Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Re-Starting the hobby

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Re-Starting the hobby

Old 01-04-2006, 07:53 PM
flhyr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-Starting the hobby

Hey everyone, I've been lurking around this forum for a while now and need some advice.

I've been away from flying for about 10 years due to college and work, but recently decided that I would like to get back into it. I still have all my gear: Futaba 5uaf (2), US40 with gobs of hours on it along with the trusty 46 SF ABC, and a whole bunch of other planes and engines.

I'm already planning on sending the radio in to futaba for a "re-tuning", and buying new Tx/Rx nicads, and new servos.

The thing is, do you think I'ld be ok flying the Ultra Sport after being out of it for so long, or should I find a plane thats more of a trainer.

Thanks in advance,

Flhyr
Old 01-04-2006, 08:01 PM
delman

Default RE: Re-Starting the hobby

Have someone put you up on a buddy box to see how rusty you are or get a stick / ultrastick style plane to get your thumbs up to speed.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:02 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

The answer depends on what skills you had when you decided to take a break. My personal experience is that flying came back to me pretty quickly after somewhere around 17 years off. Once you've got your radio back, get with an instructor. Have him check out the plane, take off for you and get it to a safe altitude. You can do this with or without a buddy box, your preference. It took me 3 trips to the field to get "signed off", but that was only because I was having engine troubles and the deadsticks prevented me from getting in the required 3 landings from each direction. On the third trip there the instructor said take off and don't play around in the air, get the required stuff done.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:04 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Oh, the plane I used was one of my old ones, and it was not a trainer. I would have been quickly bored if I had bought a trainer.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:13 PM
flhyr

Good advice!

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2006, 10:14 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Get a sim. Everybody uses them. They are great for rainy days . And they make you sharper than if you just flew on weekends.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:33 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd also recommend the sim, you can grow with it, and try out other types of flying that weren't around when you flew before. (specifically electrics)

I don't think I would waste money on getting a dedicated trainer, I was in your same situation October of 04, I had been away for 6 years and bought a trainer and took it out by myself and flew it about 6 times. Then I realized all I probably really needed was maybe some sim time, and MAYBE somebody on a buddy box for a couple flights.

I would buy a new raido, computer raidos are very cheap now for a 6 or 7 channel model and it would be a good investment. By the time you had it re-tuned and all new batteries you would probably be at half the price of a computer radio.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:40 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you live in an area where you can fly in the winter, AND you were flying an Ultra Sport (Excellent plane BTW) I would skip the Sim.

Pick up a cheap Duraplane that you can bash around, and... bash it around [sm=surprised.gif]

You'll be back in shape sooner than you think!
Old 05-09-2006, 09:12 PM
SoonerAce
My Feedback: (1)

How is it going?
Old 05-16-2006, 12:28 PM
flhyr

well, I re-joined the AMA, and now have re-covered my US 40, bought a new radio because I thought it would be nice to have exponential (6EXAS) and now have to join the club, but man,, this is getting expensive, the club wants $200 for initiation and dues, (which I think is excessive but unfortunately seems to be the norm now) and now I can't get my old OS running for very long... still trying to figure that one out... probably need new o-rings on the needle valve and carb and some fresher fuel.

I did buy a real flight simulator,,, good thing. I think that will help immensely when I finally get out to the field. Can't wait!
Old 05-16-2006, 12:37 PM
delman

Depending on where you are located in texas there are probably less expensive clubs around.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:05 PM
flhyr

Yeah, I'm in the North Dallas/plano/frisco/lewisville area, and I have found more than a couple clubs, problem is trying to get ahold them for current info.... the web sites either don't exist, or haven't been updated in literally years, or won't respond to emails. But the clubs that I've found have really first class facilities like power at the pavilion/pitts, drink machine, insanely long and wide runway,,, all 30 minutes away from the house.... now if they could just install air conditioning it'd be perfect!

I noticed your in flower mound, mind If I ask what club you belong to?
Old 05-17-2006, 08:44 AM
delman

I belong to the 114th RC Aerosquadron in Grapevine and the Falcons of Lake Dallas - both are grass fields without all those amenities. There is also the North Texas Aeromodelers in Denton who also have a grass field.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:15 PM
flhyr

Hey Delman, Can you tell me where the field is for the falcons of lake dallas? I've been through their web site and must have just missed it, and I sent an email to them through the site asking where it was, but never got a response. I also could not find any membership info...

Thanks,
Old 05-18-2006, 06:35 PM
delman

flhyr - sent you a PM with phone number