Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Super Sportster or Four Star as Second Plane >

Super Sportster or Four Star as Second Plane

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Super Sportster or Four Star as Second Plane

Old 02-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Sportster or Four Star as Second Plane

I'm debating on what to get for my second plane right now I have an Ultra Stick 40 I have been flying for about two months. I'm wanting to stick with a 40 size sport plane for a little while and I'm wanting a low-mid wing plane this time. The two planes that have caught my attention the most are Great Plane's Super Sportster and SIG's Four Star 40. If you have flown either or both of these planes which one did you like better. Does anybody have anyother suggestions for a 40 size second sport plane
Old 02-27-2007, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Super Sportster or Four Star as Second Plane

Are you looking for a kit or an ARF? Both the super sportster and 4* are good choices. I've built and flown several 4*'s; you can't go wrong with one. As for the Super Sportsters, I've never had one of my own but I've seen them in action, looks like an excellent airplane.

If you are interested in a kit, another option is the GP Rapture .40. This is a great airplane. I have no idea why it isn't more popular.

Having said that, you mentioned that you currently fly an Ultra Stick. Are you comfortable with it? If so, you may be able to take on something a little more aerobatic. The Sig Somthin Extra is a very fun airplane. A few other options are the GP U-Can-do 46, the Hangar-9 Twist 40 and the Hangar-9 Pulse XT.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can find a Sportster kit, buy it and build it. This would be my first choice to answer your question. A much cooler plane when finished than the
Four-Star but a lot more work. Don't get the ARF. If not, build a Four Star. One of my all time favorite planes! The kit comes out much lighter than the ARF and is really simple to build. Both are really great flyers!
-Johnny-
Old 02-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Banned

I've thought about the Pulse and the Twist. but I'm wanting to stick with an ARF until I get out of school. I was gonna get an UltraSport or Rapture kit once summer gets here.

And jrbmoto are you just against ARFs or has the Great planes arfs been crap for you
Old 02-27-2007, 10:53 PM
My Feedback: (22)

my suggestion is get a hanger 9 pulse as its a great second or third plane.If your a warbird enthuasist then try the hanger 9 mustang.I witnessed one just last week and had my doubts as a trainer and still do.having said that though the plane flies well with the training aids to slow it down and give it beginner like stabilty .as your confidence grows remove the hardware and you have an ecellent intemediate plane.one other plane that is hard to kill and a joy to fly is a sig something extra.build it as a kit or and arf stick a 46 on it and have a blast with it.it will make you a better pilot.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:58 PM
My Feedback: (22)

and one plane I havent seen or flown in many years is the sport aire 45 offered by northeast..terrifc plane and right now I built an oldie laying around but lots of fun is a sig kougar..and if you want to spend little get a tower kaos 40..not as sleek as the original but at a 100 bucks and a 40-46 its a good value..
Old 02-27-2007, 11:44 PM

I'm not against ARFs at all. Great Planes makes some of the best. I have a UCD .40 and love it! Unfortunatly, the Sportster ARF is nothing like the original. Thats why I suggested the kit version. I always try to encourage new comers to build if at all possible. You would be suprised at how quickly you can get a Four Star kit to the ARF stage. An couple hours a night and you can have her framed up in a week!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:18 AM

One thing no one hear asked you was, How do you like to fly.

A) Are you the lazy circles mixxed with an occassional loop and roll kind of guy that dreams of advancing to to the scale warbirds?

B) Maybe you map out routines in your head trying to make your manouvers flow from one to the next in a fantastic display of skill destined for pattern aerobatic competition?

C) Or are you a stick banger, taking your plane and throwing it to the wind trying to make it do things that make people ask you, "How'd you do that?" and you reply, "I dunno, I just moved the sticks."? (This will likely evolve into 3D flying)

D) God help you if you are "all of the above"; if so you are like me and destined to spend thousands each year on this hobby because you will want at least one of every plane including the various size options for each plane.

If you are A or B either plane you are concidering will be excellent choices.

If you are C then get a Sig Something Extra, a Hanger 9 Twist or a Great Planes U-Can-Do.

If you are D then it does not matter what you get now as you will get the other later anyway.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:40 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

If you are A or B either plane you are concidering will be excellent choices.

If you are C then get a Sig Something Extra, a Hanger 9 Twist or a Great Planes U-Can-Do.

If you are D then it does not matter what you get now as you will get the other later anyway.
I'm more of A with a little B. Right now I'm wanting to switch to a low-wing sport plane now. I've flown a 3-D plane on simulators and in air and I aint ready for that quite yet. Im gonna wait til this summer when I'm out of school and either build a Chipmunk or UltraSport
Old 02-28-2007, 12:50 AM

Be advised that the 40 Ultra Stik you have now is far mor acrobatic than either of those planes you are looking at. The planes you are looking at will require more skill to safely take off and land though. Either are great stepping stones towards a Warbird or pattern ship.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:29 PM
My Feedback: (197)

ORIGINAL: jrbmoto

I'm not against ARFs at all. Great Planes makes some of the best. I have a UCD .40 and love it! Unfortunatly, the Sportster ARF is nothing like the original. Thats why I suggested the kit version. I always try to encourage new comers to build if at all possible. You would be suprised at how quickly you can get a Four Star kit to the ARF stage. An couple hours a night and you can have her framed up in a week!
What make the sportster arf's that much different than the kits? I have never flown the arf, but have built and flown a few of the kits.