Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Bridi BIGGG  BEE >

Bridi BIGGG BEE

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Bridi BIGGG BEE

Old 02-11-2007, 05:59 PM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bridi BIGGG BEE

I think i've found the ultimate sport monster, has anyone built one or flown one?
any info apreciated

thanks
Old 02-12-2007, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bridi BIGGG BEE

Yes- I've one and it's a great airplane to build and fly. It has a very wide performance envelope. I've tried a number of engines from a Honda GX 31 4-stroke gas conversion to the current aerotow setup with a G62. A G62 is completely over the top for this airframe, however, it makes for a great multipurpose platform. It would fly sport well with anything in the 35-45cc range, 1.8-2.2 four stroke, or the OS 1.60 FX would be a good match as well.

I recommend taking a router to the ribs and fuse sides as it is over built as shipped from bluejay. The kit quality is up there with the best. Beautiful machine cut and sanded parts that fit perfectly...worth the $180 price tag.

Abell RC in Billings can make a nice set of Al landing gear if you opt out of the wire gear included in the kit.

Good luck!
Old 02-12-2007, 07:00 PM

thanks cheech, i think i'm going to try a 4500 ST ,OR a BGX 3500 For power.
How thick are the fuse sides? are they ply or balsa? What type of servos did you use?

Old 02-12-2007, 09:34 PM

The fuse is 1/4" plywood. I've attached a pic that shows the holes I routed. As for servos, I just used cheap analog hitec 1/4 scale servos. I think they are 711's.

Your engine choices sound good. I'd consider gas as both those engines will drink the glow.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82170.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	620078  
Old 02-13-2007, 06:59 PM

1/4 inch ply , the thing is a beast. Routing out squares , as you did is a great idea.

this may sound crazy, but could it be fliped over and turned into a low wing? I've always wanted to try that with a stick type plane.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:28 PM

I guess one could do that, but why not get the Killer Bee or Big Kaos kit?
Old 02-15-2007, 07:13 PM

your right, great point, i think the killer B OR the big kaos are a better choice than the
4 120.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:08 AM
My Feedback: (77)

It it s terrific airplane. The Big Bee was the basis for our 1994 California R/C Marathon plane. I gave the kit to a neighbor and he built our wing from copied parts and I built the Fuselage and Tail from sticks around Joe's design. The neighbor got to keep the kit.
We flew 247 miles on 1/2 gallon of gas in a Ryobi at just above idle for 5 1/2 hours.
The Ryobi 31cc conversion is an excellent choice for an engine too.
I recently worked for a major aerospace company and they have two of them that they use to train their UAV pilots using the Quadra 35cc.

Name:	Bz79265.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	623319  
Old 02-17-2007, 04:40 PM

thats some really kool info . where would you get a ryobi 35cc?
i wish i had a place where i could fly 3 miles. let alone 247 IT must be a lot different feeling flying
rc straight , and not in a circle. WITH that big wing that bee probly flies like a glider.

i'm going to fly mine with a big 2 stroke, and do some gliding to save fuel

tally ho
Old 02-18-2007, 12:02 AM

I don't know of any other size for the Ryobi than the 31cc (1.9 Cu In)or the (I believe) 26cc four-stroke.

It is a blast flying from the back of a Pick-up. Our course is 50 miles out and 50 miles back with a 1900' elevation change in the middle and a right turn through a nearly ghost town out in the desert. We are limited to the 55 MPH speed limit so any leg you average more than 55 is not counted. I design my planes for about 50-53 to be safe and we have to watch out for the down wind legs. The course os a "V" shape so it averages out.

We carry two pilots, a driver and "observer" that keeps us legal. We have an ice chest full of drinks to fight dehydration and spare gas for the truck in case we need to refuel. We don't stop for anything. The 100 mile turn-around (at the starting point) has a Porta Potti if you want to use it but that costs us mileage. We don't get credit for miles if the truck is not moving.

The airplane has windows in the fuselage sides so that we can fly it right up along side the truck to check on fuel consumption. I usually sit in the captain's chair facing backwards and the other pilot has his own captain's chair facing forward for versatility and sun position. It is fun to bring the plane up against the tailgate and "hover" it there or fly it over the hood so the driver can get a look. The Big Bee is very stable and handles the turbulance nicely. At altitude, we trim the airplane with all sticks neutral and the throttle stick all the way down (so we don't bump it) and just use the trims to make tiny course adjustments. We communicate with the driver through the slider window calling out ""Up 1" or "Up 2" or "Down 2".

Believe it or not, after 5 hours of flying, I started getting drowsy. I think the dehydration was creeping in too. My 12 year old son was a real trooper as co-pilot and even flew in the early morning with rain hitting him in the face at 55 MPH. He didn't complain either. I didn't know what he was going through until I held up my hand and felt the sting of the rain hitting my hand. I immediately took over and flew the plane behind us while he crouched behind the cab of the truck till the rain stopped.
Yes, those are fond memories and we are looking forward to this year when the Corona R/C club is going to bring back the California R/C Marathon.

Name:	Mk27695.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	623939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49814.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	623940  
Old 02-18-2007, 09:40 AM

T AMERICA , thats about as cool as it gets, WHAT desert is that ? AZ or CAL?
that engine looks really big on that B , I LIKE the pitts with the exaust tubes up
it looks like a hot rod.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: typhoonfury

T AMERICA , thats about as cool as it gets, WHAT desert is that ? AZ or CAL?
that engine looks really big on that B , I LIKE the pitts with the exaust tubes up
it looks like a hot rod.
Those pictures were taken at Rabbit Dry Lake where I fly regularly. It's East of Victorville near Lucerne, CA.

The Marathon is held at Baker, CA which is about half way from my home to Las Vegas but still in CA. Some of the teams will rent a convertable car (with unlimited mileage) from Las Vegas for the one day. We "launch" early in the morning from a small dry lake bed near Baker, Ca and head out East on Kelbaker Road (Baker to Kelso). That takes us up to the top of the mountains to the highest point on the course (25 miles)(about 2900' if I remember correctly) and we have to choose whether we fly over or under the high power lines. I usually fly over (with no radio problems) but some fly under. Then we descend into the small (almost ghost town) of Kelso about 10 - 15 miles. In Kelso, we make a right angle turn to the left (North). I like to keep the airplane high so that we can cut the corner (the car still has to do the mileage) and still see the plane over the tall trees at the turn. We then, parallel the railroad tracks about 10-15 miles back up hill to the turn-around. That is 50 miles. There is a Ham Radio operator (volunteer) at the top of the hill and at the 50 mile turnaround who reports our progress back to the Launch HQ. There are usually around 20 teams in the "Open" class and it gets pretty exciting back at the HQ when the Ham radio reports come in. One year, we crashed before we even got started so we spend the day at the local truck stop cafe listening to our scanner as the Ham reports came in.
As the airplane descends slightly and the road climbs toward the 50 mile turn-around, I like to fly it alongside the truck and get a check on fuel consumption. We carry two 32oz tanks in tandem under the CG. The rear tank will empty first into the front tank. The airplane will get a little nose heavy so we need to be sure we have enough trim to handle it as well as the planned climbing we will have to do. The Gas/oil misture is easy to see through the windows. The Big Bee is so solid, it has been said that I could place a coke can on the wing tip and pass it up to the driver.[X(]
Yea, I like that Bisson Muffler too. When we landed, the top of the tail was covered with tar from the engine. I have some caps that cover the exhaust and poke some American flags through them when the airplane is on display.[]

Name:	Lj23770.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	624125  
Old 02-18-2007, 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: typhoonfury

1/4 inch ply , the thing is a beast. Routing out squares , as you did is a great idea.

this may sound crazy, but could it be fliped over and turned into a low wing? I've always wanted to try that with a stick type plane.
Years ago Bridi made a low wing version called the Bizzi bee. Basically a Big bee flipped over. That kit came with the cowling that a lot of folks use on the Big Bee.
Cheers, dave.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:47 PM

mog , if i flipped it where would i put the landing gear?
Old 02-18-2007, 08:12 PM

Mount the gear on a ply plate in front of the wing. Make it so the axles are just in front of the leading edge of the wing, just like any other taildragger. On the Bizzi Bee there was a cockpit and a turtle deck, but you could "kit bash" it to any configuration you like. Have fun.
Cheers, Dave.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:23 PM

thanks Mog
Old 04-22-2007, 08:18 AM

cheech, where did you get the aluminum landing gear? and how wide is it?
is the wing clipped in the pic , i noticed the end plates

thanks

dan