Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

pics of your favorite "throw around" plane

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

pics of your favorite "throw around" plane

Old 10-29-2006, 12:49 AM
parrthd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pics of your favorite "throw around" plane

come on now, i know EVERYONE has a favorite "throw around" plane that they don't have a lot of money in, wouldn't be TOO upset if it "goes in," tries new stuff with, etc. etc. etc.

i've had this plane around 6 months. the airframe was gave to me after the previous owner dinged the wingtip on landing. the fuse has been broke in half 3 or 4 times, horizontal stab now has a peice of steel rod through it to hold it together, fuse has been completely sheeted due to wreckage, wing alignment dowels replaced due to vibration, uhhhhhhhhh i think that's all. i'm only responsible for the wing dowels and steel rod through hor. stab, everything else was done before i got the plane. i traded an older airframe i probably never would have used anyway for the supertigre 90 that's on this plane and everything else i had laying around the shop extra. soooooooooo..........here's my "frankenstein" a horizon hobby ultra stick lite .60 that's had MAJOR work done and it's still flies as good as any stick...........

i love sticks............simple design, easy repair, flies great in virtually any weather, need i go on?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70715.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	550257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71490.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	550258  
Old 10-29-2006, 08:52 AM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Default RE: pics of your favorite "throw around" plane

No question about it..........The Long John 60, designed by myself in the 70's. You can see one pictured on the "Brillelli" engines Web Site. Bob
Old 10-29-2006, 08:56 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This was my favorite "throw around" plane. It's the Balsa USA Thunderbug 40. I had somewhere around 400 flights on it and I completely loved this plane. Yes, I am speaking in the past tense. This plane died early this flying season when it had a mid-air collision with a heli. At least this plane went out in a specatular crash (this crash quickly became folk lore at our flying field). There were pieces and parts of this plane and the heli scattered from one end of the flying field to the other.

I still don't have another throw around favorite yet. I may build a new Thunderbug this winter to replace this one.

Ken

Name:	Ig11658.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	550345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96489.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	550346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96351.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	550347  
Old 10-29-2006, 08:58 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: Bob Laine

No question about it..........The Long John 60, designed by myself in the 70's. You can see one pictured on the "Brillelli" engines Web Site. Bob
Bob,
If you designed the Long John then you deserve a well earned pat on the back. This is one outstanding plane!! Every now and then we all realize that we make huge mistakes when we sell a plane, and then regret it for the rest of our flying career. Mine was a Long John 40 that I sold about 8 years ago. I wish all the time that I had that plane back.

Are you still producing the Long John kits????

Ken
Old 10-29-2006, 09:14 AM
Bob Laine

Hi Ken, Thanks for the accolades. I have never produced the kit myself, I've allowed several company's to do so. "Curtis Model Aircraft," in Texas kitted it for several years, "Texas Twins," kitted it until they went out of business. Now "Bob Shapiro" in Florida kit's it. "Bubba Spivy," (Lanier) has wanted to kit it as an ARF for years, but I've just not got around to getting him the plans. Truth is...........all all you really need to build A long John is a single line........62 inches long. I have completely framed the long john up in 30 minutes. Just finished building one for my brother in Hartwell, GA out of Luann door skins. (Everything) 96" ES, 92" long, 24" chord. Total weight is 24.2 lb, less fuel. Power is a "Walker Sachs, 4.2 UN.....LIMITED. If Your interested, I have plans available for the 60 size Long John, (any size can be built from them. Bob Laine
Old 10-29-2006, 09:38 AM
parrthd

bob,

which pic are you talking about??? the red or the american flag scheme?
Old 10-29-2006, 09:47 AM
Bob Laine

Parrthd......I'm really not sure. I only seen one when I visited the site a few weeks back. Someone told me that it was also on BCME's site. Bob
Old 10-29-2006, 02:16 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Hi Ken, Thanks for the accolades. I have never produced the kit myself, I've allowed several company's to do so. "Curtis Model Aircraft," in Texas kitted it for several years, "Texas Twins," kitted it until they went out of business. Now "Bob Shapiro" in Florida kit's it. "Bubba Spivy," (Lanier) has wanted to kit it as an ARF for years, but I've just not got around to getting him the plans. Truth is...........all all you really need to build A long John is a single line........62 inches long. I have completely framed the long john up in 30 minutes. Just finished building one for my brother in Hartwell, GA out of Luann door skins. (Everything) 96" ES, 92" long, 24" chord. Total weight is 24.2 lb, less fuel. Power is a "Walker Sachs, 4.2 UN.....LIMITED. If Your interested, I have plans available for the 60 size Long John, (any size can be built from them. Bob Laine
Definitely interested. How much to you charge for the plans???

Ken
Old 10-29-2006, 04:19 PM
Bob Laine

I'll send them to you for whatever the cost to have a set printed at "Kinkos, plus whatever the postage is. Give me a couple day's and I'll get back with you. Send me an email so I'll have your email address. Let me know what size you want. I suggest the 60 size. It is very versatile because I have flown it with a 40 size engine and only lost very little power. Bob
Old 10-29-2006, 05:10 PM
ChuckW

It's definitely my SSE. I owned an ARF that I literally flew until it fell apart. Now I built a kit version powered by a Super Tigre G-45 with a Macs pipe. The engine runs excellent and the plane makes me look like a much better pilot than I probably am. It will do almost any wild maneuver that I can come up. When it comes time to land, it's nice and tame. If something happens and I crash this one, a new kit is cheap and easy to build.

Name:	Yw66551.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	550645  
Old 10-29-2006, 07:22 PM
daveopam

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

This is my 10 year old Gloldberg Ult. I can throw it in and go any time no matter the wind or temp. It's powered by a cheap St 90 with a stock muffler with standard servo on the wing with 50oz servos for the tail. Best part is a never take it apart. So it is a throw in and go plane.

David

Name:	Qo39510.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	550744  
Old 10-29-2006, 07:28 PM
150flyer

Here's mine. Out of all my planes, including some pretty high performance aerobatic aircraft, this is the one I always enjoy taking to the field to throw around. It's great for touch and goes, flat spins and rolling circles. It's not so good at knife edge. It is equipped with an OS .46 AX and Slimline Pitts Style Muffler, Hitec 645MG Servos and a super durable fiber fill landing gear for unimproved fields.

Name:	Xu62569.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	550753  
Old 10-29-2006, 08:30 PM
parrthd

great pics everyone, i had mine out today for 4 flights after minor repairs last night. still flies great as always!!!

keep the pics coming.

looking at the SSE i might have found a replacement for my 4*60 that went in two weeks ago. really hated to see that, it was my first kit.....[] oh well, on to other things!
Old 10-29-2006, 08:57 PM
waross

It's a Super Doubler scratch built from plans in an 1989 Model Airplane Magazine. This is the second one I built. Althought the first never was crashed I decided why not rebuild it after 15 years and make it lighter abd clip the wing. Saito FA-45 powers the little pup and does just fine. It's a great lazy day flier.

Name:	Db85757.jpg
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	550813  
Old 10-30-2006, 09:30 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I'll send them to you for whatever the cost to have a set printed at "Kinkos, plus whatever the postage is. Give me a couple day's and I'll get back with you. Send me an email so I'll have your email address. Let me know what size you want. I suggest the 60 size. It is very versatile because I have flown it with a 40 size engine and only lost very little power. Bob
[email protected]

THanks in advance. I'd love to have another Long John. Like I said, I still regret selling the one that I had.

Ken
Old 10-30-2006, 02:21 PM
parrthd

waross

that's a great looking plane, tell me a bit about the cowl? is it off something else? built up balsa? i can't exactly tell.

rcken

haven't heard of a long john........the way you rave about them i might have to kit one myself.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Charlie P.

Currently the plane I take everytime I go is an S/K 50 from Kangke (ARF). I have a Super Tigre .51 in it currently, it's third engine. Two summers and two winters (I fly on skis through the winter) of hard use. Personally, I tend to baby kits with the sweat equity in them, but this I can replace easily and likely would rapidly if harm should befall her. Just a sweet flyin "no worries" sport plane. The Oracoat covering is holding up very well, also.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Bob Laine

RCKen......I'll have the plans tomorrow I I believe. I'm just having 20 set's made it's cheaper for me. When you get your Long John plans, if there's anything you don't understand, let me know. Bob Laine
Old 10-30-2006, 05:02 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

RCKen......I'll have the plans tomorrow I I believe. I'm just having 20 set's made it's cheaper for me. When you get your Long John plans, if there's anything you don't understand, let me know. Bob Laine
Bob,
Cool!!!! I can't wait!!!

Ken
Old 10-30-2006, 08:12 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

No doubt about it. The Simple Plastic Low Wing Aerobatic Trainer (SPLAT). My own design, TT GP 61 on the nose with a 13X4 APC prop.

Brad

Name:	Ec87158.jpg
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	551508  
Old 10-30-2006, 10:55 PM
halflight
My Feedback: (5)

My scratch built Fire Arrow.

Name:	Om32074.jpg
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	551601  
Old 10-31-2006, 12:23 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Untill her untimely demise this summer, this was my favourite "throw around" plane;

Name:	Nl30740.jpg
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	551915  
Old 10-31-2006, 12:47 PM
parrthd

ah yes the "mustang" it's one of my favorite flyers as well. can't say that it's a "throw around" plane though.....not that it even does a lot of aerobatics, it just flies like nothing else.

Name:	Sp45463.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	551919  
Old 10-31-2006, 12:53 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Actually the Great planes Mustang, although not accurate scale, is a surprisingly capable aircraft.

But I read "throw around" as an everyday flyer for those quick fixes at the field and the occaional funfly.

For your interpretation of "throw around" (i.e. aerobatics) I fly my Morris 'special' or my Ultimate or Pitts, depending on the type of throwing I'm in the mood for.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:29 PM
GrantK
My Feedback: (15)

This is my beater. The DuraPlane Trainer 20. I fly it on a .40LA and converted it the tri-gear and Ailerons. I just finished (or almost) installing two bomb drops on the wings and a dropable cargo pod underneath. Its compact enough it fit in the car with the wing attached and I can do (or try) any maneuver I want with out fear. Some planes claim to be indestructible but this plane can honestly say that it has achieved near immortality. Has already survived a split-S into the ground and many hard landings that would have torn the firewall out of most other tri-gear planes.

Name:	Sq46067.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	553472  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.