Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 New video >

New video

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

New video

Old 02-13-2007, 06:39 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New video

Over the weekend, I had the pleasure of making a video for Pacific Aeromodels. Please check it out and give me your feedback. Too long, too hard to see, too noisy, to quiet...? I can't do anything about the lighting, it was a really crummy day.

http://www.mydeo.com/videorequest.as...5907&CID=74638

Thanks for your time.

Jim
Old 02-13-2007, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New video

Looked good to me.......................
Old 02-13-2007, 10:36 PM

Say Jim, you did an excellent job, one of, if not the best job of video work I've seen. You never lost track of the airplane, all during the video as many do. I was not familiar with the airplane, but I am now and it looked like if flew exceptionally well. What was it powered with? Too bad the sky was grey rather than blue, and you had no control over that. Only thing I'd like to see is to re-shoot the video on a pretty blue-bird sky day so the plane can really show it colors!

And remember, "Experience is a hard teacher. She always gives the test first and the lesson sometime later!"

Phillip
Old 02-13-2007, 11:15 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If this is supposed to be a promotional video, for PA, then I think it is too long. Probably should shorten it to about three minutes. You did an excellent job of tracking the airplane, panning back when necessary to keep it in frame, and not zooming in too tight. Your transitions are too abrupt though, in my opinion. Many scenes switch abruptly. Some scenes you do a wipe from left to right but it is too fast. It would look better using a fade, about two seconds or three seconds between scenes.

My loudest issue is with the background noise. If this were just another home video, okay. But a promotional video? No, it has way too much LOUD background noise. It has other airplane engine noise which is very distracting, and then road traffic as well. And the road traffic is loud also.

The flying location is not attractive. Looks like a prison yard or something. It would be much better to fly at an open area, no freeways or other massive concrete structures in the background.

I'm not trying to be mean. You asked for feedback, and this is supposed to be constructive criticism.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:15 AM

one thing i have to add, if that video was shot on a sunny day, it would make the plane stand out alot more. at times, when the camera is zoomed out, it is hard to see the plane.
other than that, this video is ALOT better than about 95% of the videos out there
Old 02-14-2007, 12:24 AM

i loved every minute of it! i really want a nitro 3 channel plane. 3 channel is my friend! anyway great flying and i loved the landing! well, maybe the loops more.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:59 AM

Oh, and I forgot to add in my first reply: Watching this airplane convinced me I should own one!
Old 02-14-2007, 12:10 PM
jrf

Thank you all for your comments.

Kmot: That is exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for. Thank you. I will do what I can with this video and then PA will probably post it until we can reshoot on a better day.

Greyfoxx: It is powered by an OS 46AX with a 12x4 APC. Nice combination.

Does anyone think that it would be better with some narrative description of the airplane at the beginning and less actual flying?

Jim

Old 02-14-2007, 02:34 PM

Does anyone think that it would be better with some narrative description of the airplane at the beginning and less actual flying?
I don't think it would be necessary. Most likely whoever is watching the video, has already read the aircraft description and specifications page. Perhaps, one or two still photos at the begining, showing the plane again from left and right oblique angles or something would segway nicely into the video portion. I ususally set my stills duration at around 8 seconds, with a fade between them. The fade takes up two seconds for the transition, then it fades into the video portion. Sometimes I add stills in the beginning, the middle, and the end of a video. It breaks up the video while adding emphasis to the portion that just played.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:45 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Very nice Video, and is better than most I have seen. I wrote down the info on the plane so I can find out where to buy one. It sure peaked my interest!!!!!!

Old 02-14-2007, 03:34 PM
jrf

I wrote down the info on the plane so I can find out where to buy one. It sure peaked my interest!!!!!!
That is what Pacific Aeromodel wants to hear I'm sure.

Go to www.pacaeromodel.com

Jim
Old 02-14-2007, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant see the video. I keep getting a short video that says "please try again". So my recomendation is post it in a more user friendly location.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:54 PM
jrf

Mr67Stang:

It is posted on Microsoft's recommended site, but still it won't play on some computers with Internet Explorer 7. If you uninstall IE7 it will play fine on the old IE6. It will be posted soon on Pacific's website and I haven't heard of any problems with that one.

To all who have contributed, thank you. I have revised it and added some of the things you all have suggested. I put up the revised version at http://www.mydeo.com/videorequest.as...5907&CID=74638 and I will go back to the first post and change the link there to the new one.

This is my first experience with editing a movie (Microsoft Movie Maker) and I am learning a lot. I hope we can shoot a new one on a sunny day, and I will incorporate more of your suggestions there.

Jim

Old 02-14-2007, 10:15 PM

I like the improvements! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-15-2007, 11:13 AM
jrf

Kmot:

I think the abrupt transitions had a lot to do with the audio. I have the audio fading in and out at each transition now and that smoothed it out quite a bit.

I'm going to move this thread to the ARF forum (the "big time") and see what they think.

Jim
Old 02-16-2007, 07:29 AM

Nice video!

Only problem is, my ears are still ringing from that 2-stroke.

Put a 4-stroke on it and you'd have a "winner".