Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 J3 Cub Flat Spin????? >

J3 Cub Flat Spin?????

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

J3 Cub Flat Spin?????

Old 02-06-2007, 12:24 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default J3 Cub Flat Spin?????

Don't know if this is the correct forum, but will fish for an answer here.

Is anyone performing flat spins with their J3 Cub (especially the long-wing cub)??? I know how to get into a flat spin with some of my other models and am wondering if my Hangar 9 1/5 Cub could also do it and still recover. I don't have a powerhouse 3D engine (OS.52). If anyone has spinning experience with their J3 I would like to hear about it. Thanks
Old 02-06-2007, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: J3 Cub Flat Spin?????

Some planes just will not flat spin at all. This isn't a prototypical maneuver for a J-3 anyway. If you have a scale plane, fly it scale.

Dr.1
Old 02-06-2007, 03:26 PM

Full scale J3s do spin, maybe just not flatly. Years ago I read in a J3 model review about spinning a cub, but it was a little tense getting it out of the spin. Has anybody tried it???
Old 02-06-2007, 03:36 PM

An aft CG may help initiate a flat spin, but beware of getting too far aft..it could get real ugly! Also try entering a normal spin, with some throttle, maybe 20%, slowly start feeding cross cortrol airlerons. If that doesn't get you in to a flat spin, then it probably won't do it. Remember that if you do get into a true flat spin, air is not moving across the control surfaces much so they alone may not get you out of it. It usually requires power to provide an airflow over the controls to recover. If the engine quits while in a flat spin, you may continue to the ground.

Rod
Old 02-06-2007, 04:50 PM
My Feedback: (12)

My DP clipped wing could flat spin but it took what seemed forever to stop. Definitely had to change my shorts after that.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:53 PM

Another thought...try inverted flat spins to. Some planes may do inverted flat spins and not regular flat spins.

Rod
Old 02-06-2007, 08:24 PM
My Feedback: (12)

I don't think I would try to invert flat spin a Cub [X(]
Old 02-09-2007, 03:41 PM

i do it all the time on my gp cub arf with an os. .46ax. Recovers quickly as well. The trick is i have found is to get the plane close to stall, pull hard up, then down left on the right stick and hard right with 50% throttle on the left stick. Have been doing it for a while now. Plane recovers the second i level the sticks. The gp cub recomended cg is 4", I have mine at 4.3" good luck, Spence
Old 02-09-2007, 06:51 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I can state from personal experience that a full scale J3 will enter and recover from a conventional spin very nicely. Execute a normal power off stall, just as the stall breaks kick in full rudder while maintaining full up elevator. Recovery is opposite rudder followed by neutral elevator and then gradually pull out of the dive. Some RC models will not spin this way. Models with higher wing loading seem to be the ones that will spin.

A flat spin is sort of different. That is kind of a gimmick maneuver I guess. It takes lots of rudder and lots of power.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:25 PM

bbike, What kind of ailerons does your cubby have; strip or barn door??? Would you say you have to power out of the flat spin or does it just stop with release of sticks? How many turns before stopping, etc.?? Thanks GarySS