Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Are they building Tx's with an on/off switch for throttle?!!!! >

Are they building Tx's with an on/off switch for throttle?!!!!

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Are they building Tx's with an on/off switch for throttle?!!!!

Old 05-12-2007, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are they building Tx's with an on/off switch for throttle?!!!!

Okay, maybe because it's late, maybe because my dog didn't listen to me when I wanted him to or maybe, just maybe, I'm an arrogant jerk who can't mind his own business. But, why is throttle control so uncommon? I mean, I fly with a great bunch of guys at our club but there are some guys who MUST have an on/off switch on their tx's for throttle. A typical flight is to go to "on" position, crank and bank, trying not to let the plane get ahead of you, when tank is empty, switch to the "off" position and prepare yourself for a controlled crash. There's a reason they used a rheostat on that stick!

I just read a post here where a guy had a larger engine in his plane but it fluttered his ailerons so he put a smaller engine in it. I've got the "large" engine in the very same plane and it flies it around nicely, and slow I might add.

I've said for some time that overpowering a plane is one way to teach a new student throttle control. If a puny engine has to run at max rpm to keep the plane flying, he'll never learn how to pull back on the stick. Then, when he does get a plane with a better power to weight ratio, to adjust his rate of climb, he'll just trim out the elevator to keep it from climbing.

For some reason, this gets me going much like a guy or girl driving slow in the left lane for miles with a train of cars behind them and no one in the lane to their right. Then again, maybe I'm better off being a hermit.

thanks for listening, I think we've really made some headway in this session!
Old 05-13-2007, 06:56 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts
Default RE: Are they building Tx's with an on/off switch for throttle?!!!!

Hehe yep, I call that the two position throttle toggle, FLY and LAND.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:57 AM
My Feedback: (2)

You are just noticing this...
Half my club have their throttle on an on/off switch

and the scary part is that most of the people are flying about 150' to 250' behind their own airplanes.....
Old 05-13-2007, 12:50 PM

I was a little apprehensive about making that post because, well, I've not reached perfection either but it really hit me yesterday while I was at the field. I'm glad that I'm not the only one that feels this way. I know we'll probably never change the way life is but maybe, just maybe, we can save a few.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:02 PM
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

You are just noticing this...
Half my club have their throttle on an on/off switch

Only half the people? i would have to say probably 80 percent. Gotta admit at least you know when they're landing. the only time the throttle is pulled back.