Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

SIG Four Star 60: Biggest 2 stroke?

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

SIG Four Star 60: Biggest 2 stroke?

Old 03-15-2007, 08:35 PM
jigeye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG Four Star 60: Biggest 2 stroke?

I have a Super Tigre 90 up front now on my 4 Star 60. Excellent power.
Question: I was thinking of going extreme and putting a Super Tigre 2300 on it. It will add 10 oz. to the nose and add 1 horsepower. I'd like to hear anybody who's been crazy enough to put something larger than a .90 2 stroke in this airplane.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:00 PM
FlyingGreg
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SIG Four Star 60: Biggest 2 stroke?

Jigeye--

Why would you want to (IMHO) ruin such a nice flying plane by overpowering to the extreme. My 4* is a kit and very lightly built, at least for me. With an OS 91FS it is perfect for putting around with and does KE end to end of my field and flat spins like crazy. It'll hover, but its right at the threshold of running out of power. I can accept the .90 ST but a 2300 will add a whole bunch of nose weight and shake the dickens out of the light air frame. But having bared my soul, i know guys get a charge of doing things like overpowering planes and changing air frames, etc, etc and if it turns your crank, go for it. You might need to add longer gear though for the large prop you will need for the 2300.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:27 PM
jigeye

I aint gotta licka sense. Just a thought but don't think I'll do it.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:42 PM
FlyingGreg
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jigeye--

I saw another post that you lost your 4* and are looking for a replacement. I've had three fourstars and loved every one. The 60 kit is a gem to build. If yours was an arf, give the kit a try.

Good luck.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:08 PM
jigeye

That is correct. I love the things. You know anyone with one for sale?
Old 03-30-2007, 04:11 PM
w4stp

I just finished a Four Star 60 and run a Saito FA-100 on it and it ballanced right on the money Flew it for the first time yesterday super sweet bird! I also have two Four Star 40's one has a O/S 55AX on it and the other has an O/S 50 SX all three I love to fly!
Old 03-31-2007, 02:31 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

If you want a Four Star .60 with extreme performance, jigeye, why not just stick with a hot .90 2-stroke but maybe look at a tuned pipe setup for it or something? A Magnum XLS .91 or Thunder Tiger Pro .91 with a tuned pipe setup would balance a lot better than the Super Tigre G2300 and provide you with stupid amounts of power.

I'll bet w4stp's Four Star .60 with the Saito 100 is one amazing airplane, too. It brought a smile to my face just thinking about how that bird must sound cruising around his field at 2/3rds throttle.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:06 PM
crawler tech

ORIGINAL: w4stp

I just finished a Four Star 60 and run a Saito FA-100 on it and it ballanced right on the money Flew it for the first time yesterday super sweet bird! I also have two Four Star 40's one has a O/S 55AX on it and the other has an O/S 50 SX all three I love to fly!

I am just finishing up the same thing, but I scratched it from plans, fiberglassed, painted, ect. The fact that you were able to balance it with little effort is good news. I have a couple questions for you.
What prop are you using?
Where is your radio gear / battery located?
How long to you get out of a tank of fuel (assuming you have a ten ounce tank)?

Thanks, Allen