Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 1 st bipe. >

1 st bipe.

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

1 st bipe.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 st bipe.

I whant to tray my hands on a bipe. any good 1st bipe's I have a O.S 70 4c for it Iv been thanking abut the Phaeton II form Balsa USA
Old 01-29-2007, 04:11 PM

Default RE: 1 st bipe.

A lot of people (including me) go for the Sig Hog Bipe for
their first biplane. Its a great kit and from what Ive heard
a great flyer. I will see for myself in the spring.

Mike Hammer
Old 01-29-2007, 05:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd rate them as similar flying characteristics. The Phaeton II is a bit lighter, but the Hog has more aileron area so it evens out. The Hog bipe is maybe 20% "better" (a subjective analysys based on hardware and design), but costs 30% more. Either is a nice biplane. If someone was handing out kits as door prizes I'd grab the Hog Bipe and not look back.

Personally, I hate plastic cowls (which the Phaeton has) and "remake" any such things in built-up and carved balsa, but the Hog has plastic parts too. I think the Phaeton would build a little quicker. But a model that strikes and holds your fancy will keep your momentum up. A factor not to be discounted. Which one do YOU like?

To my eye, the Hog is a prettier bipe, but the Phaeton is a simple kit and allows a lot of "bashing" if you like doing such things. The Hog is so pretty I wouldn't mess with it other than to replace the plastic as mentioned. Lighter usually flies better, and the Phaeton shaves 1-1/2 to 2 lbs off a similar engined airframe with only 2" smaller wingspan.

I'm building the larger Phaeton 90 right now and am very pleased with the wood. There was almost no hardware, but that's OK as I like selecting my own, anyway.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:47 PM

Have a Hog-Bipe with an OS 70. Fantastic combination with scale-like flying qualities when powered with a 70. Just my 2-cents.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:34 PM

I have a Phaeton II with an OS .61 FX in it and it's about 3 years old now. It's a good bipe for a 1st bipe.
I used the supplied cowl with it and it has worked out OK. No doubt fiberlass would be better but I thought it would be a lot of work and talked myself out of it.
Flying: The airplane is a bit hard to handle on a paved runway but works out well on my home field grass/dirt/gopher hole runway.
I found it worked better to keep the rates on elevator and aileron a bit low at first till I got used to flying it.
It's not hard to build and I think a good choice for a first bipe.

Ron
Old 01-30-2007, 09:51 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would say that it somewhat depends on what you're looking for - Docil flier, or a "Wring it out" type of aerobat.

Also, Kit or ARF?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:52 PM

Any thoughts on the Gee Bee Dreamer as a 1st bipe
Old 01-30-2007, 11:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's a smaller bipe and a nice one, but has been unavailable from Tower since September or so. Not sure what the story is.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:39 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Sig distributes the Gee Bee Tiger Moth kit from their website, but not the Dreamer. I don't know of any other source for the Dreamer kit than Tower Hobbies or its resellers.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Dreamer is a fun airplane but not a good first biplane IMO. Although very cute, its construction is kind of "old school" and usually updated by the builder. Most guys do away with the rubber band on wings in favor of some kind of bolt on configuration. Its a ball to fly if your a good pilot but can be a handfull if your a little green because of its small size. I would suggest a Goldberg or GP Ultimate depending on what size plane you are looking for. Also the Balsa USA Phaeton is really easy to build and flys very well with either a .46 or a .60
Johnny
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68761.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	611062  
Old 03-16-2007, 10:05 PM
My Feedback: (22)

one of my longtime flying buds flies a sig hogbipe with a satio 100.no bad habits just a fun machine.a os 90 would be just a tad tamer but a good combo. dont forget to include the goldberg ultimate .I hope to fly a used aeromaster which was king in its hay day.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:30 PM

you are refering to the os 90 four stroker yes?
Old 05-22-2007, 09:25 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: eyeofra1678

Any thoughts on the Gee Bee Dreamer as a 1st bipe

-----------

I built the Gee Bee Dreamer some years ago and covered it with some Coverite iron-on fabric with a clear coat. Shortly after that I sold it to a friend before finish painting the model. My friend flew it a lot at our club. I did fly it a couple of times.

It tends to come out heavy, as is, so the Coverite iron-on fabric and paint were not a good idea. However, it wasn't so over weight that it hurt it bad. It just upped the landing speed a little.

A Fox .45 large block engine powered the Dreamer. It moved right along, as you can imagine. You had to be on your toes when flying this model. It was a good model, but it was not for a beginner right after their trainer. The model was very responsive and would do a beautiful Lomcevak. That should tell you something about its "stability". It went where you pointed it. Crowd it too much and it would snap, but fly it in normal sweeping turns and loops and it hung in there really well. It was fun to build. Wish I had kept it.

If you have flown a fairly hot low wing model and are comfortable with it, there is no reason to avoid the Dreamer. However, if you want something relaxing to fly, stick with a Phaeton or Astro Bipe.

Ed
Old 05-23-2007, 10:57 AM

My first bipe was a Tecate.
Not advisable. It's like adopting an ADHD Teenager. That thing is an attitude with a propeller. My second was a Pitts. I think it was marketed for 3D, but , like the Sig Somethin' Extra, it turned out to be a better sport model. It ran awesome with an OS FL 70. I could drive it around the yard on the tail wheel. I got to fly a Hog once, and an ultimate. The Hog was more docile and easier to predict.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53168.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	690038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62979.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	690039