Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Pro's And Cons Of The Four Star .40 >

Pro's And Cons Of The Four Star .40

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Pro's And Cons Of The Four Star .40

Old 03-05-2007, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro's And Cons Of The Four Star .40

Please tell me about your experiences with the Four Star 40. Im thinking of buying the ARF version. Thanks

Jon.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Pro's And Cons Of The Four Star .40

I've never had the ARF but I've built 3 kits. They build and fly easy. The pros are almost too many to list so I will list what I personally think are cons:

-Wing is too flexible, warps easily when shrinking covering. I fixed this in my latest 4*
-A little squirley on the take off roll, nothing that can't be managed though.
-Stock version isn't too attractive, especially the goofy canopy. This can be corrected.
-Stock landing gear is weak. If you're still prone to hard landings it will bend.
-Floats too much on landing for my taste but I guess it's better than a plane that stalls too easily.

This is about the only remotely bad stuff I can think of. This is far outweighed by the good. The 4* is a comfortable, fun plane that is a good platform for modifications. You can't go wrong with it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77326.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	636082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20925.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	636083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl18905.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	636084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96444.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	636085  
Old 03-06-2007, 07:33 AM

I agree with everything ChuckW said. Mine is a kit too.

For me the squirrelly takeoffs and stock landing gear were the big problems. With a little patience you can sort out the gear so it tracks pretty good. I replaced the stock tailwheel setup.

As for floating on landings...on a windy day you can almost bring it to a stop before you touch the ground. [8D]

It's a super fun plane to fly and with a 4 stroke sounds cool too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91015.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	636210  
Old 03-06-2007, 11:39 AM
My Feedback: (1)

They are a good plane. I think the Hangar 9 Pulse is better though.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fine second plane/first low wing. Pretty stable but will do all the basic aerobatics far sharper than a high wing trainer. Loved mine before I lost it to a bad battery( stupid!! stupid!! ). Only thing I didn`t care for was the fact that it was a floater extrordinaire!! If you have much air speed at all on final, it will teach you what " sensitive elevator " means. It`ll balloon to the moon!! I`ve personally found I like models with a bit more deliberate sink rate that I can control with throttle. The Avistar I learned on comes down more deliberately! Don`t get me wrong though, it`s a great plane and the 4* series are true RC classics ( everyone should have one somewhere in there flying career, IMHO).
Old 03-06-2007, 12:19 PM

check this out http://www.btemodels.com/vt_vs_fs.html;)
Old 03-06-2007, 07:51 PM

I love the Four Star .40 and have built quite a few of them. The thing I don't like about it is that it pitches down severly with rudder application. Still haven't been able to figure out why...I've asked every "expert" I know and have never gotten an answer that makes since. Some blame it on the shape of the fuselage; that its round on top and flat on the bottom...(???) others say its because the stabilizer is in the wrong place and that it catches a vortex off the wing. Whatever, I'll always have one in my quiver! Great sunday flyer!

-Johnny-
Old 03-06-2007, 10:17 PM

2) Knife Edge. The FS has a nasty pitch to the belly with rudder application. To correct this, the V60 stabilizer was positioned lower on the fuselage and the rudder hinge line was swept back. It worked! The V60 does a beautiful, straight knife edge.

this is from the link that i posted earlier
Old 06-29-2007, 11:41 AM

If you guys are flying computer radios and have a flaperon or spoiler mode use it. With 2 aileron servos you can kick the ailerons up a few degrees on landing and your floaty bouncy 4 Star will land like you want it to. They bounce alot also because the gear is so far forward. Turn the gear around so the wheels are further back, it will help some. Don't forget the aileron position on all the 4 Stars is kind of up to begin with.
Try it on all your planes, it works great.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:34 PM

the Fourstar 40 ARF was my second plane after the trainer, the first low wing and the first tail dragger.
I used to love everything except a few points related mostly to landings:
1. Rudder has a severe coupling, and the plane pitches to the belly side very badly. This requires lots of corrections for precise acrobatics.
2. Plane bounces on landings, but REALLY bounces a lot. Regardless of your flying skills, you can always find a way to make it bounce. The good thing is that in the end I became a pro lander of the 4* Of course there are lots of tricks and mods to cure this, I was still a beginner and didn't know what to do at that time...
3. Plane floats a lot and the ground effect when you get close for landing is very pronounced. You can struggle to land it on windy days without running out of runway. I virutally never succeeded to land it properly in cross winds neither.
4. The plane appeared a little overweight compared to similar 40 size plane of the same category.
5. Takeoff were tricky and I ran into ground loops a lot in the beginning. I then discovered that's because I was experiencing the first taildragger, but also bcs the 4* is more prone to ground looping than other due to the position of the landing gears.

Despite all that, I do love the 4 star, and I am now thinking of getting the 60 version after a mid-air collision early this year. Trying and owning other planes now, I still feel that I need to go back to the fun of the 4*!! I just need to have one in my collection. Can't do without it
Maybe this is a bit psychological given that I practically learnt all the basic acrobatic moves on it and I felt very confertable in the air.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:16 PM

The four star is a great second plane, it will fly as docile as any trainer out there yet if you fell the need to wring it out there is plenty of potential for that as well. The nose does pitch down with rudder, but this is a minor thing because in co ordinated turns you will be feeding in some elevator anyway and so really won't notice it all that much. In flat turns you will feel it but how many times are you going to do that? knife edge it doesn't like at all, but hey, its not a pattern ship justa simple sunday sport flier.
The floating on landings always confused me a bit. Since when is it a bad thing to have a plane with such a slow landing speed. the .60 will land, and in fact needs to land at a walking pace or she'll just keep on going in ground effect. The solution is simple. slow down. cut the power way early and hold her off the ground till she just wont stay up any longer. once you get used to it, it lands very easily and gently. I have never met any one that disliked the 4*. Some will say V60 etc. are better or whatever, its a Ford VS Chevy thing IMO. But no one outright hates it and thats because it is just a beautiful flying plane. Not perfect, not fast, and maybe not the prettiest. but very very close to perfect on a sunny Sunday morning.

Just another comment on ground loops. I have flown both the 40 and 60 and never ground looped the 40. You do have to treat it like a tail dragger. Go on and guess why that could be But then again I never ground loop my cub either. maybe I'm just gifted in the ways of Tail draggers But I doubt it. I think its just because the tail moment is very long and in the case of the cub the nose moment is very short. these things have to do with leverage after all the P factor is what causes the ground loop and if that little prop doesn't have enough leverage and if you control the throttle correctly then it will track straight down the center line. In other words practice and finesse will work better than saying it is a design feature
Old 06-29-2007, 08:16 PM

But it is a design feature. Its a great plane that needs to be flown differently. Thats what makes them fun. If you have never used spoilers to land a plane with then you are really missing out. They are more useful then flaps.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:31 PM

Yes but I was talking about ground looping.
Spoilers would help it land a little easier too. So would increasing its wing loading. Most people say cut off a rib bay on each side, Well whatever I guess, but that just increases the loading and it flies just like it would if you added 8OZ of Kryptonite to it. But to me it is one of the really nice things about it is its landing qualities, not to mention the stall. Mine have always stalled dead flat with only a 25-30 degree nose drop before it has gained enough speed for flight again. It stalls better than most trainers I have flown.

*Flat meaning in the roll axis.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:01 PM
WMB

I'm on my 4th or 5th year with one. My only flyer for 2yrs, but still go to it to get the thumbs in shape. I didn't care for the stock tail wheel so went with a Sullivan. I've put the wheels into the wing a couple times, ripped the gear off in tall grass landing a deadstick. Mine has been abused and put away wet and it keeps on going. It was fairly ballistic with a ST51 and 11x5. I have other planes for that now. Currently running a Saito 45 with APC 11.5x4 prop, limited verticle but fun to fly on the wing. With more power, it does great knife edge but it does pull to the bottom. Can't go wrong with this one. MikeB
Old 06-30-2007, 01:11 AM

I recently got the ARF to get me back into fixed wing after 2 years concentrating soley on helis.

The Quality of the ARF is the best i have seen to date. Everything lined up and the tricky little jobs like wheel pants and canopy attaching are already done for you. It really is a case of glue the wing halves together, glue the tail surfaces and fit your motor and radio gear and it's done.

I love the way it flys. I have a Saito .62 up front and it pulls it with authority allowing for great aerobatics and nice big loops. It tracks straight but like the other's have said it does pull towards the belly when rudder is applied.

I haven't found the take offs too squirelly and nothing a little bit of right rudder can't fix. My landings are pretty smooth with the 4 stroke and 12.5" prop up front acting as a big air brake. I am now greasing 3 out of 4 landings and occasionally bounce some

In my book, the Four Star 40 is a keeper. I will move on to a more accurate patternish model soon but the 4* will still get used a fair bit as a relaxing sunday flyer.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:31 PM

The FOur-Star .40 has one very nasty trait --- it breaks in two just aft of the trailing edge of the wing on even semi-hard landings. I've broken 3 different kits in half always at the same place. Now I just line the insides of this region with fiberglass cloth as I am building it. I love to fly them, but they are weak in this area. I've also ripped the gear out several times. Just glue it back and go again. Overall a great plane. HazeGray.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:45 PM

...or just throw in another ply doubler right there.

is my memory correct here, isn't there a lightening hole real close to that spot. If the hole (if its even there) is the problem then maybe gluing the hole punch out would add strength. The only four star I ever broke there was in an 80 degree nose down full throttle "landing" but then again everything from the trailing edge forward was broke in half to put it nicely.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:48 PM

my landing gear ripped out to, but also the little rectangle of wood that keeps them on.
my solution, 6 screws, gorilla glue, and nylon bolts.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:03 PM

You also had an entire paragraph on the floating tendencies of the 4 * design. Thats what I was refering to. I have never had anyplane ground loop. Probably because there was enough power on the front to pull itself out and don't forget where the rudder stick is located on the transmitter.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:31 AM

Ground looping is easily avoided if you don't apply full throttle from idle as simple as that!
When I first switched from my trainer I remember that was my biggest take-off problem with the foustar, but then quickly learned to advance throttle slowly until it gets moving and rolling on the runway - then apply full throttle and fly.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:06 PM

Remove at least 1 rib on each side. It will roll faster and not float as much.

Swap the gear for a DuBro fiberglass gear. It's wider and doesn't bend.

Add 3/4" to the elevator.

Add 1" to the rudder.

Change out the tail wheel for a Sullivan.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 4*60 does not float on landings with a 14x4 prop. If you aren't looking for a lot of speed, a low pitch prop works well. If you ARE looking for a lot of speed, why buy a 4*? So I recommend a prop with no more than 4 inch pitch.

As for ground looping, no problems for me at all. I position the landing gear backward from what many people do, i.e., the sweep-back is on the leading edge, if you see what I mean. That positions the wheels back a little bit. Can't remember what the plans show. I'm used to tail draggers and I've flown some that I thought were not user-friendly on the ground, but the 4* is not one of them.

Jim
Old 07-13-2009, 08:26 PM

WOW! Two years later and my post is still going?[X(]
Old 07-13-2009, 09:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, so how do you like the plane?
Old 07-14-2009, 08:36 PM

The plane looks great hanging on my wall, never got the chance to fly it.