Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 ModelTech Great Lakes Bipe  HELP!! >

ModelTech Great Lakes Bipe HELP!!

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

ModelTech Great Lakes Bipe HELP!!

Old 04-14-2007, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ModelTech Great Lakes Bipe HELP!!

I know(well, I didn't know untill I bought one THEN did a search here) Its new and not covered. I read all the bad stuff about how it will not fly decently but I'm stuck with it. Other posts were in 2002 so has anyone figured out what to do to make it fly GOOD???? I'll take all advice before I start on it. I know,I know;it makes a great hanger Queen. THANKS,RACJ
Old 04-18-2007, 07:05 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ModelTech Great Lakes Bipe HELP!!

Mine flew great on a Saito 56, till a bad battery cell did her in. I found that a bit on the nose heavy side helped a lot. Also hold her on the ground till airspeed is up, don't jerk into the air. Landing was fine and stright forward as long as you remember the drag of two wings slow her down quickly. Carry a little speed till flair and fine.

Jim
Old 04-18-2007, 07:58 PM

Great,I have OS52 SUR11 or OS 61 2stroke. Glad to hear yours flew good. All the old threads here said plane was hopeless;to just sell it or hang from ceiling but I'm covering mine and flying it. SO you did nothing special to plane(extend nose,change wing incidences etc.) just balance and fly as is????? THANK YOU,Ressie
Old 04-19-2007, 04:58 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Built it per the plans and instructions book, added weight to the engine mount for balance and flew it. Just remember the big round opening on the front really slows down the landing approach and restricts takeoff speed. Be gentle and keep power up and you should not have a problem.

Jim
Old 04-19-2007, 07:44 PM

Thank you JimO. This helps me spend the money to complete the plane and fly it. RACJ
Old 04-28-2007, 05:56 PM

A fellow club member had one and IMO as an observer and critic (LOL), was the plane would stall making the final turn to the runway unless the speed was maintained. This bird needs to be flown all the way to touchdown, otherwise a stall is likely. Slow it down too much and good bye!

DaveB
Old 04-28-2007, 06:59 PM

DAVEB, How did plane fly otherwise?? On old search threads here everyone says plane flys like ****,doesnt respond same each time to inputs,pitch sensitive,etc,etc. Everyone comments on how "hot" I tend to land ALL planes,drove my instructor crazy(trainer planes don't want to stop flying at 1/3 speedTHANKS,RACJ
Old 04-30-2007, 12:59 PM

RACJ,

It did need considerable weight in the nose to acheive the CG, but it flew fine. Basic aerobatics were performed easily. It was the landings that were the main problem. IMO the pilot slowed too much and when making the last turn on final approach, it would often stall. I think if the pilot kept the speed up, turned on final earlier making for a longer final, things would have worked out better.

Hope this helps.

DaveB
Old 04-30-2007, 04:18 PM

THANKS DAVB,Helps a whole lot.I'm curing nose wight with a OS61FX up frontof one inch extended nose before covering. As I said, I land "hot" naturally. I have a p51 with flaps and I never use them just bring it in "on the wheels". Your info gives me the confidence to invest time and money in the plane instead of selling the frame.THANKS RACJ