it very enjoyable. If you get stuck its simple - get on here and ask a question. We are all here to help!
Old 01-26-2006, 08:23 PM
RC-Captain

It was my second kit but I think you are building the .40 size so it may be a tad bit different. I also have experience with fixing many crashed planes one in particular five times. Why did you opt out for the LA series ? although it's a nice engine the .46FX would have been more pleasing. GL all the way around. I am going to start a MACH RACER club too . I think it will have the SHRIKE beat from the starting line.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:59 PM
tccrab

Appreciate the reply.
I decided on the LA because it was cheaper and because I had already had the engine mount that fit the LA 40/46 series. I too like the 46FX but they're twice the price.

Just so's it's clear, my Shrike and my Spirit 'aint the only planes in my hanger. They are, however, the first two that I've built from kits.
That being said, I ain't no "wet behind the ears, pimply faced, panty waist teenie without a clue".
I'm a mean old, rotten, dispicable, dirty minded, filthy mounthed, 46 year old child, who picked up the hobby about 2 years ago.

My first plane was a SIG LT40 ARF with a 46FX (surising, eh?). Outgrew it fairly quickly, moved up to a Goldberg Tiger 2 ARF with a ThunderTiger 46. When that got too small, I went to a 60 size Goldberg Tiger 2 ARF with an Enya 120 four stroke. Whoo HOO! What a plane!
Of all my planes, it's actually the easiest to fly, and the most capable.
I just felt the need for speed, and wanted something different.
The Shrike seemed to fit the bill. Looks pretty cool, too.
My dad now flies the LT40, he says the Tiger2 is too fast and that it requires too much attention to keep in the sky. He'd rather putt around the airfield and do an occasional loop. As long as he's happy, I'm happy.

Me, on the other hand..... Love the speed. Gotta have the SPEED!!!!

Thanks for all the tips and the advice.

Still, gotta say...

The instructions for the Shrike...... SUCK!!!!

TomC

Old 01-27-2006, 12:56 AM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

Mine is the Shrike .10 and I went with the .40 LA because I had it on hand. I bought it brand new off ebay for under 40 bucks. The .46 LA would be even better - a little more power and slightly lighter than the .40. There aren't many planes you can put an LA on and end up with something that is fast. I can't wait to try mine out. Should be some good cheap fun!
Old 01-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

I'm a mean old, rotten, dispicable, dirty minded, filthy mounthed, 46 year old child, who picked up the hobby about 2 years ago.

TomC

Help yourself to a cold one and pull up a chair.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:49 PM
MikeMc

Here's mine just before completed. OS15FP. Sadly it was stolen, but I might make another one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31595.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	403275  
Old 02-06-2006, 07:08 PM
RC-Captain

Very nice . Looks like you have allot of patience. May I ask , did you shape your control surfaces or did you cheat and buy them already shaped ?

GL on maiden, if you didn't fly it yet and welcome to the club.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:09 PM
MikeMc

Shaped. Don't know if anybody has done stuff like this but here's the spar mod I did. Basicly added a top/bottom spar to go all the way through the fuse. Well half way and then the ends sandwiched between a couple pieces of thin ply. Then I extended the sheeting to cover the new spars.

Name:	Hf97835.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	403357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33680.jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	403358  
Old 02-24-2006, 04:29 PM
tccrab

Well guys, wish me luck.
I've finished the build and weather permitting tomorrow will be her maiden flight.
I've taken some pics and I'll post them later.

The build went OK, and after all was said and done it didn't turn out half bad.
I took the liberty of adding landing gear with a steerable nose wheel which is
articulated by the aileron servo.
I'm not real happy with the ailerons, I chose the one servo in the fuse option when I
built it and I'm beginning to think I may opt for the two servos in the wing option.
They seem a little sloppy, not as firm/crisp as I would like.

Wish me luck!
And don't worry, I won't be her first pilot, I've already asked one of the instructors
at our flying club to perform the maiden. You can betcher ass that I'll be on
the buddy box though, can't wait to see how she flies.

TomC
Old 02-24-2006, 04:42 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Good luck Tom. Let us know how it goes!!

Ken
Old 02-24-2006, 06:12 PM
RC-Captain

I hope you make it past 4 flights as I didn't . Stay away from low high speed turns as I learned the elevator can't handle the maneuver. Keep us posted and good job with adding wheels , when some of my bills clear I will buy the ARF version with wheels. For now the MACH RACER is taking the place of my shrike.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:50 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I'm not real happy with the ailerons, I chose the one servo in the fuse option when I
built it and I'm beginning to think I may opt for the two servos in the wing option.
They seem a little sloppy, not as firm/crisp as I would like.
Tom, this is something you should deal with. On a high speed plane, slop can lead to flutter, which could end up tearing the ailerons apart. Check the aileron linkages for slop and make the necessary changes before you fly.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:06 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

Tom, this is something you should deal with. On a high speed plane, slop can lead to flutter, which could end up tearing the ailerons apart. Check the aileron linkages for slop and make the necessary changes before you fly.
I lost my first Shrike to flutter. Was on a high speed run across the runway when it started. From the first we heard to the flutter it took all of about 4-5 seconds before the plane was completely destroyed in flight. Nothing but pieces hitting the ground.

Ken
Old 02-24-2006, 10:59 PM
tccrab

Pics as promised. With and without covering.

TomC

Name:	Us54064.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	415024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33159.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	415025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19095.jpg
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	415026  
Old 02-27-2006, 07:09 PM
tccrab

[quote]ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

I've taken your advice and rather than fly it with sloppy ailerons, I went down to the LHS and blew another $40 on two aileron servos. I then cut holes in the wing and installed the aileron servos.
What an improvement!
I've set up dual rates on the ailerons with about two inches of movement and proportional of 20% on the low rate setting, which should make the maiden a lot easier until her flying personality is known. The high rate setting gives nearly 90 degrees movement up and down, I'd imagine that she'd be pretty hard to control with that much throw.
I've left the elevator alone, I've read that the Shrike requires a lot of elevator to get it back on the ground at low speed.
I've programmed in flaperons for experimentation on landings. Depends on how hot she approaches the landings, if it comes in too hot I'll play with 10 to 20% flaps with a little up elevator to keep the nose up. Anybody here played with flaperon landings?
Too bad the weather has turned nasty, otherwise I'd be at the airfield during my lunchbreak. We're getting wind gusts to 50mph and expecting 4 to 5 inches of rain in the next few days, doesn't sound like great flying weather. *sigh*

Thanks for all the advice, can't wait for good weather!

TomC
Old 03-05-2006, 11:30 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

Hey all, I lost interest in flying for awhile. Now amped again! October was the last time. I just finished on the frame work and will start covering this week. With all (I hope) the parts on the scale, it's at 26 oz without covering. I hope to keep it under 2 lbs. Using LA15 and 270 mah Nicd. Will start with APC 8x4 then try a 7x6. How did the recommended balance point work out?
Thanks, MikeB
PS Shrike 10-15
Old 03-05-2006, 11:52 PM
RC-Captain

Mine was nose heavy but flew like a bat out of hell even with the .15 AP enigne on the nose.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:47 AM
Sir Crab

HI All,
I finished my Shrike .10 a few weeks ago then found the club, Cold ones for all [8D]
I added tricicle gear to it, Strengthened and sheeted the wings, remade the stabs and added a longer stronger elevator.

Its powered by an O.S 25.
The longer hard-wood elevator stands up to the stress of high speed turns but i try to be careful of overdoing it. It added a little tail weight but it countered the weight from the gear and larger fuel tank (6.oz).

I made a hatch with the front part of the fuse that screws and latches into the canopy hatch for any fuel/front wheel issues, i don't like it when something inside is un accessible,

Im unsure of its elevator authority with the stock one but changing it to a peice of 3" hardwood whips it around nicely (i didnt want to trust a longer balsa elevator at high speeds).

The stabs are larger than the stock ones and "jagged" to look like the elevators of an F=15.

And its coated in Safety orange and safety yellow ultracote in an odd "paint splatter" design on top and a "running paint" design on the bottom but it looks more like a funny flame job

I wish i found the club while building it as id have had some great tips from all of you, but after all the debates in my head strengthening the frame was a much better desicion.

Hope to see a spead freak next time i get to the feild (Chatfield reservior, Co).
Till then ill keep ripping up the back feild.

Name:	Lj22632.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	421144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68539.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	421145  
Old 03-06-2006, 05:58 AM
RC-Captain

WELCOME to the club Sir Crab. Your shrike looks great. I was just wondering , is your nose gear stearable ? if yes what size tank did you use ? over all good job.

PS have you tried a MACH RACER lately ?
Old 03-06-2006, 07:31 AM
Sir Crab

HI RC-FIEND

Yes, The nose Gear steers with its own mini servo (not sub-micro) and it turns sharply as long as you arent taxi-ing too fast.
The tank is a du-Bro 6 oz, the 4.oz tank design wouldnt allow for my modifications as it was a longer tank. the throttle and nose gear rods float just barely over the tank with foam installed.

I havent had a chance to try a mach racer, but im interested.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:36 AM
Sir Crab

Its Insides, the fuel lines had to swerve a little but it doesnt effect anything.

Name:	By76509.jpg
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	421196  
Old 03-07-2006, 12:22 AM
tccrab

[]
Had a window of opportunity on Saturday, so out to the flying field I went for my Shrike's maiden flight.
I tuned her up, got the motor nice and warm, then out to the runway.
Sadly, our runway is in pretty bad shape, we've had a lot of really nasty weather, and there's some nice deep ruts and divots.
Anyway, about 3/4 the way down the runway she hits a rut and the front gear twists to the left, stripping the screw that holds the steering arm to the nose gear assembly.
Before you can say Boo, she turns left and into the wire fence protecting the pit area.
Sigh.
Anyway, out to the fence I go to see if there's anything left.
Left wing damaged, left aileron torn off, and left tail severed.
Dang.
Luckily, damage is fairly minor and easily repaired.
All I have left to do is re-apply the monokote and I'll be back at the field.
Very disappointing, but could have been worse.
Might have been controlable if I'd had put on rudders but once at a good clip the nosewheel basically becomes useless. Of course, if I had gotten her into the air, landing with the nosewheel pointing left would have been a major problem. Maybe even fatal.

Can't wait to see her in the air.

TomC
Old 03-07-2006, 06:48 AM
RC-Captain

Sorry to here about your misfortune . If it makes you feel better I wrecked my MACH RACER SATURDAY due to a dead stick. It was my fault didn't to nose up and down test. I was russhing to get a flight in before my job callled me out for a stand by call. Well I have another on the way thanks to all of the over time I put in being on standby so far.

Any way, may I give you a sugestion ? toss the shruike into the air for the first flight. I feell you willl make out better the next time , GL. Remember there is a throttle, use it carefully.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:24 AM
Sir Crab

Total bummer to have that happen on a maiden, but it's great that the damage was minor.
Best of wishes on your next Flight. RC-FIEND's toss suggestion is great.

Poor Mach Racer, sorry to hear about that too RC-FIEND

my first F-15 was on her maiden about 2 minutes in and it got interference, She was sent in a straight line into the ground from whatever hight she was able to get to and nothing i did on the tx mattered, the motor and servo equip survived but in a well beat up condition.

yesterday i was too tired to work on the biplane im scratch building, instead of plugging the 9.6v battery from my blade into the speed controll i saved for, i plugged it straight into the mini reciever and melted it and the servo i had hooked to it [:@].
like checking the G.C thats something that you never allow to happen again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.