Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Goldberg Tiger 2 vs Sig Midstar 40 >

Goldberg Tiger 2 vs Sig Midstar 40

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Goldberg Tiger 2 vs Sig Midstar 40

Old 05-09-2007, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Tiger 2 vs Sig Midstar 40

Hi everyone,

Hearing great things about both these aircraft. Finishing my trainer (Eagle 2), joining a club but since I have a baby coming, I am looking to buy my next plane before I'm not allowed to!

Wondering people's thoughts on these, why choose one over the next and overall recommendations. This will be my second plane so consider that I will be be on the cusp of beginner to intermediate in flying and intermediate in building.

Thanks in advance for thoughtful advice,

Cheers,

HollywoodHitman
Old 05-09-2007, 11:39 PM

Default RE: Goldberg Tiger 60 vs Sig Midstar

Here's some thought
With the baby coming and all the (very good) turmoil that will bring to your life, buy two planes

Seriously though, if you can't get away with that - they are both excellent planes, I'd lean towards the Tiger out of the two as a newbie second plane.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:53 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Tiger 2 vs Sig Midstar 40

I would also go with the Tiger in your position. It is the best "Second" airplane IMHO

It's very stable, very smooth, but it is still VERY good at aerobatics when you're ready for them.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:35 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Both are great. My second plane was a Mid Star. I thought they didn't make them anymore. I kitbashed mine by making it a taildragger, adding wheelpants and an enclosed cowl. I really have fond memories of flying that plane. Semi-Symetrical wing so it's aerobatic too.

Dave
Old 05-10-2007, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; My vote goes to the Mid-star 40 built as a tail dragger. I think you'll find that you can't build the Tiger as a tail dragger without a major redesign and a lot of compromises. Maybe you have guessed, I prefer tail draggers.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:21 PM

You won't go wrong either way. I'm partial to the Midstar though.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:37 PM

Maybe you are, but the Tiger is a better second plane
Old 05-10-2007, 10:54 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Well, that settles it. Great Planes Rapture it is then!
Old 05-10-2007, 10:59 PM

Hey Ed
He asked about the Goldberg Tiger and the Sig Mid Star
Neither one is a Great Plane(s) - One's a Goldberg and the Other's a Sig
Old 05-11-2007, 03:07 AM

WOO HOO!

I like this. Can you guys fill me in on what makes each plane stand out for you against the other? I'm going to buy one or the other, so it's the little things I am looking into really. I'm seeing the Tiger2 standing out, not only in this thread, but in some other posts as well. Each plane seems to stand out to individuals for certain reasons and I am trying to find out why before I make a decision.

Cheers,

HH
Old 05-11-2007, 04:56 AM
My Feedback: (27)

I also have to recommend the Tiger 2. It is a VERY easy taildragger conversion, flies smoother (and easier) than my Avistar trainer, and yet is very capable of precision aerobatics. It's also available as both a kit (which is a very good beginners kit as well) and ARF. I flew one for almost 2 years before I wrecked it - I enjoyed it so much that I'm now building a Tiger 60 just because I want to keep a Tiger available. You would not be disappointed with it. Good Luck,
Old 05-11-2007, 07:39 AM

I'll tell you about my first experience with a Tiger:

I had a student who was one of those kids that "wanted to go right out and start flying and didn't think he needed training and didn't like the way trainers looked, etc. etc."

I convinced him that he had to start with a trainer and he reluctantly got one and built it (Pre-ARF days) and I was giving him lessons.

Well, sure enough after a few lessons he thought he was good enough to go out on his own, and he totalled his trainer.

So he comes back to me and shows me his next plane - A Tiger II. I told him that he was NOT ready for a low-wing plane, and NOT ready for a fully symmetrical wing, and he should take it back and get another trainer. Of course, he didn't listen and built the Tiger.

So the day finally came when I was going to maiden it for him. I told him that we wouldn't set up the buddy box yet because it was only the maiden flight. I would take it up, trim it out, and make sure all was well, then I'd bring it in and IF - and ONLY IF - I thought he could handle it, THEN we would set up the buddy box.

Well, I took off, trimmed it out, and immediately fell in love. I was amazed at how well it flew. Loops, rolls, hammer heads, and STABLE!

I was so sure that he wasn't going to be able to fly it, but I had to eat my own words. After a few minutes, he asked if I was ever going to land. It was only then that I realized how long I had been enjoying the flight.

I liked it so much that I went out that evening and bought one for my son (Who I was also teaching at the time)
Old 05-11-2007, 04:28 PM

Sofar the Tiger 2 is in the lead!!!
Old 05-11-2007, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both are great choices. The Tiger is a smoother flying plane because of its long tail moment and low wing, the Mid Star might be capable of more snappy aerobatics because of its slightly smaller size. I think that the Mid Star would be easier to convert to a taildragger, simply move the ply landing gear mount forward and install a tail wheel. I tend to like Sig's quality over Goldberg's but thats JMO. How about a Four Star??

-Johnny-
Old 05-11-2007, 06:58 PM

I have built and flown 3 tiger 11's,still have two in my hanger. Like Minnflyer sayes great airplane, just don't hit fence posts at the end of the runway when you pullup after a low pass.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43411.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	682439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24388.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	682440   Click image for larger version

Name:	In25832.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	682441  
Old 05-11-2007, 07:03 PM

Ouch!
Old 05-11-2007, 07:44 PM

Alot of you guys are talking about converting to a tail dragger. I'm actually interested in tail draggers because I'd love to build some warbirds and get into that sort of thing eventually.

I'm building an CG Eagle 2 right now and I'm finding it relatively easy to work with. Part of me is interested in trying a new manufacturer but then again I'm keen on going with an aircraft I can develop my skills with. I'm getting ahead of myself with a new plane obviously, but like I mentioned baby coming!!!

I've been also reading things about the Tiger 60, about how much more stable an aircraft it is........So adding one more twist to this discussion......Please keep the suggestions and info coming.

Cheers,

HH
Old 05-11-2007, 08:54 PM

I had a Tiger 60 also. Just as good as the 40, but larger so it's more visible. I like it with an OS 91 Surpass 4-stroke
Old 05-11-2007, 09:02 PM
My Feedback: (27)

I haven't flown a 60 (yet), but I anticipate it to be just as nice as the T2 - only bigger.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:41 PM

I have built and flown both planes and like them equally. Mid Star is more of a lifty-floaty plane, very easy and fast to build. Tiger 2 is more of a fast smooth pattern type flyer. Tiger 2 lands very well, the 3 wheels with short struts really stick to the ground upon touch down.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:05 PM

I have built several Tiger 2 and i have a tiger 60 aswell, i love the way they fly. . . .you canreally play with them and for such a stable aeroplane they are incredibly aerobatic. I have included a photo of my two. The Tiger 2 is in the foreground with an OS 46 SF and the Tiger 60 has a OS 91 FX!

Name:	Bz77418.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	683148  
Old 05-13-2007, 02:03 AM

Very nice! I'm leaning towards the Tiger 60 at this point....

Today I signed up with a club, had my first live R/C flight on the club trainer. Managed to move from ovals to figure 8's on one tank of fuel. I'm hooked!!!
Old 05-13-2007, 07:21 AM

Heh Heh Heh

Name:	Ki19695.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	683386  
Old 05-13-2007, 07:47 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Hollywood, I recently finished a kit built modified Tiger 60. I removed over 10" of wingspan and designed it like a pattern plane.
after 15 flights I can say it is a very stable excellent flying airplane. once properly trimmed it will maintain level flight excellent
landings are uneventful. Yesterday we were flying in 12-15 mph winds with 20mph gusts all crosswind and because of my limited
experience I was a little nervous on the first 2 flights, but the tiger took care of me and flew like a dream. Rolls are easy and
it will fly the sportsman pattern schedule quite nicely.

Good luck with your choice

Name:	Om32072.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	683391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35344.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	683392  
Old 05-13-2007, 11:05 AM

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

Hey Ed
He asked about the Goldberg Tiger and the Sig Mid Star
Neither one is a Great Plane(s) - One's a Goldberg and the Other's a Sig
No fear, aussiesteve, I'm well acquainted with the Goldberg Tiger 2:

That's my Tiger 2 flying, and you can just make out the stuffed tiger pilot mascot under the canopy. I haven't built or flown a Midstar yet, but I sure wouldn't mind giving one a try sometime.

I just threw the Great Planes Rapture name into the thread as a joke. Since the original poster couldn't decide between a Tiger 2 and a Midstar, I wanted to throw the Rapture .40 kit out as a suggestion to confuse him more. It's a terrific flying kit, and it's designed as a tail-dragger. I'm surprised more sport pilots don't look at the GP Rapture .40, but if we don't talk about it then folks won't know it's a great option as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.