Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 CRAM A SPE26 in a Hangar 9 Sopwith Camel..will it fit? will it fly? >

CRAM A SPE26 in a Hangar 9 Sopwith Camel..will it fit? will it fly?

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

CRAM A SPE26 in a Hangar 9 Sopwith Camel..will it fit? will it fly?

Old 06-01-2007, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRAM A SPE26 in a Hangar 9 Sopwith Camel..will it fit? will it fly?

I might just give it a try. Seems to have enough room and the heavy weight box on the firewall may not be needed! any info out there? I just gotta go gas on this bipe!
ricky.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:50 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: CRAM A SPE26 in a Hangar 9 Sopwith Camel..will it fit? will it fly?

I know a G-20 Zenoah will fit, and is plenty power, too.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:43 PM

Is'nt the spe26 lighter a bit smaller if not same more or less and doesnt it have a better ignition ( draws less current and better spark timing control?) if power is too much can't i limit throtle end point. rick.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:32 PM

a guy i work with gave me a 16cc hedge trimmer for my h9 camel. OK, let's see if i got this straight. lot's of cowling room, very light wing loading, i like to tinker, it's free, g20ei too much power, still thinking.......
Old 06-10-2007, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Planes that fly on the wing allow the poor power to weight ratios of weedie conversions, especially if they would require additional nose weight anyway. Go for it without expecting anything beyond scale performance.

I had a Phaeton 90 build that I had no engine for but did have a free weedie. Doing the conversion myself (prop hub, exhaust stack, mount, and velocity stack) the total investment in the motor was a carb rebuild kit ($12). Power is limited to old biplane scale performance but the plane is fun to fly and very cheap to operate...uses 3-4 oz of cheap gas per flight and needs very little clean up after flying.

So...I'd suggest that if vertical and outside performance can be compromised... a conversion should be doable on that plane. Certainly the plane meets the criteria of being a floater that requires extra nose weight.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:04 PM

thanks, i agree with you and it sounds like you are speaking with experience. I didnt expect much other than a lesser expensive fun floater.