Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Retracts for Ultra Sport 1000 >

Retracts for Ultra Sport 1000

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Retracts for Ultra Sport 1000

Old 03-09-2007, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retracts for Ultra Sport 1000

Hello everyone: My next project that I am under taking is the Great Planes Ultra Sport 1000. I want to install retracts (tail dragger version). In the assembly manual they mention B&D mechanical retacts as well as Robart both air and mechanical. My question which way should I go? I am sure that each version has there own pro's and con's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Old 03-09-2007, 08:35 AM
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: Retracts for Ultra Sport 1000

I went with Robart Air retracts. I used the 605HD's (http://www.robart.com/retracts/5-10lbPneu.aspx). These are a little light for the 1000, but are what was recommended back when I built the plane almost 10 years ago. They have worked well.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:12 AM

T too used the 605 HD retracts from Robart. When first installed on landings the wire would bend slightly, not allowing the wheel to properly retract, or would stick in the up position-Not good on landings. I then added the oleo struts and they worked perfectly. I would strongly suggest using this system. Also add the variable adjustable valve to get the realistic up and down motion of the retracts instead of banging up and down. Not good on the internal structure.

Cary
Old 03-09-2007, 12:20 PM
My Feedback: (20)

I used the robostruts too and only a very short length of wire is exposed. If I do a hard landing it will bend, but typically it works fine. I also have the variable adjustable valve and restrictors in the lines and the retract cycle takes about 2-3 seconds, no banging. That took a while to adjust to get it right. Their valve is not the easiest to lock down once you get the right settings without changing the setting.