Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Maiden!

Old 05-30-2007, 04:25 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maiden!

Flew my new Pheonix Models Extra 300S ARF for the first time today. After not flying for 5 1/2 years. Initial take off I was extremely nervous. Once airborn My hands were shaking and my heart racing. I was scared #@%&less!!! I only had to adjust elevator trim a couple of clicks and it was flying straight and true. I made four low passes as if I was landing to get the feel of it and then brought her in for a landing. It wants to come in pretty hot, but she came in straight and true, with a little flare she was down with just a little hop. WoW!!!! I was nervous!!!! Maiden flight was a sucess. Second, third, and last flight of the day was a sucess, lost the shakes and all was well.

Plane is set up with a Futaba 4 ch Skysport radio and a Tower Hobbies .46 engine with a pitts muffler and 11 X 6 scimatar prop. I read about every post on here about the good and the bad about that engine(most of them bad) and I came to the conclusion that if I did a couple of things to the engine before hand to make sure there were no air leaks etc, and broke it in really good that it would be the best engine for this plane. The engine ran great! No problems at all. Great transition from idle to full throttle and back down to idle and plenty of power. It did not run hot at all. Starts as soon as you put the starter to it. In my opinion I would buy one of these engines for every 40 size plane I ever have. Great Engine!!
Old 05-30-2007, 07:09 PM

Default RE: Maiden!

Now you can experiment with moving your CG up just a little. Shift some weight to the rear to give the elevator just a little more authority. You'll be landing tailwheel first in no tome.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:25 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree. A plane that comes in hot is usually a sign of it being a little nose heavy
Old 05-31-2007, 06:32 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the info, I will try that. When balanced according to the plans with an empty tank it balances level. I dont really mind it coming in hot. Maybe it's just me cause I haven't flown in 6 years, or it could be that the last planes I flew reguarly were Sig Kougar, Sig King Kobra, and a modified Extra 300(Great planes 40 size fuslage with a Hobbico 60 size wing and 60 engine) that plane was awsome! As were the King Kobra and Kougar. Those planes I could slow down to a crawl on landings. I've flown alot of different planes and to me it just seemed a little hot coming in.