Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 returning to hobby >

returning to hobby

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

returning to hobby

Old 04-25-2007, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default returning to hobby

First wanted to say hello to all as I am new to the forum. I have a question and looking for different opinions. I left the hobby about 5 years years ago maybe more. At that time I was comfortably flying an aresti, piper cub,and an ultra stick 40. Now I was no Somenzini but I could do loops,rolls, very basic maneuvers. And occasionally land in one piece! LOL What should I come back into this with? I would rather not do a trainer again what do you guys think? Of course I can fly the heck out of the simulator! I also have been flying,hovering a heli the lasdt 3 mos. Any input is appreciated.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:37 PM

Default RE: returning to hobby

Ya got any of those old planes hanging around?

I got back into it a little more than a year ago after 10+ not flying. I put a couple of my old planes back into flying shape. Got a new TX and new batteries all round. And found someone at the field to help me get the feel for flying again. You don't forget but the jittery thumbs are there and it's good to have help at first.

The guy that helped me at our field has a trainer that he takes new people up on just to get some stick time in. Most times the planes newbie's bring out aren't ready to go. And rather than waste a trip there's something to fly. Maybe there is someone at you field that has a trainer that you could get some stick time on just to get the feel back then decide what you feel comfortable flying.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:05 PM

I'm not familiar with the aresti, but if the Sim and the heli aren't giving you any problems. 5 years really isn't that long. I'd fly the cub or the Ultra Stick without worrying. I got back in the end of last year with an ultra stick .60 and I still have it, in one piece, no crashes after a 15 year break from the hobby. Probably jinxed myself now.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:36 PM

You'll do fine with very little time in the air. I found it like riding a bike. I had been out of the hobby for 15 years and then got back into it. I built a new tranier thinking I would need to put in serious time to get my wings back. I was wrong. I went up with an instructor and started doing circles around the field. I was bored after the third time so I rolled it and looped it and the instructor got shaken up and told me I'm done training. So I went solo on the next flight and it all came back to me. I got rid of the trainer a month later because it was boring. Took out a 15 year old scratch built doubler and went nuts.
Just get a flight or two with someone assisting and you will probably be ready to solo on the second or third flight.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:38 PM

Nope none of the old planes left but I have a DX7 radio for my helis and a stater glo igniter etc. I guess I'll have to get an ultra stick 40 or something like that and just give it a go.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:58 PM

Waross and I have a lot in common. I was out of the hobby for 15 years and got back into it. Kids grown and out of college so I have a little money to spend on me. I got back into it with a Goldberg Eagle II and a simulator. Like Waross I soloed on my second trip to the feild and was doing some entry level tricks. On my second tank of fuel was doing nothig but touch and goes. It does not take long to get your thumbs back. I have always liked trainers and the way they fly. I am building a Mid Star 40 for improving my aerobatics. It was just a matter of getting my confidence back. Once you get your confidence back the sky is the limit. What has amazed me is the advances in technology in the sport. I have spent countless hours just getting caught up on that.
Good luck you will do fine.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:48 AM

well I may start with an ugly stick type plane we shall see.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:50 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts

I think with your previous experience and with the help of a qualified trainer at your local field on a buddy box setup, any high wing plane would work. one of my early planes was the sweet Stick and it was an excellent flyer.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:52 PM

Goldberg Tiger 2 with an O.S. 46 AX would be nice.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:35 AM

I, too, am getting back in after several years out. I sold everything but a Sig Kougar, one radio system, and some motors (unfortunately three of the four motors i had got stolen last week). I am putting a magnum XL .46 on the Kougar, hope to be flying soon. Back when I was flying, i flew a kougar with a fox .40 a LOT, I remember how gentle it was but still very aerobatic...this is what I will start with. I plan on jumping in with both feet, no trainer, no instructor. (moved down south 5 years ago, I don't know anyone here with a trainer, no organized club in my town).

I figure if I set her up with gentle throws and do a few touch and go's, I shoud get the feel back pretty quickly.
[8D]
Old 05-23-2007, 04:51 PM
My Feedback: (9)

I had qiut for 5 years. Came back with a doc Mathews 4-40. Good little sport plane. First flight stalled and broke the firewall and gear. Oh well[&o]. After repairing and about 5-6 more flights moved to a Super Sportester .60. Comes back real easy. Just remember the high banked turns are not for now but for later. good luck in your comeback!

All airplanes have an expiration date, just not published. I read that somewhere a few years back.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:39 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a fun fly something like a Model Tech Magic http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/.../MODMagic.html

Reduce the movements and set it up with expo if you have that facility. They fly slowly, so you have time to think and have no bad habits in the air. The only difficulty you will have is steering it on the ground.

These are great for building confidence.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Rayderluvr

I, too, am getting back in after several years out. I plan on jumping in with both feet, no trainer, no instructor. (moved down south 5 years ago, I don't know anyone here with a trainer, no organized club in my town).
If you want to get help, there are a couple of clubs within 25 miles of Nevada, MO.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx
I randomly picked zip code 64772