Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 HOB P-51 43" with O.S. FS-40 Surpass >

HOB P-51 43" with O.S. FS-40 Surpass

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

HOB P-51 43" with O.S. FS-40 Surpass

Old 04-19-2007, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOB P-51 43" with O.S. FS-40 Surpass

well the O.S. FS-40 Surpass fit in to the HOB P-51 43"
Old 04-19-2007, 11:52 PM

Default RE: HOB P-51 with O.S. FS-40 Surpass

depends.. you talking the 36" wing or the 42'? The os la.15 is a tight fit in the 36".
Old 04-20-2007, 08:49 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: HOB P-51 with O.S. FS-40 Surpass

I have the 42" and an OS .20 FP is a tight fit. I think you will run into problems with the firewall being to close meaning not enogh room for the carb on your 4 stroker. The fuel tank is a tight fit as well so moving the firewall back would be a challenge. I'm not saying it can't be done, just it would be a challenge. If you like I will try to post some pictures of mine with the .20 tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: HOB P-51 43" with O.S. FS-40 Surpass

My Dynaflite Mustang had a wicked left turn on takeoff, and that was a 51 inch plane with a 40 FP and a 10 inch prop. The plane needed all the right rudder I could give it on climb out (no right thrust). I hate to think of what the torque of a 40 FS would do to a 43 inch plane! You'd need a lot of right thrust, the engine weighs a 1/4 lb more than the largest recommended, so you'd need weight in the tail for balance, and the sheer size of the engine and the right thrust would disfigure the whole front end. You'd have a squirrley, overweight, ugly airlplane. Just my opinion. Plus the problems mentioned above. Jim
Old 04-24-2007, 04:06 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: HOB P-51 43" with O.S. FS-40 Surpass

We used to use those to dog fight. We powered them with .29’s and 30’s side mounted. Coarse that was back when round glass filled engine mounts were plentiful for that size engine (I have know Idea what is out there today). Once you turn the engine on its side you should have plenty of room for the crank case and EM. The big problem will be moving the firewall back. If it were me I would build the fuse to the plans. Once complete I would soak the front of the fuse in a bucket of water with ammonia for a day then pull it out and let it dri(obviously it better be built with ca and epoxy). This will relieve the stress caused by pinching the slab fuse sides down to the p-51 nose. Mark the point the front of the firewall needs to be at on the fuse. all the way around take it to a band saw with the smallest teeth you can find (want it to cut not rip) and saw about the firewall line. When you are done set the side with the wing on it over some ¼ inch ply and trace the inside with a felt tip pen cut it out and sand it to fit (remember to cut a little big). Now do the same with the cowl on 1/8 marine ply, this one will be hollowed out once in place to yield a very small (in width bulkhead) at the very back of the cowl. Once this is in place the original firewall can be dremeled out or down to a thin bulkhead also. To hold it on the plane us screws just like you would to hold on a cowl (that is what it is). Mount your engine with the high speed needle going up! Then fit it like a cowl.

That is how we fit .29 & .30’s.

Joe