Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Super Skybolt ARF - engine?

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Great Planes Super Skybolt ARF - engine?

Old 03-19-2007, 05:48 PM
pkevinb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Super Skybolt ARF - engine?

I am buying this plane but am unsure as to which engine to purchase for it. I would like to use a 2 stroke for it, was thinking of OS .61 or .91 FX. I was also looking at the OS FS-70 4 stroke.

I definately don't want it to be underpowered but I also don't need more power than I could use. I am not looking for 3D aerobatics or anything like that but I want it to be a fun flier.

This will be my first bipe, and I don't have any experience with 4 strokes. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:36 PM
fadi

Default RE: Great Planes Super Skybolt ARF - engine?

OS .91 Suprass and a topflight 15x6 propeller.
It was designed around them you won't be disapointed, there is nothing to be scared off!

This was my first plane with a 4-stroke, and now I am selling all my 2-strokes engines, and converting big time to the 4-stroke era
The plane is a jewel, take good care of it, it is just amazing!!
Old 03-20-2007, 10:12 AM
opjose

Yeah putting in the Surpass .91 is almost trivial since the template makes it so easy.

A very good match.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:15 PM
pkevinb

Looks like the Surpass .91 it is. I looked in the manual and that is the engine installed in the directions. Also saw some good reviews of the engine as well.

I was looking at the higher cost of the 4 stroke but when you you get a comparable 2 stroke and include the price of pitts style muffler there isn't much difference.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:52 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to mention that whatever extra you spend on a 4-stroke you will save in fuel costs your first season. 4-strokes are much more fuel-efficient.

Like fadi, you'll soon find yourself selling off all of your 2-strokes

BTW, here's my review of the Skybolt with an OS 91 (Note* In the video, the engine was still not completely broken in and as such it was still not running up to peak)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=750
Old 03-22-2007, 10:39 AM
pkevinb

Thanks MinnFlyer. I already saw your review and it greatly helped in my decision. This will be my first bipe and I think it will be just what I need.