Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Where is Andy Clancy?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Where is Andy Clancy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Brian C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is Andy Clancy?

Well, I hope I put this in the right forum. I've been a fan of Andy Clancy's designs since he came out with the Lazy Bee. The Speedy Bee, Stagger Bee, Yard Bee, Turbo Bee were, to my mind, unique and fun planes. I'm aware that Andy signed a deal with Hobby People to handle his kits and plans for some period of time, the plan being that Hobby People would handle the ordering and distribution of Andy's designs and this would enable Andy to concentrate on designing new models. Each doing what the other did best.

Over time the offerings from Hobby People seem to have dwindled to almost nothing. The kits which I thought were being revamped with laser cut parts have not yet materialized, and future designs, like the announced Clancy Bee Liner kit, and the rest of the Clancy kits as well as many ARF's no longer appear on their site. I've seen kits and plans on eBay going for very high prices, so I conclude that there is still interest in Andy's designs, that they are still in demand and marketable. We still buy plans, or build kits, or assemble ARF's.

In the absence of any information, I'm left wondering what is going on. Did Andy get tired of the R/C kit business? Is the production of the Clancy line still supported by Hobby People? Is it taking longer than expected to get kits changed to laser and produced? Is it all but gone, or do I need to be a bit more patient.

I guess what I want most to say is that I miss Andy Clancy, his designs, and the fun he brought to this hobby/sport. I truly would like to believe that he is well and happy somewhere coming up with the next unconventional design to surprise and delight us. And if, God forbid, he's out of this business, I'd like to thank him for what we've got, and all the fun I derived from it.

If you've got an angle on this or any hard info, I'd love to hear it.

Just wondering,

Brian C
Old 03-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Where is Andy Clancy?

Probably would get an answer if you posted this question over at the Global Hobbies direct forum. If you don't have their website, PM me for the link.