Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Wounded Ultra Sport first flight

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Wounded Ultra Sport first flight

Old 03-25-2007, 03:46 PM
pumbadog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wounded Ultra Sport first flight

Well I took the Ultra Sport up for the first time after a 15 year break. I've been flying an Ultra Stick but it was too windy today for that kite. Now the Ultra Sport is wounded. I had a gust of wind catch it about 3 feet off the ground on final and it did a cart wheel that took the wing off. Good thing the aft mounting braket for the wing screws broke off and saved my nylon break away screws.[:@] Not too bad of a wreck. Beef up the forward bulkhead were the dowls riped out and re install the aft wing mounting bracket and it'll fly again. It was good while it lasted. I probably shouldn't have done the maiden flight on a windy day, but this is Kansas. If I don't fly on the windy days, I'd never get to fly.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:06 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Wounded Ultra Sport first flight

I get a kick out of people who think that Nylon bolts are designed to break before the wood does - It just aint gonna happen. maybe on a landing gear, but not on a wing (Or at least very rarely)

Well, at least your damage doesn't sound too bad.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:38 PM
scottrc

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The Ultra Sport is a very tough plane. I have torn my wing mount out a few times becasue of high speed low level passes and forgetting the big weeds at the end of the runway.

The difference between nylon and metal bolts is that the nylon will shear from a hard impact resulting in less damage and savin the wing and the mount. However, the mount usually gives way at about the same time. With metal, the will either get ripped through the wing of through the fuse mount renduring the mountings useless.

Scott
Old 03-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Sherpa FE

I have heard that some people cut thier nylon bolts maybe 1/3 of the way through to make sure that they break and not the rest of the plane. I personally have done this myself, as I would problably cut too much and lose the wing straight and level flight.

I even heard that method for the landing gear, what about you guys, what do you think about cutting them?
Old 03-27-2007, 04:00 PM
scottrc

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sherpa FE

I have heard that some people cut thier nylon bolts maybe 1/3 of the way through to make sure that they break and not the rest of the plane. I personally have done this myself, as I would problably cut too much and lose the wing straight and level flight.

I even heard that method for the landing gear, what about you guys, what do you think about cutting them?
Not me, the last thing I want is to be doing a set of rolls or a loop and have the bolt heads shear off. Even on the landing gear, its much easier to replace the landing gear block because the bolts didn't shear then replacing a whole plane because they sheared in flight.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:06 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A great big DITTO to that!
Old 04-01-2007, 01:33 PM
crawler tech

Is there some reason you wouldn't use a smaller diameter nylon bolt? [&:]
10-24 perhaps.