Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 arc ready 2 glides to long on landing >

arc ready 2 glides to long on landing

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

arc ready 2 glides to long on landing

Old 02-26-2007, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default arc ready 2 glides to long on landing

my arc ready 2 seams to stay in the air to long when landing and i have to push down to get here to land and she comes in mega fast . i find my self over shooting the strip could this be any thing to do with my cg any avice would be appreciated cheers matt
Old 02-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: arc ready 2 glides to long on landing

Take the airplane high and then learn its slow-flight envelope. Work with the model until you find out how slowly it will actually fly. It just sounds like you're trying to land the airplane at a too-high airspeed. That's why it seems to float so much...you're bleeding off speed. Once you find out how slowly it will fly, you can then fly it a air faster for a bit of error margin, and then work on touching down at the end of the strip. You'll find out that the model will land and stop in a much shorter area than you'd originally think.

It's very, very common for R/C flyers to land to fast. Work on finding a good airspeed for the approach to landing. If you can find a good throttle and elevator trim position, use them on every landing approach. You'll find that once you have a good, stabilized approach, landings will take care of themselves.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:20 PM

thanks for your advise but i am landing my plane deadstic and it still seams to glide for very long before touch down

cheers matt
Old 02-26-2007, 04:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

air speed is controlled with the elevator so if you are too fast you need to raise the nose and the plane will slow down it d if you hold the nose slightly uwill also start to climb but as the speed bleeds off and if you hold the nose slightly up the plane will begin to sink the slower it flys the more it will sink till it stalls what you need to do is as the stall speed is aproached lower the nose slightly to maintain flying speed and the sink rate.It takes practice but those of us that fly sailplanes as well practiced alot to land in the circle for points.any plane should be able to land at just above it's stall spped.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:38 PM

actually, simply going by your description, it sounds as if your CG is too far forward. Start moving it back 1/2" at a time until if lands just how you want it to, but remember, the controls get more sensitive as you do this.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Ready is a good floater but it is also a very good slow flier. It sounds to me like you are probably comming down from pretty high up and diving for the runway. If thats the case you are building up to much speed to land, you need to slow down sooner and kill off altitude before you get over the end of the runway.

I don't suggest moving the CG much behind what is recommended, this plane can be quite aerobatic and it doesn't sound like you are ready for that yet.
ENJOY !!! RED
Old 02-27-2007, 10:21 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: mtwister

actually, simply going by your description, it sounds as if your CG is too far forward. Start moving it back 1/2" at a time until if lands just how you want it to, but remember, the controls get more sensitive as you do this.
This is exactly what i was thinking.

A nose-heavy plane will have a tendency to come in like a dart and not want to slow down.

Try shifting some weight back like mtwister said, but I would do it more like 1/4" at a time
Old 02-27-2007, 10:58 AM

Red, I whole heartedly agree, BUT at the same time, if a planes CG is too far forward, a novice pilot will not know how to id this problem, and will be constantly fighting a plane that will not slow down. If the CG is inthe recommended range, then he needs to look elsewhere, but I think checking the cg is a good start.
ORIGINAL: red head

The Ready is a good floater but it is also a very good slow flier. It sounds to me like you are probably comming down from pretty high up and diving for the runway. If thats the case you are building up to much speed to land, you need to slow down sooner and kill off altitude before you get over the end of the runway.

I don't suggest moving the CG much behind what is recommended, this plane can be quite aerobatic and it doesn't sound like you are ready for that yet.
ENJOY !!! RED
Old 02-27-2007, 01:16 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I Have the ready 2 and it would be called slippery and I have had the same effect going from the AEROBAT to the Ready. The Aerobat has a large wing and chord with alot of resistance, when you point the nose up the plane slows down. The Ready wing doesn't have the resistance that the aerobat does and doesn't slow down as fast. Instead of landing like a trainer, up high and long glide in, come down to close as your comfortable with and then slow down with the elevator.

Steve

Old 03-03-2007, 05:08 AM

cheers for all your advice i will take on bord an have a go today and let you know how i get on thanks matt