Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 CG Chipmunk blessed >

CG Chipmunk blessed

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

CG Chipmunk blessed

Old 04-16-2007, 10:39 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG Chipmunk blessed

So I finally got my kit built CG Super Chipmunk out to our private field a year after I started building it. The build was long done, but little odds and ends took almost as long to get around to.

Needless to say, it's unnerving to maiden a kit you put so much time in, but it had to be done sometime, so we got the TT .91 running well, or so we thought, and she lifted off and climbed out nicely needing a little right trim.

But as I was reaching for the trim button, the engine quit and there I was dead sticking a virgin airplane on her maiden flight.

Well, everything seemed to be going well, but I went a little too far out to set up my approach and since she was sinking too fast to make it back I decided to set it down about 300 feet away on a gravel driveway.

Well, that far out, and moving away from me, I couldn't tell how fast it was moving and about ten feet up the wings started flapping and bam...all I can make out is wing and fuse separating.

i prepared myself for the horror as we walked toward the wreckage, almost feeling an urge to throw up, expecting a dozen or more parts strewn across the gravel...

To our shock and surprise though, what we found was a broken prop, and a wing with both blocks attached. The fuselage didn't have a nick in it! One wing tip had some embedded dirt but also was otherwise free of any damage what-so-ever.

How this could be, I don't know. Looked like a pretty good hit; but I ran to the local Walmart for some epoxy, set the wing blocks back in place, and an hour later she was flying again...

...and the two guys I fly with both swore it was the sweetest flying plane they ever tried. I'd have never believed a low-wing with deheidral could ever roll so axially.

This airplane flies fast well, slow well, everything well.

Still hate the fact it was wounded 2 minutes into her flying life.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:50 PM

Default RE: CG Chipmunk blessed

Call it an 'Act of God' that the engine stalled when it did and you were able to get most of the way home.

IF; the engine had not failed... the wing would have separated at altitude with horrible results. []

Count your blessings and enjoy one of the finest designed AC in the world!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:55 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: CG Chipmunk blessed

Thanks. I probably should have worded the description of the event better.

I didn't mean to suggest the wing came off in the air. What I meant by flapping was alternate drooping on each side and then the impact actually tore it off.

Going over it last night I found a few stress fractures inside the fuse that I repaired which were minor, but yikes, didn't see that day.

I'd still like to move down to a Saito .82 and drop a full 8 ounces of weight which probably would have saved it that afternoon. The thing that sucks is if it's the first time flying a plane, you don't know yet how much it will slow down before it quits.

The Chippy is on the heavy side with that TT .91 and Solartex. 122 oz.