Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Should I get a hydrofoam?? >

Should I get a hydrofoam??

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Should I get a hydrofoam??

Old 05-15-2007, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get a hydrofoam??

I am new to flying rc planes in general and have a few questions. First of all I'm looking at getting a hydrofoam specifically this one ' Triphibian Hydrofoam RTF'. I'm looking at getting that one mostly because I found a place I can buy extra batery packs and other spair parts for it and I can get it for about $130 fully asembled. Does anybody know anything about this paticular hydrofoam? Is there any reason I should be looking at getting a different one instead? Also I have never flown any rc plane befor. I do plan on keeping the hydrofoam on the ground entirly for the first couple of flights and then slowly working my way up foot by foot into the air and maybe even taking my first couple of flights on a pond. I like the concept of the hydrofoams, but would the hydrofaom be to difficult to handle and break to easily for a beginner even considering how I plan on working my way up to flight?

Basically any feedback on the subject of hydrofoams at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:21 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Should I get a hydrofoam??

Can you post a link?
Old 05-15-2007, 11:26 AM

A Hydrofoam as a first plane?

Ouch!

These are very responsive planes with elevon type mixing.

Not really a good choice for a trainer.

Consider flying something else first, then working your way to the Hydrofoam.

Get it now if you wish, but fly something else first, preferably join a club.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:58 AM

The link to the page is here

http://www.online-ezshopping.com/default.asp?SID=xN9EL5T68VB4EM5DPA8YVH&S=503&A=E&P KV=EZ-Triphibian|0

in case you're wondering about the dicrepency in price. I can get it for about 100 less on e-bay.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:12 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Bryan:

It says on the site that "this is not a beginners airplane". That is simply because any Hydrofoam is basically unstable in the air. It takes a very experienced pilot to fly one without crashing it.

Also, the Triphibian is made from Depron. Depron is a very light, but very weak, material. If you are not careful, you will break it just picking it up. Obviously, when you crash it, the damage will be severe.

If you want a short-lived toy to have a few thrills with, then go for it. But if you actually want to learn to fly RC airplanes, go to a hobby shop or to www.modelaircraft.org and find the nearest club. They will steer you right. Then after you have been flying for a couple of years, you can pick up a Hydrofoam and actually make it last more than a flight or two.

One final word. The radio system that comes with the Triphibian is not really useable in a real model airplane, so after you break the Triphibian, you will have to start over from scratch.

Jim