Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Pulse XT setup? >

Pulse XT setup?

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Pulse XT setup?

Old 02-04-2007, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulse XT setup?

Hey guys i am buying a Hangar 9 Pulse XT and i am debating on how to set it up. I am thinking either going electric or putting the Saito .82 Golden Knight in it. Which setup would you go with. I like the electric idea cause it is so clean and you don't have to cut the cowling. But a Saito .82 Golden Knight would look AWESOME and sound so sweet. What would you guys do?
Old 02-04-2007, 10:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Pulse XT setup?

Glow. But that's just because electrics don't appeal to me.

A cat should purr.
A lion roar.
A plane should too
The sound adds more.

- Charlie Pearsall, 2007
Old 02-05-2007, 03:21 PM

I'm flyng one with an OS 46AX and it's extremely nice. I'm also setting another one up with an E Flite Power 46 Electric. I'll have to get back with you after I fly it, but I'm hoping it will have more low end grunt and brutal acceleration.

Top speed doesn't consern me because we have tight airspace restrictions and the with the 2 cycle I seem to always be turning the plane around to stay in bounds. I want lots of torque so I can keep the airplane in tight and have the grunt to pull it out of slow speed manuevers.

The batteries are going to be really expensive, so we will have to wait about a month to see how it works.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:15 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I wouldn't waste an 82 on it. It's not a 3D plane so it wouldn't be of much use to it. I was looking into putting my 72 on it and figured it was going to be too tight of a fit for it so I gave up and put a TT 46 on it. Flies great with that.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:17 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I just got the April 2007 issue of Fly RC in the mail today. They actually review the Hangar 9 Pulse XT and they fly it with a Saito .82 Golden Knight and an E-Flight Power 46 electric setup.

You should keep an eye out for the review at your favorite news stand or hobby store.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:09 PM
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: rclement

I wouldn't waste an 82 on it. It's not a 3D plane so it wouldn't be of much use to it. I was looking into putting my 72 on it and figured it was going to be too tight of a fit for it so I gave up and put a TT 46 on it. Flies great with that.
I agree. Mine flies terrifically on a Magnum 46XLS with an APC 12X4. I do believe an 82 four stroke would be a waste on this nice plane, but that's why there are different strokes for different folks!
Old 02-06-2007, 12:29 AM

Why is the .82 considered a waste for this plane when i can use the .82 later on in a warbird later on. It is a great way to break the motor in for a future plane. I don't see why it is such a waste i have seen it mounted in the pulse on the forums here they say it was somewhat of a tight fit but it worked but he didn't say anything about flight characteristics. I just don't see how it is a waste.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:52 AM
My Feedback: (7)

To me, it's underutilizing a great engine. To you, it's usefull. So set it up the way you like and enjoy it. It's OK for us to view it differently.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:05 PM

I just don't see how it is a waste.
$59.99 - Magnum XLS 46A
$279.99 - Saito 82 Golden Knight

It's your plane, so power it how you want. Jim Dines just figured you could find something else to do with $220.00, is my guess.

Saito engines are nice, so if you want one you should go ahead and buy one.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:13 PM

ORIGINAL: RcFlyer10X

Why is the .82 considered a waste for this plane when i can use the .82 later on in a warbird later on. It is a great way to break the motor in for a future plane. I don't see why it is such a waste i have seen it mounted in the pulse on the forums here they say it was somewhat of a tight fit but it worked but he didn't say anything about flight characteristics. I just don't see how it is a waste.
I stand corrected....... It's not a waste. I guess I'm just coming from a different background. You have a great idea though in breaking it in on the Pulse. I would rather break it in on the Pulse and then switch it to a war bird later also. The Saitos sometimes are troublesome to keep running good at first but after broken in are trouble free which is what you would want for a war bird. Good idea!
Old 02-06-2007, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the replies i am going to keep an eye out for that April edition of Fly RC and see what they have to say about it as well. But Thanks for the info. Oh and doc austin i would love to hear your experience with the electric powered pulse. So if you want to either PM me when you get it done or post it back in this thread that would be great thanks.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:25 AM

Thanks for the replies i am going to keep an eye out for that April edition of Fly RC and see what they have to say about it as well.
You might actually learn a lot from the article. The review begins on page 122 and the author, Kevin Siemonsen, covers the glow mount installation in great detail. He mounted the engine inverted against Saito's factory recommendations, and it created a fair amount of trouble for him.

He did like the engine on the plane though, and said that mounting it upright would have saved him a lot of headaches. In any event, the Saito 82 Golden Knight flew the plane beautifully. He also seemed to like the electric version with the Power 46 E-Flight motor. He said the two flew very similarly, with the electric only giving up a little bit of top speed and vertical authority to the glow setup.

This article is a must-read before you make a final decision.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:49 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an AXI 4120/14 on mine...about the same as the Power 46.
It flys great...a very smooth sport plane
I am currently (bad pun intended ) using a Phoenix 80 ESC and Kokam 3200's (4 cells ) and a 13 X 8E and I see 700W/55A on my Super Whatt meter.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:10 AM

Hmm i will definitely have to look into that article. But it looks as if i am going to have to push my purchase off a couple months atleast. I just won a JR 9303 on ebay that had 10 flights on it for $330 so i am going to have to pay for that and then recover some money for the plane and motor in the next couple months.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:58 PM

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Thanks for the replies i am going to keep an eye out for that April edition of Fly RC and see what they have to say about it as well.
You might actually learn a lot from the article. The review begins on page 122 and the author, Kevin Siemonsen, covers the glow mount installation in great detail. He mounted the engine inverted against Saito's factory recommendations, and it created a fair amount of trouble for him.

He did like the engine on the plane though, and said that mounting it upright would have saved him a lot of headaches. In any event, the Saito 82 Golden Knight flew the plane beautifully. He also seemed to like the electric version with the Power 46 E-Flight motor. He said the two flew very similarly, with the electric only giving up a little bit of top speed and vertical authority to the glow setup.

This article is a must-read before you make a final decision.
I think it depends on the set up (with the tank) with the Saitos being inverted. My 82 has been inverted for the past two years and it starts and runs perfect. I also have an 125 inverted on a Mayhem and it runs just fine.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:15 AM

Hey guys thanks for all the replies. I was just looking around and saw the YS .63 i was wondering now if you had to chose between the Saito .82 and the YS .63 for this plane which would you chose i understand they have very similar amounts of power and weigh about the same so if that is true it seems as if the .63 would fly a warbird just as nice as the .82 would. I am just thinking of the future and the pulse is going to be the plane to break the engine in and learn on and sharpen my skills. Thanks for the info in advance.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:01 PM

I bought a Pulse last summer and put an O.S. 46 AX in it. More power than you really need in the plane. Like guys have said, it is not a 3D plane just a nice sport low wing. With full throttle the plane screams. I have used both a APC 11x6 and APC 12x4. Both prefrom well and give more thrust than needed with the plane. 46 AX is reasonable price and a small package. I have a couple of Saito as well and putting a .82 on the pulse would be overkill and look huge on the front of the sleek plane. Go with a 2 cycle and save the Saito for a better plane that can use it.
On another note the Pulse is a great flier. Have flown it in 20 mph winds with gusts to 28-30 (I use a wind meter) and still did not need full throttle to bring the plane into the wind and keep control. Parks very well at 100 feet in the air.
Bottom line is its your budget and plane....do what you want and enjoy!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 12:22 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question for you guys using 4 strokes.

The front end of the fuselage is rather lightly constructed...do you think an .82 will put a lot of vibration / stresses on the firewall, and whole structure for that matter?

I'm using E power, and expect mine to last for quite a while...but I don't think that would happen with a big thumpin' 4 stroke? I think the .72 would be plenty though?

Mine weighs 5 lb. 9 oz. RTF and will climb straight up after take-off for about 200'
Old 02-24-2007, 03:07 PM

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

I just don't see how it is a waste.
$59.99 - Magnum XLS 46A
$279.99 - Saito 82 Golden Knight

It's your plane, so power it how you want. Jim Dines just figured you could find something else to do with $220.00, is my guess.

Saito engines are nice, so if you want one you should go ahead and buy one.
Not to mention the price of 4 stroke Glow Plugs