Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 What to do with OS .40LA >

What to do with OS .40LA

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

What to do with OS .40LA

Old 05-02-2007, 11:26 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to do with OS .40LA

Howdy Gents(and ladies, if any are present)!

As my free time has dwindled and my transportation situation has become unfavorable for the larger planes I have on hand(it's hard to fit a one-piece wing over about 55" or a bipe into a Mustang convertible), I find myself flying my small 1/2A glow ships and <200watt electrics more often and letting the bigger stuff, for example, the 55" Tiger Moth and the Kadet LT-25, stay at home and collect dust.

I really have no use for the Kadet these days, as I have electric trainers to relax and/or teach with, and it's a pain to fit in the car. There's bound to be someone in our club who needs a trainer, so I was thinking to put up a sale notice at the field offering the Kadet complete less receiver and rx pack. However, if that doesn't work out...

I would like some suggestions of a decent sport aerobatic plane that will fly well on an OS .40LA. It has to be an ARF or ARC(I love kits, but with my firstborn due in less than two months, it's going to be hard to find flying time, let alone building time for a while). A two piece wing would be nice for ease of transport. Really beyond that, I'm open--sport-scale, sport-pattern, quasi fun-fly, speed demon, etc. If there's really a dearth of planes this engine is suitable for, I would consider upping to a .46 bushed or cheap .40bb engine, but I'm trying to save cash here.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What to do with OS .40LA

Stick it in a .30 plane.

I took mine and put in in a 48" Model Tech 300S Extra .30.

The thing is a rocket with a 10x6 prop.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a thought:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=766
Old 05-02-2007, 12:22 PM

Yeah another good suggestion...

Although I don't know why the reviewer mounted the engine upright like that.

The LA could have been almost completely hidden if mounted at 45 degrees head down.

I've also mounted several .46's on the Ultimate 40S planes inverted with both Pitts, stock, and Macs mufflers, all look pretty good.

The Pitts muffler looks fairly authentic. the stock muffler looks good being the only thing sticking out of the left hand side, and the Macs looks quite aggressive, following the countours of the cowl.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:15 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I have good news and bad news, BuzzBomber. The good news is you can start shopping for a nice 1.20 size ARF because you'll have no trouble fitting it inside of your next car.

The bad news is that your Mustang convertible is soon going to be a memory, so you may want to get a few photos of it while you still own it.

I'm no psychic, but once you experience the joys of trying to fit car seats, diaper bags, strollers, and heaven knows what else into a Mustang convertible, there will be an SUV or Minivan in your not-too-distant future.

"It can't happen to me. I can keep my Mustang convertible." Keep telling yourself that for as long as you can make yourself believe it.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:35 PM

Hey now wait a minute, I have hauled our 2 year old around in my Mustang for 2 years now. Every day to the babysitter and back with no problems, however there would be no chance of her AND a plane! That is when you'll buy the SUV like I did, when you realize you can have as many planes as you want any size but you also have to get them to the field to be able to fly them. (This is where I killed 2 birds with 1 stone )---> Here honey I bought you an SUV like you've always wanted, BUT you must let me use it every weekend and it will smell like nitro!
Old 05-02-2007, 03:52 PM

Rotfl!

After we passed the "mini-van" stage, I ended up keeping the beast after upgrading my wife's car. Then I rippped all of the rear seats completely out on it.

I now have a wing carrier mounted from the roof, and I have no problems getting 140-180 (35cc) planes out to the field with it.

I seem to be the only one who likes to ride in it now.

---

So get your SUV, and choose judiciously, as it may have a far longer lifespan than you anticipate.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw one in a global Tequila sunrise ARF. The comination worked well. Another option is a World Models Sky Raider Mach-II. It flys pretty good with the .40 LA.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:00 PM

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

I have good news and bad news, BuzzBomber. The good news is you can start shopping for a nice 1.20 size ARF because you'll have no trouble fitting it inside of your next car.

The bad news is that your Mustang convertible is soon going to be a memory, so you may want to get a few photos of it while you still own it.

I'm no psychic, but once you experience the joys of trying to fit car seats, diaper bags, strollers, and heaven knows what else into a Mustang convertible, there will be an SUV or Minivan in your not-too-distant future.

"It can't happen to me. I can keep my Mustang convertible." Keep telling yourself that for as long as you can make yourself believe it.
My wife and I got married and drove away from the church in my 1967 Mustang... I took her to the hospital to have my babies in that car... I paddled my oldest but for writing on the back of the seat of that car (when she was a toddler) 15 years latter... I still have that car. DONT GIVE UP THE DREAM.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:05 PM

ORIGINAL: BuzzBomber
I would like some suggestions of a decent sport aerobatic plane that will fly well on an OS .40LA.
1. World Models Sky Raider Mach 2
2. ModelTech Magic Extra 300L
3. Great Planes Super Sportster 40
4. SIG Four Star 40

All great flying very aerobatically capable ARFS and will perform nicely with a 40LA. Offering different flying styles, parasite drag not an issue with either due either size (Sky Raider/Sportster) or speed (Magic Extra 300L), and at circa 2.1KG (4½lb) dry with a 40LA up front driving a 10½x5 Bolly prop, they'll perform smooth and capable aerobatics. They won't have "unlimited vertical" with the 40LA, but it will fly them in the vertical sufficiently for adequate execution of primary manoeuvres including combos. eg: loop with roll on top is fine, but top hat with equidistant sustained vertical segments carrying sufficient energy through over the top to maintain constant speed would be an unreasonable ask.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:15 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I'll look up the ones I'm not familiar with, and refresh my memory of those I forgot about. If anybody has any other suggestions that haven't been listed yet, please add them.

Oh, and the Mustang isn't going anywhere soon; it's only two years old and my wife wants to replace her Corolla anyway. Besides, when I bought the Mustang, I made sure the back seat was actually usable and accessible for people, it even has the LATCH anchors for the baby seats. It's just not good for hauling planes, what with the lack of a folding rear seat and smaller trunk.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:19 PM

Sig Kobra - you would have a nice rocket ship there.

Dan

Edit: Sorry, it was late here when I posted - see that you need an ARF. Kobra goes together pretty quick though...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57390.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	676807  
Old 05-03-2007, 02:33 PM

Dan,

I've always liked the looks of the Kobra and its siblings, but, yeah, I need an ARF for the time being--exception would be a "really fast build" laser cut kit with a low parts count. I have two old-school Sig kits hanging around already(the 1/6th scale Cub and a Fazer). Thanks for the thought anyway.

-Matt
Old 05-06-2007, 08:30 AM

World Models LA Racer, made for that particular engine. Its small an fast.

Ronnie
Old 05-08-2007, 06:45 PM
My Feedback: (9)

I will second the LA racer however the Hanger 9 pulse xt has a two piece wing it probably wont fly well on a 40 LA but a super tiger 40 for$50 or the 45 for $60 at tower will fly the plane very well I get great performance from the ST40 on my pulse. Greg
Old 05-09-2007, 12:36 AM

The Phoenix low wing sonic is great with an LA40. My friend has had several, and has really enjoyed them. While designed for a smaller engine, the LA is a light weight 40, and although considered a very mild engine, this combination gives a very lively performance.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:59 AM

REALLY nice looking plane there!
Old 05-09-2007, 10:08 AM
My Feedback: (35)

I would say either the Pheonix Sonic low wing or the Tower Uproar. I've had both with LA 40/46's and both flew awesome.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:31 PM

Can the Kobra be built with retracts?
Old 05-10-2007, 04:16 PM

Any .25-.30 sports plane will be great with it. It about the same weight as a normal .32 BB engine.

Seen a Pilot Supra Fly .25 at my club with it and I've used one briefly in my Pilot Seduction 25 (RIP). It's just right that kind of planes with a 10x6 or 9x7 prop. Cruising at around 1/2 throttle and effortless vertical climbs until out of sight.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:54 AM

How about the Thunder Tiger Lazy Tiger. It's a .25 sized plane but I use a 46LA in mine with a 3-blade prop. Flies great, it's an ARF and I can transport it without taking the wing off. Tower had them for about $100 but I think they discontinued them but Thunder Tiger had them on their website. GREAT flying plane and it will tumble in the air like nobody's business but yet slow down to almost a crawl. Check it out!
www.thundertiger.com kit #4529

Old 05-13-2007, 11:26 AM
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: TCrafty

How about the Thunder Tiger Lazy Tiger. It's a .25 sized plane but I use a 46LA in mine with a 3-blade prop. Flies great, it's an ARF and I can transport it without taking the wing off. Tower had them for about $100 but I think they discontinued them but Thunder Tiger had them on their website. GREAT flying plane and it will tumble in the air like nobody's business but yet slow down to almost a crawl. Check it out!
www.thundertiger.com kit #4529

Inifinite Hobbies stocks the Thunder Tiger Lazy Tiger

[link=http://www.infinitehobbies.com/moreinfo.php?pid=5948&PHPSESSID=ec563825be5ccc96f9 b2c84a1612fcfa]Infinite Hobbies[/link]

They offer free ground shipping on orders $100 or higher, so the $119.99 price would include delivery.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:39 AM

E Hobbies has the lazy tiger for 79.99

http://www.ehobbies.com/ttr4530.html

Ronnie
Old 05-13-2007, 12:43 PM

that is for the Cub. I've got the Lazy Tiger 51 which is like a Mustang. Either one, I'm sure would be great to fly. The mustang has a lot of chord on the wing so it isn't anything like a scale mustang in how it flies. but, it does look great with a 3 or 4 blade prop. I'll try and post some pics tomorrow. I LOVE it with the LA engines. I had a 40 and that did fine with a two-blade prop, the 46 handles the 3 blade prop very well.

If you could get the Mustang for 79 bucks, it's a great deal.