Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 What is a good beginners Sport plane? >

What is a good beginners Sport plane?

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

What is a good beginners Sport plane?

Old 01-27-2007, 09:43 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a good beginners Sport plane?

Really the topic says it all, but what is exactly considered a "Sport" airplane?
Old 01-28-2007, 04:41 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: What is a good beginners Sport plane?

A "sport" plane describes most any model aircraft that was designed as a model aircraft, and not a minature version of "real" or full scale aircraft. They're simply designed to be fun to fly, and aren't usually encumbered with features for enhancing their style points.

Trainers are actually sport planes, at least by this general definition. Most pilots regard sport planes as the planes you graduate to after you finish soloing on your primary trainer and you want to start learning aerobatics.

A good beginner's Sport plane? I chose the Thunder Tiger Tiger Stick .40 ARF as my first sport plane:

It was wonderfully easy to build. It's ruggedly constructed. It lands as easily as my trainer did. It can fly a wide array of aerobatic manuevers.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:49 PM
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

world models skyraider machII, build in 1 night,cheap,it will do anything, put a 46 on it , its a blast.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's as much attitude as airframe. I know lots of pilots who "retire" their otherwise specialized models to the sport category. Quickie 500s that are just flown for fun or converted to float planes. Pattern ships that have been obsoleted by other builds/purchases. Scale models that are past their prime. Pretty much anything you fly for no other reason than the pure joy of flight is a "sport plane". When you set out to find a new sport plane it could generally be said, as above, to be a plane that is a flying version of not really anything full scale or designed to compete at any level against other planes or pilots.

But even then you get the Fun Fly events that may lead you to a certain design for an advantage in a particular event. Some pilots build sport planes to test a concept or just to toy with flaps, spoilers, etc.

One of the things I like most about the IMAA is that there are no contests, prizes, rankings or judgements at their sanctioned events. Sure, lots of pilots bring astounding scale models, but it is because they want to for their own reasons. They share the field with the plainest ARF and everything in between. Get together, fly, have fun.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:01 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good replys guys.

So what is a good sport plane? There are hundreds, if not thousands of them, but I think any of the "Stik" airplanes are always at the top of the list.

Have you ever noticed that just about every company has their version of a "Stik" (Or "Stick" )? That's because it is such a good design.

It's one of those planes that everyone should have at least once in their flying career
Old 01-30-2007, 10:20 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for the "Sticks" !! You just can't beat 'em! Every fleet should have at least one.
Ugo
Old 01-30-2007, 01:21 PM
My Feedback: (17)

i really like the tower hobbies uproar, which is the same as great planes dazzler. cheap and flies excelent
Old 01-30-2007, 01:33 PM

Can't beat the sticks, but some people refuse to own them because they aren't very attractive looking. If that's the case, you need something that flies well and is attractive. Here's a really good one:

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HAN4125

Old 01-30-2007, 07:52 PM

ORIGINAL: yellerchamp

world models skyraider machII, build in 1 night,cheap,it will do anything, put a 46 on it , its a blast.

I would have to second this vote. I have two of 'em and I think they are the best plane out there for learning to land taildraggers, plus all the aerobatics. IMHO, they ain't pretty to look at, but the flight characteristics and price completely over shadow that fact. Plus they are durable, and for around 75 bucks, very affordable.
Just my .02
Jason
Old 02-20-2007, 07:48 PM

It's been a few weeks since the last reply, are you still looking? Would you like some more thoughts on the subject or have you made a decision?

When I crashed my trainor, I went to a Spacewalker II, which was a beautiful plane and was easy to handle. But I crashed it all too soon, as well. A 35 year experienced pilot in our club recommended an Easy Sport, because it will do aerobatics smoothly and help you learn control without being difficult to control. I gave it a try and I flew it like a trainor for a long time, and then moved into a lot of aerobatics. It looks a lot like a Tiger Shark, but more color. It's also flyable on G3, if you have the sim. I recommend putting at least a .46 in it.

I have looked at the Dazzler and considered it. Good looking plane, but since I haven't flown it, I can't say how it handles. Doc Austin loves those Pulse XTs, and I will probably get one too, as I already have the Mini Pulse XT EP. It's a great flyer, but may be a little too responsive while you're still new to piloting.

Whatever you get, you'll crash less if you take your time to get used to a new plane and learn new moves with experienced pilots to help you. Don't rush. You can fly your new plane longer.

Good luck....would like to hear what you decided to buy and how you like it after you have flown it.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:46 PM
My Feedback: (2)

The Easy Sport is a wonderful airframe. It's basically an "Ugly Stik" with a bubble canopy on the wing. It has a lot of elevator authority, even at normal rates. I had trouble learning how to fly inverted with it as I would overcontrol the "down elevator" input and put it into an outside loop.

My original suggestion, the Tiger Stick .40 ARF, still stands; the Easy Sport .40 ARF is so similar though that it is certainly worth considering.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:44 AM

Started out with Easy Sport; great plane, then Ugly Stick 40; loved it but so did the tree. Now have a Astro Hog, only flew once before work and life got in the way. Fun to fly when I did fly it, real floater, hope to put some hours on it this year.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:40 AM

A sport plane to me is a plane that flies nice, has no bad habits, will do just about any normal stunt you can think of, recovers well, is not a handful to fly, flys on it's wing not on the motor, and is just fun to fly. A CG Tiger, or any stick, or an 4-star, mid star, the Uproar 60, and so forth.

Some in this posting have referenced the Easy Sport 40. Yeah I guess that is a sport plane but I never really cared for it. Prior to the Easy Sport I had an ACE 4-40. The only changes I made to that plane during construction were to the amount of dihedral. I reduced the recommended 3" of dihedral to 3/4". Man that plane was a sweet flying plane and was not hard at all to build. I wish I would have replaced it with a 4-60 after I dumb thumbed it and destroyed the 4-40 instead of going with the Easy Sport 40.

The Easy Sport 40 is just like it name sounds, easy. Actually it was boring to me. After a few flights I cut the wing, took almost all the dihedral out, installed bigger (wider) alirons, and replaced the 45 engine with an ASP 60. Now the plane can actually fly and has respectable vertical performance but again, to me, it will never be as enjoyable to fly as the 4-40.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:09 PM

I'll agree that the ACE 4-40 is a perfect 'first sport' plane. I just found one on EBAY that I'm building. I built my first one almost 20 yrs ago. They are great for floats, skis, whatever you need. They're also really easy to build needing only basic tools and limited experience. A 40 4stroke is the perfect engine. If you build it light, you can hover in a 10 mph wind. I've taken off with less than a 5 foot roll with a headwind. It's not fast, so you can keep up with it. Can't miss if you can find one
Old 02-24-2007, 09:37 PM

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I've had the pleasure of flying several great sport models such as Goldberg Skylark, Birdy Kaos 40, GP Super Sporter 40, but the GP Big Stick for sheer ease of flying and versatility gets my vote.

Karol
Old 03-16-2007, 09:59 PM
My Feedback: (22)

my vote is for an easy sport and good ole sticks.thought I would never fly on e again but santa showed up with one at xmas .this time I'll try the quad flaps..sadly I decided 20 years ago they were "sharpened telephone poles" however they are very forgiving stable and just a blast to fly.ok its not scale buty who cares..
Old 03-17-2007, 10:58 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look at the new Pacific Aeromodel Knockabout ARF. I love mine.

www.pacaeromodel.com

Jim
Old 04-09-2007, 12:44 AM

There are so many excellent planes available it's hard to choose. The easy sport ias an excellent choice (it was my friend's second plane), There is a great video on the knockabout, and it looks good although I haven't seen or flown one. I love my calmato sport 40, which is fantastically easy to build, wonderful quality, inexpensive, and a good flyer> I also have a Great Planes super sportster, which is a fine airplane and a little more advanced than the easy sport, but is not really difficult to fly. I also own a senior falcon, which I boubht for nostalgic reasons. I took out almost all the dehideral and it flies fine, and is really relaxing to fly. On days when my nerves are calm, I fly a Goldberg Staudaker. The sticks are also a good choice. For a sport plane where I am going to fly it a great deal, I like an upright engine that is easy to get to. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:17 PM
ccs

well im sure your all have had good luck with those planes but your all kinda forgetting a good one in my personal opinion ive been flying for about 7 years now and have crashed my fair share of nice planes but as far as stability in the air and still do some fun areobatic and a good fun sunday fly even in higher wind then trainers is you cant beat the sig rascals i have a rascal 40 and have alot of fun with it and alot of flights its powered by an os 48 4 stroke this plane is an awesome all around flying plane
Old 04-23-2007, 04:54 PM

I like a sport plane to fly calmly but be wild enough not to be boring. I love my profile although i wont consider it a sport plane. I also own a super sportster. Its nice but not quite wild enough. However I saw one ultra stick fly. WOW. I dont generally like stiks especially the red[:'(] but that plane flew so well i almost want to buy one. So there my answer. A stik. Just make it look good.